• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hello Im new to the forum and need a little advice

ellief

New Kit
Hello I wonder if anyone could help me.I have a four year old lop eared dwarf giant rabbit, Bonnie ( not sure whether german or french cross). I'm really worried about Bonnie as she has had what appears to be a fit. I went into her cage this morning to find her rolling around on the floor of her cage, make involuntary body/limb movements and short of breath, almost spasm like. It appeared to me like a seizure lasting a few minutes, afterwards she was fine and is eating, drinking and playing. I've obviously booked her into to the vets as I'm worried sick about this but has anyone else had any experience of this and what could it be?

Thanks in advance

Ellie

There are a number of possibilities.
Top of the list would be e. cuniculi or an ear infection, but other infections or neurological causes are possible.
The vet will probably check her ears and then treat to cover all the likely causes, with panacur/lapizole, an antibiotic, some sort of anti-inflammatory and possibly some ear drops. He may want to admit her for fluids and feeding too.
Sometimes the problem goes away quickly, other times the symptoms may gradually improve or stay the same. Some rabbits may be left with a wonky head but otherwise cope well.
I hope she starts to improve soon.

Sorry I can't help with any advice, but just sending you some get well vibes, and hope all goes well.
Welcome to the forum... :wave:
Keep us informed to how you get on.

Thank you both. Bonnie seems settled at the moment , but I won't be happy until shes seen the vet x

:wave: Welcome to RU :D Sorry to hear about your rabbit. One of mine has been having fits/seizures for a few weeks. If she has a hay rack in her cage it might be better to remove it incase she falls against it. Try putting vet-bed or towels in the bottom of her cage to soften her fall. I know this sounds daft, but if she has another seizure try not to panick as this will stress her out. When she comes out of the fit make sure she's comfortable and warm but don't fuss over her too much. My Sooty usually has a little drink and a wee then sleeps for about an hour after she fits.

:wave: Welcome to RU :D Sorry to hear about your rabbit. One of mine has been having fits/seizures for a few weeks. If she has a hay rack in her cage it might be better to remove it incase she falls against it. Try putting vet-bed or towels in the bottom of her cage to soften her fall. I know this sounds daft, but if she has another seizure try not to panick as this will stress her out. When she comes out of the fit make sure she's comfortable and warm but don't fuss over her too much. My Sooty usually has a little drink and a wee then sleeps for about an hour after she fits.

Thanks, I've been keeping a close eye on her and she seems more settled. Just want to get Wednesday out of the way.

No shes not poorly at all, in fact looking at her you wouldn't think anything was wrong. She had what looked like a fit which was all over and within a few minutes she was her usual self. But it scared me, so I've got an appointment with a bunny vet on wednesday afternoon.

Back from the vets. Bonnie has mites which in turn caused the fits. Shes had an injection and shes got some treatment for the next couple of weeks. Shes just in a mood now lol

Back