• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gagging-like behaviour

kayw1

Young Bun
Hi All,

My rabbit has dental problems which are filed back regularly. I have recently noticed some strange behaviour. When I gave him some coriander or anything long, he will chomp on it and then makes a movement like he wants to be sick then uses both paws and pulls the end out then carries on eating.

He is very wet around the right jaw area but I am presuming this is to do with his teeth. He is also eating a lot more slowly.

Please can anyone tell me if they have seen this before and what it is?

Hi All,

My rabbit has dental problems which are filed back regularly. I have recently noticed some strange behaviour. When I gave him some coriander or anything long, he will chomp on it and then makes a movement like he wants to be sick then uses both paws and pulls the end out then carries on eating.

He is very wet around the right jaw area but I am presuming this is to do with his teeth. He is also eating a lot more slowly.

Please can anyone tell me if they have seen this before and what it is?

It sounds like he's having difficulty eating and is overdue for another dental i'm afraid

Thanks for your replies. I am taking him to the vet on Wednesday to have myxi jab and check over. Can I ask if regular dental treatment is distressing for them? I understand how very important it is to do it but it does worry mee how stressed Floppy gets and whether it will affect him health wise. Normally he is a very sweet natured and happy rabbit.

Fluffy had dentals every 10 weeks approx. He didnt like being in the carrier so was always desperate to get out.Initially after the dentals I used to keep him in his hutch as he was a bit sleepy but laterly I just used to let him out as he recovered very quickly [especially after we changed vets].I never had any problems getting him to eat after,:) but each bunny is different :)

Thanks for your replies. I am taking him to the vet on Wednesday to have myxi jab and check over. Can I ask if regular dental treatment is distressing for them? I understand how very important it is to do it but it does worry mee how stressed Floppy gets and whether it will affect him health wise. Normally he is a very sweet natured and happy rabbit.

If your vet has a saturday clinic I would try to get him seen sooner. It sounds like he is very uncomfortable with his mouth - excess salivation occcurs because there is a sore area that prevents the mouth being closed or normal swallowing, or the constant irritation can cause excess saliva production. Dental problems and pain are very good at triggering stasis and with the bank holiday weekend you may end up with a very large emergency vet bill if left!

Back