• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits in stasis should they always be admitted?

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
I was just thinking about this, as I lost eclipse to stasis.. he was taken to the vets and given gut stimulant, pain relief and checked for blockages and sent home with some critical care etc I am now kicking myself as If he had been admitted he might of survived as I couldnt get enough fluids into him orally :cry: I feel like I killed him :cry: When Gizmo was in stasis a couple weeks ago.. he was admitted for the day to be put on a drip etc and he bounced back :D
I just feel incredibly bad about Eclipse I should of asked them to admit him :cry:

Hazel had all the same treatment as your Eclipse and survived stasis. I think some vets should take it more seriously. I know its different but i feel if the vets had admitted my chinchilla Louis for his respiratory infection he'd still be alive now :cry:

I have nursed one bunny through stasis & lost another (although she was admitted). My general inclination would be that if you still can't get them eating after 3/4 hours or there is a blockage then I would go for admission but I think it depends on both your knowledge and how bad the rabbit is. Having lost one I think I am much more inclined to push for admission now.

I got him to eat a little bit it was getting the fluids into him that was the problem. he went down hill very fast and I took him back to te vets at 7am where he died shortly after :( Im not taking anymore chances and will now ask for admission. :(

I think it depends what stage they are at. Dulcie went to the vets in the very early stages and she seems pretty rabbit savvy. Dulcie had two injections and was sent home with syringe food and rehydration sachets. I was also told to keep her in the house because of the weather, but she had no idea of the large and well insulated kennel the bunnies have. I risked putting her back with Frank immediately and the first things she did were run to Frank for reassurance, have a long drink and tuck into the hay. I could have never got the syringe food into her as she was totally back to normal.

There's no way she needed admitting, but had she deteriorated I would have took her straight back. Don't blame yourself over Eclipse. Gizmo might not have been so far into stasis than Eclipse and would have bounced back at home. Had Eclipse been admitted and died in the surgery alone, you would be having a conversation about how you wish you'd nursed him at home. Sadly if you have animals, things like this happen and it's always absolutely gutting and the what ifs fly thick and fast.

Fudge went into stasis a few weeks back i took her to the vet straight away and she was admitted that day, she was finethe next day and i got her home :D

I think it depends, but i would like my buns to be admitted as if something were to go wrong theres someone experienced there to help and it takes some stress off of the owner.

If i was more confident to nurse them back to full health then i would want them home. Plus it all depends on how far into stasis they are!

Dont feel bad about Eclipseits not your fault, i feel like that about Blackie and i hate myself for not getting him to the rabbit savvy vet sooner but we all learn from our mistakes, big hugs xx

i think if after about 5 hours and the gut hasnt kick started with infacol, water and running about i would have my bunny admitted to the vets to be put on a drip.... i really really think the drip is what saved Alvin and £350 was a small price to pay for that amazing vet who looked after him :love:

i agree wholehearted with you and i actually feel responsible for Diegos death :cry:
i took him to the vets at 11.45pm and they gave him injections and told me to syringe feed him.. i tried but he didnt take much and then he just slipped away. i only wish i had known how to nurse him properly, i tried to do as i was told
i failed him by not insisting on them keeping him and looking after him better than i could :cry::cry: i failed at the first hurdle of being a pet owner :cry:

i miss him so much and im scared for Harry or Ellie getting stasis, i will push harder for the vets to help should it happen again as i just dont feel experienced in what to do

I know people say that it wasnt my fault, I did get him through stasis once before so I htought I could do it again but obviously not :cry: Im still totally gutted.

I know people say that it wasnt my fault, I did get him through stasis once before so I htought I could do it again but obviously not :cry: Im still totally gutted.

I know how you feel hun :( I have got Phoebe through stasis loads of times! I felt confident enough to help Piper. I feel like I should of pushed for admission or something, I feel like i contributed to her death in some way :( my vet reassured me that I done a really good job of nursing her and that I couldnt of done anymore for her, still dosent take the guilt away though, does it?

I think it depends on the how bad it is and what the rabbit is like. When Nunzeo was ill last week the vet asked if I wanted him admitted, and I said no. I'd have hated myself if he hadn't of pulled through, but I think (well I know) I made the right desision, the vet would have had to admit both my bunnies because they cannot be seperated, and Abbey would have been so stressed she'll have probably gotton ill too.

i dont think anyone should blame themselves for a bunny dying.... if they give up on life theres not one thing we can do to save them.. admitted or not if they dont have the fight in them they wont live :(

I would only have one of mine admitted (in a case of stasis) if they needed to go on a drip or have IV drugs I think. I am very fortunate that my buns seem to have strong stomachs but with the rescues I have had they have all been home nursed and been fine, some responding in just a few hours and a couple after a few days.

I think it's a case of looking at the competence of the owner, the vet, the bunnies general characteristics with regards to stress & handling and also the vets overnight policy and then making a decision based on that. I don't think there is a one scenario suits all for this kind of thing.

I think you should just try and be the best observer possible, that way you can give your vet all the relevant information. Then always ask if they think admission would be beneficial.

When Eddison had stasis, it was directly following his neutering surgery. I knew he was in pain, and I knew he was stressed. Taking him back to the vets would have made it worse, so I called my vet and she gave me a bunch of advice, and also a breaking limit. She told me to wait the night, syringing Critical Care, tempting him to eat with anything I could, give the US version of Infacol, and just give him a gentle place to relax with plenty of water and hay. If he wasn't better by morning, I was to fill a script for Metaclop and give that to him. If that didn't work by a certain time, she thought it would be worth the risk to bring him in the office. We had a set plan and followed it, and that was the best course of action for him. I ended up not having to fill the Metaclop script, and he was the least stressed by the experience as possible.

Try your best to know your bunny's needs, log everything that has happened, make sure you trust your vet, and then overload them with information and questions. After that, I don't think there is much else you can do. If you know you're doing your best, then there is no reason to blame yourself if things don't turn out well. You did everything you could and gave that bun so much happiness in his/her life. No need to blame yourself. Just try to learn anything you can from it, and always remember that bunny with love.

I guess the moral of my "story" is to not always choose admission. Each situation and each bunny is different. But if you think admission is best after gathering all the information and talking to your vet, do not hesitate. Just do what you think is right.

I think fluid therapy (IV/Subcutaneous) is absolutely essential in cases of GI stasis. So if this cannot be achieved at home then I think 'yes' a Rabbit in GI stasis should be admitted.

I would said no, you are always the best person to look after your own bun. Just make sure you use NaCl injection, force feeding, and a warm in door place, should do the trick. That's how I dealt w/ the past many GI stasis from various buns

I think fluid therapy (IV/Subcutaneous) is absolutely essential in cases of GI stasis. So if this cannot be achieved at home then I think 'yes' a Rabbit in GI stasis should be admitted.

I'm just a bit curious about this. Do you really think every case of stasis needs fluid therapy? Like with my case with Eddison, he recovered just fine in a couple days or so with no subcutaneous fluids, and I really do believe it was stasis that had him not pooing.

This is what we lost Red to. Everything we (and the vets) tried didn't work. :cry:

We just hated seeing her in so much pain so we made the decision :cry:

We miss her sooooooo much :cry: the house feels empty with out her here :cry:

My husband is racked with guilt over the decision but we know it was the right one to make.

Binky Free Red 29.04.09

Back