• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does certain breed always has tamer, more friendly personality than other breed?

Does certain breed always has tamer, more friendly personality than other breed?

• yes, please specify the breed

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • no

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • it depends on their personality, not the breed

Votes: 18 75.0%

• Total voters

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
Is there a certain or a few breeds that always comes with tame, friendly personality? Or there is no breed that really stands out?

If you have a track record of a certain breed that is always tame, please post it here

Me and my husband were discussing this. Might just be the individual rabbits but we have had 5 lops that have been completely trustworthy and never bitten. The 4 straight eared have all bitten me. The dutch especially had very sharp teeth!!!

It depends on the rabbit,I think...but Boris is my first rabbit and he's a mix breed (and a very cheeky one at that :lol:) so I don't know.

Me and my husband were discussing this. Might just be the individual rabbits but we have had 5 lops that have been completely trustworthy and never bitten. The 4 straight eared have all bitten me. The dutch especially had very sharp teeth!!!

yeah, same here. I've had 15 buns in all, all lops except for Jack and my 2 new ones and the lops were all so sweet. Never bit or anything. Jack however is a nipper and a naughty teenager (not that I blame him of course) and the 2 new ones are angels, but I've only had them a bit over 24 hours and they're babies so I can't say that for sure.

I had a straight eared rabbit when I was a teenager, and she was evil - Used to growl and lunge at me, and chase me round the garden biting my ankles when I tried to catch her :roll::lol:

I now have two dwarf lops, and neither of them have ever nipped, bitten or shown any aggression at all, so I'd agree with the lops being good natured. The lady I got mine from also had a couple of mini lops who were absolutely adorable, and so friendly. :love::love:

I had 1 lop, it's my bridge bun Monty. He's in fact very tame.
I also had 4 Flemish Giant, personality were good for most of them, but none of them are tame, very wild.

My current bun is a dutch, personality is excellent, but very territorial, not really tame. Neither is my other bun, Bernie, which is a Silver Marten

I think it depends very much on the personality.

I had a nethie (which are supposed to be very feisty buns) and he was the softest bunny ever; he never ever bit me and was so easy to handle (and he was unneutered :oops: but never showed any undersirable behaviour because of it).

Mini lops are meant to be good natured and my two are, but then I think of Donna's Alvin. :shock::shock::lol::lol:

my netherland dwarf is daft as a brush. he's a total fuss pot (on his terms:roll:), never bit me or even gone to but he's not yet 5 months old so maybe he hasn't got to the tommy tantrum stage yet.......

i've had - and still have - several other furry wonderful companions, guineas, rabbits and a dog (lab x - still miss you sooty:() when i was a child, hamsters of all kinds and the only one that has ever bit anyone is the winter white dwarf female hammy we have now. she really doesn't like anyone:(

x

I have 5 mini lops and all 5 are different.

Thumper is a very shy boy who enjoys chewing things hes not ment and doesnt like human company.

Millie is alittle friendly and has her mood swings :roll: but like thumper doesnt enjoy human company, shes very outgoing and isnt shy!

Skye is a very friendly boy and is scared of nothing, hes extremely outgoing and, hes very playful and loves to jump about and get into all kinds of mischief :lol:

Gizmo is a shy boy and loves attention from animal or human, hes slightly cuddly but when he wants them not you :roll: he likes to stay near his cage at all times and isnt very adventurous.

Fudge is the friendliest and so cuddly. She LOVES attention from humans but isnt keen on animals. Shes somtimes a little shy but around the people she loves shes a happy little bunny and demands snuggles:love:. She likes to be out her cage but not an active bunny although she enjoys climbing on furniture :roll:

Then there my newly adpoted bunny Leo, hes a netherland Dwarf and is VERY active and loves to run about and jump everywhere but is VERY shy and is scared of humans and animals. He does love his nose rubs though:) (He was my sisters bunny and wasnt given much attention so thats why hes so scared)

Every bunny is different but i always assumed the bigger the bunny the more personality and affectionate they are, I dont know though because ive never had any other breed so i cant say!

