• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just had VHD jabs

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
This was the first time ever I've been asked if my buns have had any vaccine-related reaction to VHD. Fortunately, my vet has now swapped to Lapinject so I'm not expecting a bad reaction but at least they seem to be well aware of the Cylap problems now.

This was the first time ever I've been asked if my buns have had any vaccine-related reaction to VHD. Fortunately, my vet has now swapped to Lapinject so I'm not expecting a bad reaction but at least they seem to be well aware of the Cylap problems now.
This is very ineresting, what is this?

Sophie had a terrible reaction to the cylap one just over a month ago, she developed huge open sores near the injection site, 7 of them in total. Took 3 weeks to clear up :?

Marley's fur is just beginning to regrow on his Cylap related scar tissue but he still has a scab on the worst affected area.

My buns reacted badly to Cylap, I mentioned it to the vet and shes agreed that they can have Lapinject next time :D

This is very ineresting, what is this?

People are reporting nasty wounds at the injection site when Cylap is used, plus some people report their bunnies limp afterwards. Lapinject has no known side-effects so far.

Following my rabbits being vaccinated with Cylap on 7th September last year, seven had a very nasty reaction, one doe still has a large bare patch (larger than a 50p piece) eight MONTHS later and following another being spayed last week the bare areas have flared up again although she was completely recovered!

My vet has been speaking to Mike Davies at Fort Dodge (the manufacturer) and they want as much info as possible about these bad reactions, as apparently they have had very little reports of such problems. I am putting together a diary with photos to send to them next week, my vet is asking whether they are happy to receive info/case studies from other people who have had similar experiences, if so I will post details on here about how to send in the info. et's hope that they will update their information sheet to warn of this possibly happening.

Fort Dodge paid for all of the treatment for mine without asking to see photos (over £200 worth of antibiotics, cream and examinations) so I am very interested to see where they will go with this.

I will never be using Cylap again and will insist on Lapinject in September.

After willow had the lapinject last year he went into statis. i dont know if it was caused by the injection or not but it has made me really nervous about getting it done this year.

he never had any bad reactions with cylap

Fort Dodge paid for all of the treatment for mine without asking to see photos (over £200 worth of antibiotics, cream and examinations) so I am very interested to see where they will go with this.

I will never be using Cylap again and will insist on Lapinject in September.

Forte Dodge also paid for Marley's treatment when my vets called to report the reaction and a report was filed to the VMD. They too have now ordered Lapinject in for me (though I had requested it anyway as one of my rabbits only has one working foreleg and I couldn't risk her getting Cylap limp from the vaccine).

Oh my god - I never knew there were all these side effects to Cylap!
When Angel had hers the other week the surrounding area was bright red for a few days and her fur seemed the have thinned. The day after she had a really bad limp on her good leg! :(
Probably too late to say anything to the vets now but will ask for the alternative next year!!!

Reaction

Hi one of my rabbits got vaccinated against VHD on the 21st of april. However on the following friday she was spayed and required several days of gut stimulant and painkiller injections. I hadnt noticed anything until today when she flinched when i was petting her she has an area around the size of 50p piece on her back which has a big scab on it and no fur. I may try get a photo of it to see what you guys think. Will she need some treatment for this? it doesnt look to be oozing anything but i will have to check it again. I would appreciate any help as driving her to the vet completely stresses her, i dont want to do it unless it is necessary:?.
Thanks

Hi one of my rabbits got vaccinated against VHD on the 21st of april. However on the following friday she was spayed and required several days of gut stimulant and painkiller injections. I hadnt noticed anything until today when she flinched when i was petting her she has an area around the size of 50p piece on her back which has a big scab on it and no fur. I may try get a photo of it to see what you guys think. Will she need some treatment for this? it doesnt look to be oozing anything but i will have to check it again. I would appreciate any help as driving her to the vet completely stresses her, i dont want to do it unless it is necessary:?.
Thanks

My bun had a larger burn area from the vaccine which I noticed two days after his vaccine and he had Flamaine cream applied 3 times a day for 10 days to help soothe the area and take the inflammation down. However, as your bun has now had her vaccine sometime ago the inflammatory reaction should have finished and applying topical treatment may cause her to reaggravate the wound by drawing her attention to it, so personally I would just keep an eye on it as it heals to make sure no infection sets in.

Marleys scab is now gone and his fur has started to grow back again. :)

yeah so she isnt letting me get a photo right now... but when i saw it it looked as though the edge of the scab was lifting naturally, like its ready to come off, Is that a good thing?

Hey guys I took Widget to get his VHD jab today and the vet used Cylap. She said that very few buns had bad reactions to it. That was about 5 hours ago, as he doesnt seem to be having any real side effects, I mean he isnt being as sociable as normal, but he is still laying near me in his usual spot, hasnt gone and hidden away in his hutch or anything and has flopped a few times (which I still find hilarious) and isnt off his food or water.
Do most buns have side effects from this? When do they normally kick in? I'm quite worried already.

Thankyou.xx

Hey guys I took Widget to get his VHD jab today and the vet used Cylap. She said that very few buns had bad reactions to it. That was about 5 hours ago, as he doesnt seem to be having any real side effects, I mean he isnt being as sociable as normal, but he is still laying near me in his usual spot, hasnt gone and hidden away in his hutch or anything and has flopped a few times (which I still find hilarious) and isnt off his food or water.
Do most buns have side effects from this? When do they normally kick in? I'm quite worried already.

Thankyou.xx

I think people start to notice the 'cylap limp' within a 24 hour period. Inflamation and scabs at the injection site seems to occur within a few days. Mine have never had a limp with cylap but they have had a nasty reaction at the vaccine site ie. redness, swelling, scabbing etc.

Hiya, thankyou for that. He he has no limp as such although he did kindof stumble out of his litter tray earlier. I can already feel the swelling starting. He is still very subdued and sorry for himself and I feel awful for him, but he is still eating a little bit and drinking and going toilet which is reassuring.

Back