• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

french lops

hayley2812

New Kit
Am looking at getting a lovely french lop and would like to know if a 5ft cage is long enough, as i wouldnt want to do anything to affect its growth. I have read so many different things and am looking for other opinions.
Thank you

French Lops are Giant Rabbits.
5ft is absolutely miniscule for a giant. I wouldn't even put one of my average sized buns in one.
Is the bun going to be a house rabbit?
What about getting the largest dog crate you can find?
That'd be adequate for a base along with free ranging.
All the best :wave:

If the bun is to be an outdoor bun, i would get a shed and attach a run via a catflap, getting bun a friend for company and neutering both to eliminate naughty hormones!

thanks for that from looking round i thought it would be too small but so many different different places say different things i really wasn't sure.

i have to say from some of the things ive read you would be shocked at some of the ideas about how big they need. Thats why i wanted to check i was sure it couldnt be right.

I wouldnt put a french lop in anything less than a 6x4 shed with attached run :) They need so much room. They wouldnt even be able to turn round in a 5ft hutch... the rspca states any rabbit needs a minimum of 6x2x2ft :) xXx

My french lops both have hutches but both live freely at night they sleep in the bunny shed which is 6ft by 6ft with toys and hutches open if they choose to go in.
I have a french lop boarding here and he is in the 8ft by 2ft by 2.5 fthigh hutch over night the rest of the time he is in a double sized run from about 8am til 8pm, They need space to be able to binky around.

frenchies differ in size depending on if they are pedigree! we have all pedigree ones and they are HUGE!!! the biggest buck we have is the size of a labradors body! they like to lie down with there feet stretched out behind them whcih makes them even longer!!! i would say 6ft is the minimum size for a hutch/cage.it needs to be higher than normal hutches too as they also like to sit up like meerkats and will bump their head on a too low roof!!

My french lops have had what people on here would say "too smaller cages"but they are mostly free range and go in the cage for the toilet.Barley was free range but cos Dill is still a baby and upto mischief we have to cage them when not being watched but cos of my shifts[im off in week and hubby off at weekend]it only seems to be overnight at mo.B only weighs 9-10lbs so is pretty small for a frenchie.Will,my last french lop weighed 15lbs and was so soft.

Thanks for all the info when i was told a 5ft hutch was k i thought it was too small and wondered of it was true
thank you

Back