I have a black 9 week old mini rex and she is is very tame. evert time i open her hutch shes trying to jump out at me because she wants a stroke.

I think it is a personality thing. Dutch bunnies seem to be quite cheeky and territorial in many cases. But I can't say that one breed is always tame.

whatever breed it is..if its female..its going to be territorial:lol:

Bif was abdly abused so she hates people and is a nipper but only to save herself.

bandit was a little lionhead and was very nervous but affectionate and liked people a lot more than bif! he was very funny a right little clown who loved his chin to be rubbed:shock: he adored being stroked and nosey rubs but hated being held.

my first bun was a holy terror a dwarf lop doe..but ive since learnt a lot of her things she did were shows of affection too..i never reaised till i had other buns.
but she did have severe dental issues bless her.

my little crossbreed uppy eared bunny was extremely cheeky..bold...nosey and loved nosey rubs and even cuddles..but i could never fully house train him!

our little mini lop oscar was the sweetest cheekiest most friendly bunny i have ever met..he adored cuddles would go to sleep in your bed snuggled up under your arm or by your chest..he was lovley and once neutered..he was THE cleanest little bun i have ever had and probably ever will. he loved to be adored and wasnt scared of people..until near the end of his life after the problems following my dads death...the greif rub off and stress form my mum every single day rouind here was too much for him n bif..bif survived by the skin of her teeth..he didnt:(
The fesitiest buns are def female..my first bun..then bif....then willow aka bunzila! she was a frenchie who didnt sem to ever stop growing even tho she died just before her 2nd birthday..she was huge..not fat/obese..just huge!! very possessive over bertie who she took from bif:oops: but she never ever lunged at anyone and never ever nipped anyone even by accident.

berties the most laid back bunneh ihave ever met...so laid back you think hes dead sometiems and go to check his breathing...im not kidding!:shock:
He takes people esp little children in his stride..not frightened of dogs or cats as all 3 were at his old home. he aodres to be fussed over..especially a nosey rub or a cheeky rub....and he gets comfy like a dog to stay there whils he gets fussed over. He snores so loud the tv has to be turned up:oops: when its cold or he wants a hug he makes it known and the lazy devil gets carried to the sofa where he lays down and purrs whilst hegets cuddled like a toy..he aodres it and goes to sleep..when ehs had enough he wanders aorund the sofa sniffing like a dog and licking hands etc..when hes had enouf off he trots down his doggy steps onto the floor. somethiems hell come up on his own too depends if your paying attention to the signals or not:lol:

like wilow hes a frenchie........i had to lift her ears to steam clean the floor whilst she slept...and berties the same..or was till he copied bif!!

we know have the little uppy eared crossbreed with a smidge of lionhead in him..hes mad..ever so norty..and he nips but only cos he needs doing and his heart stopped on the table when his teeth were taken out and vet isnt happy to risk it...its up to us tho.hes so horny we dont have much choice!

in general id say boys were easier going..does are more territorial and bossy and moody....they obviously need chocolate;):lol:

but girls ive found are easier to litter train..and in all lops of both sexes are easier to litter train..with bertie being the only exception..but hes alazy old codger and lived romaing free in a huge garden with his own shed with massive hutch inside and a pen to keep him safe..so litter trianing him after he was 18 months old and living like htat to being ahosue buns is hard work for him:lol:

hes everyobodys favourite like oscar was...its cos hes so soppy and friendly when hes properly awake!!:lol:

I have had 3 dutch bunnies in my life and two were absolutely docile sweethearts and one was quite aggressive. Apparently, my parents had got the aggressive bun from a bunny farm where they just bred the bunnies like crazy. The other 2 were from personal family litters.

I have also had a mini rex who was VERY hyper and highstrung but really loveable once you started petting him. I have a mix mini rex/dutch right now and he's nervous but super gentle. None of them have bit but the dutch from the bunny "mill".

I think its more of an individual thing. I have also had 2 lop eared and the male was docile but the female very highstrung and aggressive. She didn't bite though, she just lunged and scratched.

My friend had a flemish giant, what a baby! I love him. I think I will get a flemish giant I think next time.

Lynn

Back