• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

insurance

PearlyGirl

Mama Doe
Hi all, i am looking for insurance for my two new buns, can anyone recommend any? do i need to look out for any inclusions/exceptions in the terms and conditions or is it all pretty much the same standard?
Thanks

Like most things, you get what you pay for on the whole.
Insurance companies vary widely in what they will cover. For example, some are 12 month policies others offer lifetime cover.
With a 12 month policy the policy is renewed annually and they won't pay out for conditions that were present in this time so if there is a condition that will need ongoing treatment e.g. a headtilt, you won't be covered after the first 12months.
Lifetime policies will continue to pay until a maximum amount has been reached for that condition, so long as you renew the policy on time every year.
Routine treatment, including regular dentals may not be covered: you will need to check what exclusions they have.
I think the latest you can take out cover with most policies is 4 years old, but with a lifetime policy they will continue the insurance for life if insured before this age.
Hope this makes sense :)

I'd recommend Petplan. They cover any illnesses for life and don't increase premiums as a result of you having to claim. They also cover regular dentals as long as there was no pre-existing dental condition and that your buns have their teeth checked annually by a vet:)

(no, I'm not on commission:lol:)

Lol! thank you, i decided to go with them in the end....£15.68 per month for two buns so i thought that was good, i pay £25.00 for my dog Emi and that has gone up by £10.00 this year and i have never claimed!!!! (direct line that one is) xx

Glad you went with petplan, all my pets are with them and so will my buns (when i get some!) We deal with them alot in practice and have minimal problems :)

Lol! thank you, i decided to go with them in the end....£15.68 per month for two buns so i thought that was good, i pay £25.00 for my dog Emi and that has gone up by £10.00 this year and i have never claimed!!!! (direct line that one is) xx

:shock: I claimed about £1600 for my boxer in the first year of her insuance and my premiums went up £2 month!

Oh that is good to hear then that i have made a good choice!!!
£2 a month?! i wish i could get Em on petplan but only just renewed and she is getting on a bit....will still look tho when the renewal comes up again! direct line robbing so and so's!! x

Just a quick question - is it worth taking out insurance?

I keep umming and ahhing about it. Some people say yes others say just pay what you would spend on insurance into a separate bunny bank account each month. Don't know what to do!

Back