• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

angry & upset...eric in hospital

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
:cry:

taken eric to a vet recommended to me this morning as the 3 times i've seen a vet at the current practise has not improved his sneezing probs etc with a variety of jabs.

this vet was totally different. gave him a thorough check over and is keeping him in til sunday:shock: she'll syringe feed him today (says his tum not as full as she'd like - he has struggled to eat cos of the sensitivity of his nose and the sneezing but has actually been doing better this week), rehydrate him (told her i was concerned he was struggling to drink from either bowl or bottle), give him tetracycline shot then tomorrow she'll flush his tear ducts, try clean up his nose and file town an overgrown tooth.

i feel like such a failure putting my trust in the previous people and allowing this to happen.

both previous vets said his teeth were fine, his nose scab was syphillis then it was pasteurella then it was syphillis again:evil:

now my poor boy has got to be knocked out to try be sorted. i'm gutted. really hope he pulls through ok.

x

Dont blame yourself, blame the vets. They shouldnt try to treat an animal that they dont have full knowledge of. We put our trust in them because we believe what they tell us, same way we would believe our doctor if we were ill. Just spose theres good and bad vets, same as theres good and bad doctors.

At least Eric is with a good vet now and his problems can be sorted out. Sending loads of vibes for a full recovery

Don't balme yourself hun, at least you found another vet and they sound really good, sending loads of vibes for him xx

thank you for your well wishes. its gonna be a very long time til sunday. house is sooooo quiet without him (even tho he sleeps all day!). i've just taken his own pellets and his fave hay to the vets as she recommended and she said he's settled down fine. dreading waiting for that phone call tomorrow to see how the surgery has gone:cry:

x

As everyone else has said, it's not your fault at all. My Daisy developed a big lump, which RUers thought must be an abscess - my first vet assured me it wasn't an abscess at all, suggesting we wait for several weeks to see if antibiotics helped. Luckily I took her to a different surgery for a second opinion, saw a vet who correctly diagnosed an abscess and she was operated on straight away and is fine now. It does sound like you've got a good vet this time, and that's definitely the best thing for Eric.

Loads of vibes for him - hope his operation goes well and he's back home with you asap.

u/d... surgery day for eric

thanks for the vibes. i'm not frantic (much) today..... i don't even know what time they're knocking eric out for his duct flush, nose clean and tooth file. today is going to be one long day..........:cry: really hope the vet managed to build him up a bit more yesterday before she starts today. is it normal he'll be kept in tonight too so she can make sure he's ok?

x

Oh yes its going to be a long day for you waiting for the phone to ring.

I'm sure its for the best that he's kept in tonight so they can keep a close eye on his recovery. Also a night in the ward is usually a great deal cheaper than an emergency call out.

You shouldn't feel bad about the other vets, you did your best and when it wasn't working out you did the right thing and looked elsewhere. Maybe this vet would have tried something else first too. When its all over if you feel they really were bad in their diagnosis and care then I would make a complaint as I am sure you have paid a fair amount for his consultations and treatment.

I hope it all goes well today - keep us posted.

Sending Eric lots of vibes for his op. Poor little man. Keep us updated, you may want to ask them to take Xray of teeth while he is knocked out so you can check they are OK.

u/d on eric - recovering....

lovely vet rang me this afternoon to say that eric was coming round well from the anaesthetic. still a bit wobbly on his back legs but she seemed pretty positive:D

she flushed his tear ducts, cleaned up his nose and sorted his lower right tooth (she did say that the tooth wasn't that bad so was maybe a secondary complication of him not eating so much since he'd been feeling poorly - i won't build my hopes up on there being no future dental issues tho as he's a netherland dwarf).

i have to ring at 10.45 in the morning to see how he's doing as hopefully i will be able to pick him up before 12 (she asked if that would be a problem as they only open for an hour on a sunday.....a problem???? its only half hour away but i'm tempted to go over and ring from the car park in the morning so i can run straight in to get him!!!).

deep breath, shouldn't get too carried away as he has to recover properly yet.

she did say tho that when she sees me we can discuss what to do about his nose in the future - any ideas what the options could be?

again, thanks for the vibes for my little eric:D

x

Glad it all went OK. Not sure about what she may want to discuss about the nose. Sending some recovery vibes.

Glad it all went OK. Not sure about what she may want to discuss about the nose. Sending some recovery vibes.

thanks bunny babe. i think it could be that little eric may have a bacteria thats rather deep rooted and will need to be treated as and when it flares up. i have read other threads saying some ru'ers have chronic snuffles buns......shame really as if thats the case with eric it doesn't look like i'll be able to rehome a lady bun for him as i was hoping :( he'll just have to put up with lots of fuss and attention from me:lol:

x

glad it went ok.......just sorry the vets let you down:(

we have casper whos infection is pasturella based but theevt never cultured the abscess capsule as his heart stopped on the op table whilst she was remving his teeth!!

so he lives upstairs and our other buns live downstairs. we musnt use stuff even when washed up etc to give to each other in case of spreading it.

hell love being spoilt and fussed over im sure:lol:

good luck xx

eric in hospital u/d 3.5.09 eric's home

i have found a great rabbit vet. she's done her utmost with eric and he's now at home, full of beans and eating like a horse:D he looks like he's been in the wars tho as whilst he was under ga for the dental and tear duct flush, she managed to clean his nose up quite well - eric now looks like a rabbit version of michael jackson:evil: pasteurella eh:roll: like i suspected in the first place but paid lots of money to the wrong vet:( still, at least he's ok for now. needs to have a tetracyline jab every 2 days and eye drops 4 times a day but i'm lucky he's still with me. i need to be on the lookout now for abscess symptoms i suppose - any ideas what the early signs would be?

x

Back