• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E.Cuniculi

Daisyd

Young Bun
Hi,

My bun contracted E.coniculi this time last year - he was very very poorly but pulled through with lots of tlc and handfeeding and keeping him from spinning over too much... although he lost all his toenails :(

I am wondering if Panacuur can be used as a preventative treatment, and also is it normal to worm bunnies anyway???

I don't know too much about rabbit care but I'll be taking him to the vets next week for his Myxi jab anyway, so wondered if I should pick anything else up whilst I'm there?

If your bunny had suspected EC he should have been given a 28 day course of panacur at the time. If not yes its a good idea to start a course.

Yes he did have it but it was a year ago. He isn't sick now but I was wondering if I should have it again as a matter of course as a prevention?

Yes, you should definately be giving your bun this again....a 9 day course at least twice a year.
My bun had EC last year, he needed feeding and was rolling all the time.
I have treated him with panacur twice since his first 6 week course.

1 graduation of a syringe per 1 kg of bodyweight and there are 9 graduations on each syringe. Don't make the mistake i did and get all confused and think it was 1 syringe per kg of bodyweight and spend a FORTUNE on the stuff to have waaaay too much left over :lol:

Yes, you should definately be giving your bun this again....a 9 day course at least twice a year.
My bun had EC last year, he needed feeding and was rolling all the time.
I have treated him with panacur twice since his first 6 week course.

The latest research has shown that 9 day courses are inefective.

a 28 day course if in contact with EC
6 weeks if clinical signs and symptoms
no routine panacuring-risks of Fenbendazole resistance.

I think the above is the latest thinking however it may have changed.The 9 day is only for worming your rabbit.
Someone let me know if this is right please

This is interesting.

I have just been speaking to the pharmacy at our vets to query the dose of Panacur as ours weigh less than the 2.5kg which requires 1 graduation of paste. She called the manufacturers to check, actually not Panacur manufacturer but another make same active ingredient, she said she asked about routine worming as she has 2 buns and they said only do it if coming in to contact with new bunnies (bonding/boarding or wild rabbits).

Back