• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

vet bills vs luxuries

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
Hi, i read an interesting article in the Vet Times today, stating that in a survey, 80% of pet owners said they were not prepared to give up buying new clothes, nights out or going on holiday in order to pay for vet bills. It also said that there is a rise in new clients at free treatment clinics, such as RSPCA, Blue Cross, PDSA.

I know many people, including some RUers, have had to give up their pets for their own sake, as they cannot afford to keep them adequately, but i find it truly shocking that people would rather have a night out than look after their pets? its not like anyone is expecting them to give up food or their car etc. I hope there isnt a subsequent rise in a few months of animals being confiscated by the RSPCA for neglect or untreated conditions.

I'm afraid it's the culture the governments have created. If people can get it for free, why should they pay even if they can afford to? You are dealing with this mentallity, or the one that it simply, I don't care. I despair sometimes.

I think it's shocking. I couldn't tell you the last time we bought ourselves new clothes or shoes (or had a night out) I'd have a really **** time if I went out and knew that because I went out my babies would go hungry or without vet treatment. I think it shows that these people aren't commited pet owners in the first place.

That's unfortunately the society we live in. People say "oh, I can't afford to buy organic meat or vegetables", and then go and buy some hideous and expensive handbag or smoke 20 cigarettes a day.

I never go out or hardly ever buy new clothes anymore :oops: im going out next friday for my birthday, but that will be the first time since september!

i never go out, buy budget everything, wear clothes till they have holes, try to pay my bills work, study and would everytime put my animals first. Id not it if it meant I could make them happier

My bunnies ARE my luxuries!

I think that is the perfect way to sum it up. I would quite happily go without all the non-essential things for me if it meant my animals were happy and well and I got the privilege of their company.

Oh and Vikki, there is also a very informative article at the end of Vet Times that is well worth reading ;)

I'm afraid it's the culture the governments have created. If people can get it for free, why should they pay even if they can afford to? You are dealing with this mentallity, or the one that it simply, I don't care. I despair sometimes.

But these are people who can't get treatment for free, so are we assuming they just let their animals suffer? My rabbits are the last thing to suffer - i am a genuinely impoverished student and would be financially better off without them, but they are my luxury too and would rather have them than nights out. I can't imagine giving them up for financial reasons, but i admire people who do compared to those that just dont bother to worm or vaccinate them, or dont seek treatment when they are ill.

My animals are my world.I think my vets must live in the lap of luxury by the amount of money they have off me every month:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:.Stinky had two Xrays yesterday,some steroid tablets and a catrophen injection and they charged me £400:shock::shock::shock::shock:
It is my duty to do my utmost to keep my animals happy and healthy and I would rather live in rags than see them go with out

Last edited:
I think that is the perfect way to sum it up. I would quite happily go without all the non-essential things for me if it meant my animals were happy and well and I got the privilege of their company.

Oh and Vikki, there is also a very informative article at the end of Vet Times that is well worth reading ;)

LOL i knew i'd seen that name somewhere before! :lol: i do love the vetpedia and LOLcat articles too

My Bun comes first. If she needs anything she'll get it, and i'm saying this after a rather large vets bill:shock::)

My bunnies ARE my luxuries!

I agree with you entirely.

My H2B never moans about me spending money on the buns, though he has occassionaly commented as to why I don't ever buy myself anything. The fact is I enjoying spending money on them more than myself.

I agree with you entirely.

My H2B never moans about me spending money on the buns, though he has occassionaly commented as to why I don't ever buy myself anything. The fact is I enjoying spending money on them more than myself.

H2B? Are you dating a pencil??
Sorry :lol:
Agree entirely! I would go without food before letting my buns do the same.

we cannot afford our buns lately...but theyre our responsibility and our luxuries as our two cats are also.

we dont go out/drink/smoke/party/ and as for nice new clothes etc..seriously those of you that have me from here can vouch thats not a priority!!

id give up the broadband even tho its m n nikkis contact with the outside world..id sell everything i have papart from the fridge freezer!! and i dont have much but if itd raise a bit more.....

im one of those expect it for free people.....yes i dont work am entitled to the pdsa etc..kick me to the curb again.....espceially as i go to a private vets!! for the sake of my buns not my purse..oh sorry your purse.

apologies..didnt mean to kill thread just really fed up right now and majorly stressed over tomorow and have awful ibs cos of it and to top it all..pmt!!

ill take a bow and leave..carry on.

we cannot afford our buns lately...but theyre our responsibility and our luxuries as our two cats are also.

we dont go out/drink/smoke/party/ and as for nice new clothes etc..seriously those of you that have me from here can vouch thats not a priority!!

id give up the broadband even tho its m n nikkis contact with the outside world..id sell everything i have papart from the fridge freezer!! and i dont have much but if itd raise a bit more.....

im one of those expect it for free people.....yes i dont work am entitled to the pdsa etc..kick me to the curb again.....espceially as i go to a private vets!! for the sake of my buns not my purse..oh sorry your purse.

Hun, up until about ten months ago I was in a wellpaid job £20,000 a year. Sadly my bi polar and BPD became so bad I lost my job, I have worked for 24 years paying my taxes and NI. Dont you dare feel bad! If anyone judges you, they should hang their head in shame!

Big hugs hun, dont you dare feel bad or feel you have to apologise. x x x x

I was only speaking yesterday to a local reporter about this situation. There are so many occasions where we have to pick up buns because people can't 'afford' them yet there is the Chelsea tractor on the drive, the plasma screen tv, the nice house. Rabbits and pets are so 'disposable' and often the first to be flicked out of the house in order to 'save' money. It doesn't even cross peoples minds that we have to fund our rescue by BOTH going out to work to pay for the animals we rescue and very often have to go without ourselves. :censored::censored:

AND another thing - most people who give up their buns to rescue because they can't afford them actually haven't given them the basic care anyway - they are hardly ever neutered, vaccinated or living with a bunny friend so the so called 'cost' that the rabbit has incurred is way down on what it should be anyway.

Grrrrrrr, grrrrrrr, grrrrrrrr. :censored:

...................and there endeth my rant for today folks.

I was only speaking yesterday to a local reporter about this situation. There are so many occasions where we have to pick up buns because people can't 'afford' them yet there is the Chelsea tractor on the drive, the plasma screen tv, the nice house. Rabbits and pets are so 'disposable' and often the first to be flicked out of the house in order to 'save' money. It doesn't even cross peoples minds that we have to fund our rescue by BOTH going out to work to pay for the animals we rescue and very often have to go without ourselves. :censored::censored:

AND another thing - most people who give up their buns to rescue because they can't afford them actually haven't given them the basic care anyway - they are hardly ever neutered, vaccinated or living with a bunny friend so the so called 'cost' that the rabbit has incurred is way down on what it should be anyway.

Grrrrrrr, grrrrrrr, grrrrrrrr. :censored:

...................and there endeth my rant for today folks.

I have to agree, and quite often they dont even think to give a donation or even the hutch (no we are gonna sell it on ebay for the extra cash) I usually get the buns safely in the car and then give em a piece of my mind.

Back