• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore Hocks (Lots of threads tonight sorry!)

SisterMoonbeam

Mama Doe
Well i have just found out that Frankie has sore hocks :cry:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=179038

I am going to make him an appointment at the vets tomoz and hopefully get some treatment for him but aside from veterinary treatment what can i do? I have been reading up and will put loads more hay and straw in his hutch tomorrow (though he does have a tendancy to dig and sit in the hutch floor instead). Anything else? Obviously good hygiene etc but he has that anyway, litter tray is cleaned out everyday and bedding is replaced every other day and hutch is cleaned out thoroughly once a week. Also he is in the run on grass for about 9-10 hours a day, if not more at the moment with the sun shining later, will the grass be soft enough for his feet?

So worried now :(

Well i have just found out that Frankie has sore hocks :cry:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=179038

I am going to make him an appointment at the vets tomoz and hopefully get some treatment for him but aside from veterinary treatment what can i do? I have been reading up and will put loads more hay and straw in his hutch tomorrow (though he does have a tendancy to dig and sit in the hutch floor instead). Anything else? Obviously good hygiene etc but he has that anyway, litter tray is cleaned out everyday and bedding is replaced every other day and hutch is cleaned out thoroughly once a week. Also he is in the run on grass for about 9-10 hours a day, if not more at the moment with the sun shining later, will the grass be soft enough for his feet?

So worried now :(

Take a wee trip into 'Health' and do a Forum search on Sore Hocks......;)
There are loads of threads there with helpful advice and information.
I'd post links to the threads here but I have a houseful of poorly Buns :cry: so I am pushed for time today :)

Last edited:
Thanks. Have had a search through - some very helpful tips. I did notice one about baby matresses in the hutch, seems a good idea. Although i do have a couple more questions i couldn't find much on. Lino! When they move into the shed they have lino on the floor... i'm thinking it may be best to cover the entire floor area in hay. And i do hope the grass is ok while he is in the run.

Hope your bunnies are ok Jane :(

i agree on the "health" search thing
my girls both have sore hocks every now and then. they live in a shed lined with thick lino and that seems to keep it at bay most of the time without being covered in hay or straw
The flair-ups seem to happen when their feet get wet i.e. if the decking their attached run is sat on gets wet in the rain then they go out and sit on it! so if you can keep the run sheltered that might help.
my girls are dead weird and hate all things soft and comfy! so i cant give them soft areas to sleep on, such as fleece or cuddly beds etc, but being on grass now the weather is good seems to be helping too. i am getting rubber matting for the run on the deck, depending on if it can sort out some drainage for it.
i put sudocrem on their feet whenever they get a little red or their feet get wet, but dermagel (can get it on ebay for about £10) is really good too, plus a tube of flamazine from the vet if that doesnt help.
hope that helps!

i agree on the "health" search thing
my girls both have sore hocks every now and then. they live in a shed lined with thick lino and that seems to keep it at bay most of the time without being covered in hay or straw
The flair-ups seem to happen when their feet get wet i.e. if the decking their attached run is sat on gets wet in the rain then they go out and sit on it! so if you can keep the run sheltered that might help.
my girls are dead weird and hate all things soft and comfy! so i cant give them soft areas to sleep on, such as fleece or cuddly beds etc, but being on grass now the weather is good seems to be helping too. i am getting rubber matting for the run on the deck, depending on if it can sort out some drainage for it.
i put sudocrem on their feet whenever they get a little red or their feet get wet, but dermagel (can get it on ebay for about £10) is really good too, plus a tube of flamazine from the vet if that doesnt help.
hope that helps!

Hi thanks! I have brought them in and set up their indoor run for the time being as its soaking outside :(

Back