• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Renovation update pics P3

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
A friend of a friend said they had a large rabbit hutch they no longer needed and did I want it? It was free I just had to pay for delivery. As the nights were still dark when I went to see it I really just saw the size and not the condition so thanked her very much and said I would take it, she said I could also have a smaller one which was also in the garden and I though that one might be OK for the gp’s so agreed to take both.
Anyway at the weekend when the hutches arrived I was disappointed with the condition of both, the smaller was so badly rotted 3 of the legs fell off, one as the delivery men were actually carrying it in to the garden! I decided to wait until the weather got better and give the big one a serious scrubbing and a make over. My dad came and chopped
up the smaller one and took it to the skip as it was beyond help.

Here are some pictures of the transformation

Treacle says ...''there's no way I'm living in there!'

Hutch1.jpg

Hutch2.jpg

Hutch3.jpg

My mom is helping me work on it. Starting off with a good scrub out with bleach.

Hutch4.jpg

More to follow watch this space.

Rabswood

Last edited:
Awwww, Treacle it will look fab once Mummy's finished! ;) It look a brilliant size, lots of room to periscope. :):)

Once it's done I want to have a run made to fit on it so that during the day one of the doors can be kept open. I will be putting Big and Beige in there. They don't know yet, Beige would have a heart attack if he thought he had to live in it in that state. I would never let any of my buns live in it as it was.

Rabs

They don't know yet, Beige would have a heart attack if he thought he had to live in it in that state.

:lol::lol::lol: But it has potential and as long as Beige doesn't see the before pics he'll be very pleased with his stately home. :D:D

How high is the hutch? I'm guessing Treacle is a mini lop and he/she looks absolutely diddy in front of the hutch.

Your poor Mum! Its a dirty job but someones got to do it and we young ':lol:uns just don't have the elbow grease do we?

Looks great size wise and looking forward to update pics when you get it sorted:)

Hope you treated your Mum to a lovely bunch of flowers or something for helping out!!:lol:

Looks great size wise and looking forward to update pics when you get it sorted:)

Hope you treated your Mum to a lovely bunch of flowers or something for helping out!!:lol:

My mom does it for love :lol: Bless her I always rope her in to help me with the horrible jobs :lol: She's 65 it's my duty to keep her active :lol: I did how ever buy her some fancy liquid soap for her bathroom as a little thank you.

Just have to presuade my dad to lay some paving stones now and relay the ones under Treacle and Snow's shed run which the new hutch will be close to. I put their paving down myself, not a bad job but my dad would be able to do it much better.

Are schools on holiday next week, I know it's May day? If not I will try and get him next week, I also need him to help move the hutch it's really, really heavy.

Rabs

I think rabswood asked if the kids were off next week.

Yes I did :lol: the reason being I want my dad to help me and if the kids are off school he will prob be baby sitting. So if weather is going to be OK will try and get him to come up now I know he will be child free, can't do stuff with kids under your feet :roll:

Rabs

Work done so far

Hutchprogress2.jpg

Hutchprogress3.jpg

Hutchprogress1.jpg

The outside has been a real pain, it's had about 10 coats, looks like it was previously painted with some oil based stuff so even though I rubbed it over with sand paper I couldn't get the paint to soak in :? Have painted it blue to match my garden furniture.

I need suggestions re how to design the run. It needs a top opening so I can get in to clean the hutch but I would also like a side or front panel opening too as I would like to open it straight up onto the garden so thry can run in and out when it's their turn to free range.

Rabs

Cor! its like changing rooms! Looking good.

On another random note - glad I wasn't going mad about the kids thing, I'm just usually one (or sometimes 2) steps behind!!

Back