• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Petshop - help please?

Phoebesmummy9

Warren Veteran
I was a petshop the other day. Granted not the one I usally use, but I do use it occasionaly due to the fact they had a no animals policy
As I arrived in the petshop there was a big sign saying "No livestock will be sold after 4PM"
When I got in, there was a small indoor cage on the shelves, with 4 dutch rabbits in.
They all seemed friendly enough and were tootling about the cage.
There was a young couple in looking to buy a rabbit. The young couple went to choose the smallest rabbit "because itll stay small" the woman in the petshop didnt even bother to correct her. I then chimed in and told her, they dont always stay small,and little dutchie could grow up to be quite a size.
The petshop woman then went on to warn the woman they go through a "difficult period", I then realized as she went on, she meant the rabbits hitting puberty. I mentioned the rabbit being neutered would help this, and recommended a good vet.
The young couple wanted a boy rabbit, and the petshop woman piped up "Oh.. i dont know how to sex a rabbit, but even vets get it wrong so it dont matter!"
I then had to step in again, offer to do a rough sex check then said not all vets get it wrong, and that saying such thing could potenially put owners off using the vets for there animal.
Before the petshop woman could, I recommended some food etc to the young couple, who seemed very grateful for my help, went and picked up all the stuff i recommended bless them.
I sadly, still had to spend £50 of my own money in there as it was the only petshop near by and I was due in to work
How do i go about making a complaint to the petshop?
Im very dissapointed they dont give out any care sheets, any correct information and show incompitence infront of coustomers. Im thinking about writing a letter and a copy of a care sheet they can use?

Last edited:
If you pm me the address (or name a vague location) i would be more than happy to send off a letter from the rescue to the shop offering advice and help as well as sources for free leaflets to hand out to new bunny owners.

If she can't say whether a bunny is male or female, then the breeder should do it for her. I would definitely write a letter. :(

I would enquire at the council offices to see if they have a licence to sell pets. If this is something new that they are doing it would be doubtfull that they have applied and received a licence.

If they do have a licence then they are in breach of that licence by not supplying written care instructions with pets that they sell.

Back