• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If You Don't Use Shavings What Do You Use?

sonnet

Alpha Buck
I wondered what people generally use for bedding within their buns hutches & litter trays?

I'm still using shavings at the moment in Dylan's daytime part of the hutch & his litter tray (the tray also has carefresh in it) but am concerned about the suggested health problems that shavings can affect/cause.
If I stop using them, what can I use instead for his hutch & litter tray that won't break the bank (as carefesh all over his daytime part of the hutch & in his tray would end up getting costly as the bags are so small!).

People's product use appreciated!!

I use newspaper in the bottom of the crate. The buns have a hay tray and a donut to sleep in.

I never used shavings as they were so messy, and got stuck in Lolas fur.

I have lino on the bottom of my hutches and then a litter tray filled with some shredded paper or megasorb topped with the hay I buy in a bale.

My hutch floor is covered with lino and the sleeping part has towels with a little bit of hay to snuggle into and then the litter tray has wood shavings with loads of hay on top so the bits dont really get stuck to her.

In my only hutch I just put down a layer of newspaper, then straw and top it off with a layer of hay. Jack & Emily are very good and never go to the loo in there... they always go down to the litter tray in the run.

I tried many things in the past, from wood shaving (the worst) to newspaper on a tray, etc. I am most satisfy w/ simple towel packed thickly and let them do their business.

I don't put anything on the hutch floor. The litter trays have a thick layer of newspaper at the bottom, covered with straw, and then hay in one corner. I also put hay in other corners of the hutch, which are not used as toilets. Luckily all my bunnies are very clean.
If I have messy foster bunnies, I cover the hutch floor with newspaper.
I never use wood shavings as they irritate my eyes, and my bunnies had problems with them, too.

I just use towels on kermits cage floor, and wood pellet litter in his litter tray.
I started with the towels when he was ill, and now he is just used to them.
Means no mess for me, well apart from when he goes to eat a bit of hay and runs round the living room trailing the rest of the pile with him. :roll:

If you have any farm shops nearby, you can often pick up alternative horse beddings which are safer - shredded cardboard like Ecopetbed/SafeTBed/Andy B Bedding etc (loads of brands!), hemp bedding like Aubiose or Hemcore (Aubiose is apparently softer so small animal owners tend to favour it), aspen bedding (less dusty and no phenols as it's hardwood), shredded paper, etc. all in bales which work out pretty cheap

i just use a towel - easy to wash and change plus nice and comfy for them!Used newspaper until Lola started getting newpaper marks on her fur!!!

I found hay too costly for them to sleep on as they tend to wee whereever it is!!

Back