PDA

View Full Version : Need advice sick wild bun

lauraocal
01-05-2009, 02:18 AM
A friend of mine in the US has come across a young bunny on her garden and has caught it as it never ran away from her.
She has told me it is very young and has had it now for a few hours.
She thinks it may have eaten a few pellets but isnt sure.
I advised her to get some of the greens off her garden a group of wild rabbits eat regular for it too.
She says it seems to be moving ok.. but it has a sticky eye.. also its a little snuffly.. I'm very concerned for her as she has a pet bunny also and I'm scared it may be myxi..
She cant get to a vet any time soon and i was hoping i could get some advice for her from you guys.. I told her to put it back where she found it but she is reluctant.
She mentioned that when she caught it .. it let out a scream too?

sidereus7
01-05-2009, 04:59 AM
Bunnies tend to scream when they are terrified, and baby bunnies will scream to call their mother over to them. I agree with putting the rabbit back where she found it, as most wild rabbits really don't need rescuing.

Myxi does not exist in the US. There have only been a few spotty cases on the coast of California and Oregon, so unless your friend lives in either one of those areas, I would say the chances of the bun having Myxi are rare.

Also, I wouldn't expect a wild rabbit to eat pellets. They have a diet all their own, and upsetting that with pellets is probably a bad idea. They're used to veggies, not pelleted commercial mixes.

Maybe your friend could take a photo and you could post it on the site?

Happy Hopping
01-05-2009, 09:01 AM
make sure she separated her pet rabbit w/ the wild rabbit completely.

I believe in the US, as we have the same rule in Canada, that it's free for a vet to examine a wild animal, and medicine is free too. So if she think the bun is really sick, just drop it off to a vet hospital will do

lauraocal
01-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Brilliant .. I didnt know that.. I will pass the info on to her.