• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

First time vaccinations

clarebear

Mama Doe
Bramble has recieved a reminder from the vets, that it is time for his vaccinations. This will be the first time he will have had them. What should I expect? They have also said about Zylkene, which is a stress buster you can give your pet a couple of days beforehand in their food. Not sure if this is available for rabbits though.

I had real problems holding Bramble still when he just went for a health check. Any tips? He jumped off the table and the vet had to chase him around the floor! I've been trying to pick him up more, but he really doesn't like it.

Is he having Myxi or VHD? He shouldn't have both together - always leave at least a two week gap between the two. If he's having Myxi, make sure part of the vaccine is injected into the skin rather than all of the vaccine going under the skin. If he's having VHD, try to have the Lapinject vaccine rather than Cylap (which has nasty side-effects).

And as for keeping him still when being examined, if it's only whilst he's having his injections, I'd advise wrapping him in snuggly a towel so that he can't jump off the table. He could seriously hurt himself if he does that. However, you really need to spend time getting him used to being handled. The vet can't examine him properly if he's jumping about all over the place.

Hope this helps.

He is having both the injections, but I the vet said he couldn't have them together.

I was worried when he jumped off the table last time, incase he had hurt himself, but he was okay, but shaking when we got him home. He soon calmed down though. He's never been to the vets before, so it must have been very scary for him. He is much more used to myself and my boyfriend now, so hopefully this will help too. Thanks for the advice about the towel. I will have a go with him at home this week!

I also thought about taking a dish of his favourite food with me too, as this usually keeps him pretty still for a few minutes at least!

Back