• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A visit from Mr Fox at 8.15am today. Please advise

maisydaisystar

Alpha Buck
We had our first (known) visit from a fox this morning, my husband noticed it walking on the grass area in the back garden which is close to the house and rabbits, it then jumped the small fence into the back part of our garden, which is more like an orchard (very big), it layed down in the sun and was eating the grass,My husband scared it away.
We do not know if the fox came right upto the rabbit hutch or not?
I knew the fox was around but had never seen it before in our garden.
When we went out to work hubby put a temporary scarecrow out on the patio as a deterrent.
Two problems I have are, I have two very small yorkies, should I supervise them when they need to go out to the toilet?
Also my Rabbits which are on the concrete very close to the house in a Happy Hutch and run combo, they like to have access to the run 24/7, I have a cover which covers the whole hutch and extends almost completley over the run too, I really don't want to lock them in their hutch as I know they will hate it, What should I do????????? Never had this problem before.

My neighbours Yorkie was killed by a Fox :cry:

Personally I could not have outdoor Rabbits if I knew for certain a Fox was a visitor to my garden. Infact that is the exact reason why I dont have outdoor Rabbits.

I dont know how secure a HH run is but the mesh would need to be galvanised and double layered. Padlocks are a must for the hutch.
But just the sight of a Fox can be enough to scare a hutch/Runbound Rabbit to death :cry:

I do have padlocks on the hutch,but am aware that if a fox wanted to it will persist, I will definatly go out with my yorkies every time they need to go out, I can't make the rabbits house rabbits, as I have no space, otherwise I would.

I also have a HH combo and a fox visitor... it used to come 2 or three times a night. I would really recommend a FoxWatch as my Mr F hasn't been to visit in about 2 months. Although I have just jinxed it now! :shock: However I don't allow 24/7 run access any more... :(

In fact I was driving home about half an hour ago, came round the corner and Mr F was standing in the middle of the road just looking at me... :evil:

Hi,

I have double wire on my hutches and runs, padlocks on hutches , wire under runs you name it I've got it.

Foxes are around day and night so you must do everything you can. Unless you are 100% sure you runs are secure be careful day and night.

Small dogs and cats are at risk these days.

Post photos if you want us to see if we can make any suggestions.

Maureen

I do have padlocks on the hutch,but am aware that if a fox wanted to it will persist, I will definatly go out with my yorkies every time they need to go out, I can't make the rabbits house rabbits, as I have no space, otherwise I would.

A small thing you could do to try an discourage the fox is to get a male to pee around the perimeter of your garden. This is meant to put them off a little. No substitute for proper security though but a free thing to try.

well i have just been out to put the rabbits away, as I had decided to lock them in their hutch tonight, but every time i tried to get them in they evaded me, when I did get them in by tempting them with their supper, I opened the front door to pull the ramp out and close the hatch and as soon as I opened it they ran down the ramp little beggars. I have given up, I have padlocked the hutch, and the cover I have comes almost to the ground, They are just outside my bedroom window, so will leave the window open tonight, so the dogs will bark if they hear anything.
This morning i asked my husband to pee around the garden tonight, but he decided to stay at our pub restaurant tonight, so isn't coming back, I didn't fancy squatting in the garden myself lol,I also hear female pee doesn't work the same ??????? So that let me off the hook.

My neighbours Yorkie was killed by a Fox :cry:

Personally I could not have outdoor Rabbits if I knew for certain a Fox was a visitor to my garden. Infact that is the exact reason why I dont have outdoor Rabbits.

I dont know how secure a HH run is but the mesh would need to be galvanised and double layered. Padlocks are a must for the hutch.
But just the sight of a Fox can be enough to scare a hutch/Runbound Rabbit to death :cry:

Jane I never knew all 43 of your bunnies live inside! I bet your whole house is taken up! How do you fit them all in?

I worried about leaving my two with access to their run overnight, but then people expressed the view on here that foxes are around during the day as well, so if it's safe enough for day time use then the same applies at night.

Make sure that all the mesh is securely attached to the wooden frame - the Happy Hutch wire is stapled on, so dh used some U shaped nails to make sure the mesh wasn't easy to pull out.

Would buying an aviary be an option? Mine is well built and very sturdy and ive double meshed it to be extra safe. You could keep the hutch and run combo in there and lock them in that as usual at night for extra protection?

A playhouse or a shed (with an attached run) would be bigger and more secure than most hutches. I have my lot in a playhouse, which they are shut into at night (with padlocks).

We have had buunies in an aviay type structure in the garden for years. We also have lots of foxes and badgers running around. As long as the avairy is covered in strong wire (not chicken wire which foxes can chew through easily) and placed on concrete or paving stones then a fox is not going to break in. I know our local fox inspects the cage for weaknesses regularly - he left a little poo to let us know last week :lol:

ALSO make sure you rabbits have a secure place to hide inside the aviary where they can't see the fox and it can't see them. I think the advantages of having them outside outweigh the disadvantage of having them scared by foxes.

Foxes are bound to be out and about a lot at the moment as they'll start to have babies to provide for. I always check on my rabbits lots when they are in the garden in pens for this reason - I think it's just a matter of assuming trouble and preparing for it. I have nore problems with the neighbours:censored: dog breaking in than any little fox!

Ours have a HH combo in the garage as we have foxes, I would definately modify the hutch and add more mesh etc as I wouldn't trust ours outside, although my DIY skills probably didn't help! I think the foxwatch effects dogs as well so could drive your dogs nuts. When the pigs were in the garden at night I put run panels, and garden chairs etc around the hutch so at least Mr Fox couldn't get anywhere without making noise. Although thats no good if you're not in :(

Ummm err :oops:- I think the idea is to maybe for hubby to use an old watering can indoors then you can spray the perimeter.:lol::lol: and apparently it doesnt work with female urine-something to do with the smell of hormones I think?-Sue:wave:

This morning i asked my husband to pee around the garden tonight, but he decided to stay at our pub restaurant tonight, so isn't coming back, I didn't fancy squatting in the garden myself lol,I also hear female pee doesn't work the same ??????? So that let me off the hook.

Back