• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi Vaccination

JellyBelly

Mama Doe
Erm i have just taken Bert for his booster and the injected him in the side...

Isnt it supposed to go in his ear or is that VHD?

Will he still be protected if its put in the wrong place? :(

The myxi is given part intradermally, which is why some vets use the base of the ear as they find it easier. So long as your vet gave part intradermally into the skin it will be fine :)

Dont worry- im sure it will be fine. Most vets are capable of doing a vaccine properly and although its hard you have to trust that they know what they are doing.

Yea i'm sure its fine, wasnt my usual vet though. I suppose a vacc given slightly wrong is better than no vacc at all.

Actually, some vets don't know how to give the injection properly!!! or at least they can't be bothered.

I took all six of mine to a vets closer to home for their myxi last year, and it was given all under the skin. When I questioned the nurse who had been present she tried to make an excuse and said it was a new brand of vaccine and that's how it was given now. Obviously when I came home I did some research and I was lied to. I complained and sent them a copy of the data sheet for the vaccine. I got a letter from the vet stating that she did give part intradermally and trying to suck up to me, but I know for a fact that she didn't, I was holding my bunnies at the time and none was given intradermally, it was straight in and out!

It does still offer immunity, just not as much as it would had it been given properly.

Back