• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilemma re Melanie?

toffee

Mama Doe
I have 8 house rabbits. They all live in mixed sex pairs. 6 of them live in 3 dog crates at the moment. The other 2 are Melanie, a British giant cross weighing approx 5 kilos and Prince a lionhead weighing approx 1.5 kilos.

The problem I have is that Melanie and Prince live free range in the kitchen and when I'm not there they destroy the room, particularly the carpet. Melanie is very bright and I'm sure she does this for attention. Melanie is in charge of the house, I'm not the boss - she is!

I can't let her carry on being this destructive. I want my house to be nice. I'm considering putting Mel and Prince in a dog crate like the rest and just making sure she has more play out time to account for the needs she has with being bigger.

I really don't want to confine her but she's driving me nuts. Is it mean of me if I get an extra dog crate for them?

Honest answers on a postcard please...

I would tbh, as not only ruining your kitchen they could eat something that wouldnt be good for them etc.

I sympthasise with you about the destructive bunny though, My oggiebum has grown an obsession with the carpet and walls :lol:

I read they were supposed to calm down after they're 2 years old. She's 2 now and worse than ever!!

Going to buy a dog crate tomorrow. She can sit in it and think about what she's done!!

Back