• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need advice sick wild bun

lauraocal

Warren Scout
A friend of mine in the US has come across a young bunny on her garden and has caught it as it never ran away from her.
She has told me it is very young and has had it now for a few hours.
She thinks it may have eaten a few pellets but isnt sure.
I advised her to get some of the greens off her garden a group of wild rabbits eat regular for it too.
She says it seems to be moving ok.. but it has a sticky eye.. also its a little snuffly.. I'm very concerned for her as she has a pet bunny also and I'm scared it may be myxi..
She cant get to a vet any time soon and i was hoping i could get some advice for her from you guys.. I told her to put it back where she found it but she is reluctant.
She mentioned that when she caught it .. it let out a scream too?

Bunnies tend to scream when they are terrified, and baby bunnies will scream to call their mother over to them. I agree with putting the rabbit back where she found it, as most wild rabbits really don't need rescuing.

Myxi does not exist in the US. There have only been a few spotty cases on the coast of California and Oregon, so unless your friend lives in either one of those areas, I would say the chances of the bun having Myxi are rare.

Also, I wouldn't expect a wild rabbit to eat pellets. They have a diet all their own, and upsetting that with pellets is probably a bad idea. They're used to veggies, not pelleted commercial mixes.

Maybe your friend could take a photo and you could post it on the site?

make sure she separated her pet rabbit w/ the wild rabbit completely.

I believe in the US, as we have the same rule in Canada, that it's free for a vet to examine a wild animal, and medicine is free too. So if she think the bun is really sick, just drop it off to a vet hospital will do

Back