• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Injectible Penicillin & Selamectin

Hey, everyone,

My bunny Coco received a penicillin injection on Friday (6 days ago) for Pasteurella/other bacterial infection, and I also need to retreat him for fur mites with selamectin. The vet said it was no problem treating with both at the same time, but I just wanted to get other opinions. Since the penicillin can affect intestinal gut flora for up to 10 days after treatment, and I know selamectin also significantly reduces the amount of bacterial life in their fecal pellets, it seems to me that treating with both at the same time may stress his digestive system. But this needs to be weighed in balance with the fact that his first treatment of selamectin didn't kill off all the mites and we need to treat again ASAP, preferably before they get as bad as they were.

Your thoughts are appreciated!
Kim

:wave: the fact he is ill is the reason for the mite outbreak...its true im afraid buns who arent well tend to suffer outbreaks or infestations of mites......the sad thing is if you dont treat it the mites will run mad anyway..if yiu do treat it you worry about the whole fact youre worrying about now:(

selamectin is toelrated better than ivermectin which is the drug of choice here in the uk..but alot of vets are becomeing aware that selamcetin is a better option for osme buns and is especially wonderful by comparison in treating ear mites too.

both however are a drug and have side effects...BUT if youre vet said its ok..then i guess id have to say as long as your vet is bunny savvy then listen to your vet;)
BUT more experienced bunster owners will be along shortly with much better advice than me...i hope you get the help that you need.:wave:

Yeah, that's my worry, too, that it's underlying illness that's causing the mites; he's had the mites a couple of months now (the first vet we saw dismissed it as dry skin :( and the second vet gave us selamectin which got rid of most of them, not all), whereas the bacterial infection is, to our knowledge, new to the scene. We first noticed white mucus coming out of his nose a bit less than 2 weeks ago. It's possible it's been a problem longer than that, of course, without outward symptoms, I suppose. :?

But yes, my assumption has been that something is weakening him, whether it's the infection helping cause the mites or vice versa, I only hope there's nothing else affecting him. He's approx. 7 years old, so he's not a youngster anymore, but we're hoping he'll be around another few years... He's also a teeny bit on the skinny side; I thought he might be underweight but the vet says he feels fine, but it might be worth looking into more and maybe trying to get him to gain a fraction of a pound; I know underweight buns are much more susceptible to disease. Of course, being fat is no good for a bunny, either!

aww bless him.
our vet said best to treat the mites as its makes a viscious circle for them.
Do you trust your vet..are they rabbit savvy? then if you do id treat him poor old fella......

omg poor chap..can the white stuff be cultered to identify what it is?

bif had the most horriifc infestatation due to teeth problems...stress.....unbonding........stasis........etc etc and she was awful..no fur aorund her tummy lady bits etc...it was shocking to see and it kept getitng worse!
like i said eventually the bottle of ivermectin i got seemed to knock them on the head after everything else failed even after a dental!

its a case then of keeping them under control instead of eradicating them in his case i guess.....so thats a must..to keep the levels down before a severe infestation takes over due to his body reacting to the infection:(

let us know how he gets on.xx

To reduce the risk of gut related problems in rabbits it is wise to give a probiotic powder in the water when rabbits are low or are on antibiotics.

This is the same as us humans taking probiotic drinks when we are on antibiotics.

I've been sprinkling a little acidophilus on his greens. It's been a week since he had his shot and since the day before yesterday his pellets have been on the smallish side, so I've been giving him tummy rubs and making sure he eats lots of hay and fresh greens.

Back