• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Owners of black bunnies :)

Sam_Spice

Mama Doe
Just wondering how your guys cope in the sun? Poor Spice is about a million degrees to touch in the sun and then I stroke one of the white rabbits and there cool as a cucumber. The poor devil has to drink twice as much even though she's half the size and is often one of the first to flop out if its hot :lol:

Anyone else noticed the difference in their toastie buns? :lol:;)

Thanks for the link! If these frozen "things" (not decided what im going to freeze yet :lol: ) go down well I might invest in one of these :)

the fur color doesn't make that much different, does it? My bun Bernie is black, and at indoor, he likes to sit under the sun

i cant say ive ever noticed a difference to be honest!

but they all have shades in summer anyway :) x

Anyone else noticed the difference in their toastie buns? :lol:;)

Me. :wave:

Alfie always feels hot in the sun but I'm never sure if it's just his fur - I know how hot black clothes make me feel though so I'm assuming black fur must do the same. :?

He tends to stick to the shady areas whereas Bubbles likes to sunbathe. But then I worry about skin cancer because I know it can affect white cats and dogs - do buns get it too?? :shock:

I always find when outdoors that sooty is sunbathing & soaking up the rays & the others are shade huggers :lol::lol: as long as you give them shade to shelter under, lots of water....cooled if possible with some icecubes in the very hot weather, then they will be fine.

if very hot i put out iced up water bottles to lie next to ... coco loves sunbathing so i let him!!!! sooty mums 10yr old likes to be in shade so its never an issue! x

Dudley hasnt experienced the joys of being outside in hot sun yet! but he does like to lie on the top shelf of his house in the full sun streaming through the dining room window!!

The forcast for this year's summer is set to be 'Hot and Dry' according to the BBC today, so I'm in here soaking up all the advice like a dry sponge to prepare myself :thumb:

My Jack likes to stay flopped in the shade when its sunny, in the hot summer I put frozen 2 litre bottles of water out for them to lie next too.

Yeah, I used to have a dutch rabbit and if you touched the black part of him, it was red hot but the white part wasn't. I learnt ages ago in school, that white reflects heat, whils't black absorbs it. Thats why in hot countries, most houses are painted white.

mine are indoors, but they both have cooling tiles in their hutch :)
If it's a warm day, i soak them in cold water for a bit and they stay cool when they're dry

I use frozen pop bottles for them, but also used cheap white sheets drapped over their pens & hutches last year to reflect the sun off them - they kept all the bunnies nice & cool :)

But then I worry about skin cancer because I know it can affect white cats and dogs - do buns get it too?? :shock:

o...m...g.... ive just found a new thing to panic over!!! :lol::lol: Ozzy will have to stay indoors when its sunny! (hehe i jokin ;) but wow never knew about that?

Our buns have tons of tunnels, chairs, bushes and plants to chill out in. They even have a 7ft hutch in the garden they can go in (it was going for free.... how could i resist :shock::roll::lol: ). Its got white viynl tiled flooring and I've seen Ozzy snoozing in there a couple of times, and at a least one of them must know theres water in there as it keeps disapearing :lol:

I did buy a cold pad thing in P@H made by Scratch & Newton. It's a disc that you put in the freezer for a few hours and then give to buns to lie next to or stand on. Haven't used it yet though so it may be just tat:)

Frankie sits in the shade most of the day where fidget likes to bask in the sun. I was wondering this earlier actually - he must be so hot :(. He's a rex though so that helps

Back