• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elated and worn out!

duracell

Alpha Buck
I just wanted to post about the really successful Easter we have had at the rescue. I put up loads of extra adverts before Easter and put adverts in the local free ads papers and online and did a couple of live events. The phone went mad and the emails were pouring in.

Admittedly many of these were unsuitable homes who wanted a baby rabbit for their kid but even with these I gave out hours of advice to people and I have to hope that some of it did not fall on deaf ears, many people who we met at live events had purchased an easter rabbit but we were able to give them some good advice and send them off with good leaflets, some even said that they would come to us when their new bun was ready for a partner.

As a result of all this we have rehomed all but 5 of our rabbits .:shock: :shock: I know we are still only a small rescue but.......

I have never done so many home checks in my life!!!! The miles clocked up on mine, Diannes and Joannes cars is ridiculous. We managed to screen out most of the unsuitable homes before we did the homechecks and two of the places that we did not pass made the effort to improve the accommodation to the extent that we re home checked and approved them.

I have had 3 emails this morning with photos of our old rescues in their new homes and status reports on how well they are doing. I could literally burst with Joy:love:

I just wanted to share the good news before all the easter buns bought from BYB and p@h ect start to fill us up again.

aw thats great news. at least their all in happy homes and you can take more unwanted ones and help them. :wave:

Ah that's great, especially the people that initially failed home checks but upgraded their accommodation - shows they really wanted to get it right for the rabbits :) What accommodation do you require out of interest?

It depends we go on a case by case basis. We require a good quality hutch of sufficient size for the rabbit to make 3 good hops (more for a pair which is how we usually rehome them) and be able to lie out in any direction and be able to stretch up in either all or at the minimum some of their permanent accommodation. We recommend that a run is permanently attached and is at least 6 by 4 foot.

If people call us to ask advice before they get the rabbits we usually recommend a shed and once people look at the cost of hutches they often agree.

We usually only rehome in pairs, if they have their own bun all ready we offer to do the bonding or help them to bond. The exception is house rabbits (although we have a bun at the moment who has attacked every rabbit we have tried to put with her!!)

If a bun is a house bun then there is more flexibility and if children are involved we are usually more strict about the accommodation because our research leads us to believe that these households can be much more chaotic with more chance of the bun not coming out each and every day.

Above all tho we look for new owners who will all ways look after the rabbits needs and well being and who is willing to learn and adapt for their rabbit buddys.

How are Pepsi and Sprite doing in there new home Liza? :D

I called yesterday and they are doing really well! apparently gaining confidence every day. She was one of the homes that needed some adaptation but is seems wonderful. :D It is wierd having so many empty hutches at the moment:? but we still have loads of hamsters for some reason:(

Blimey, you work hard at what you do.
Congratulations on a job well done... and keep up the good work.
All the rescues on ru need a pat on the back now and again.

welldonegreybeark.jpg

Back