• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dandelion leaves

Jayney

Mama Doe
Could i freeze dandelion leaves so they could be used all year round.

i'm only wondering cos cerys has been poorly with her teeth and they are the only yhing i was able to tempt her with, dont know what i would of done if it was winter

Try some, but I think once they are defrosted they might be soggy and wet and slushy ? Would be interested to hear the outcome though !

maybe it would be an idea to look at a wild bunnies diet and see what is in saeson then you wont have an need to freeze dandelions:wave::wave::wave::wave:

They would probably be a bit limp defrosted but you can dry them. You could also grow them in pots on your window sill :)

Does anybody know how to dry them out? Ours love the dried ones that you can buy at PAH, so didn't know if it was possible to do them yourself & save them for winter?

well i have stuck a couple in a freezer bag and will let you know how they turn out:lol:

didnt think of drying them so i will do that aswell

I took a bag of frozen dandelions out of the freezer (where I'd put them in error :oops:) and they were total mush - unusable for either buns or torts.

well i froze a few and when i defrosted them they went really dark almost black colour and were a little limp so i think it is a no no

drying them is probably best i think

Drying them out slowly on a rack in an airing cupboard works really well. I dry out a lot of hedgerow and use it, so the buns get it in and out of season. Takes about 3 weeks I've found to get it really dry, so it can be bagged and stored. If you bag it too early, it will just rot. Just check on it periodically while it's drying to make sure it is not growing a fur coat to match the bunnies!:D

Why not get some seeds and grow your own! That's what I'm doing, and there's no reason you couldn't do this all year round. Then they would be nice and fresh for your bun.

Back