• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Syringe Feeding

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Hello all :wave:

I know I am not a Vet !! However, I am a bit concerned that I am seeing quite a few posts about Buns being syringe fed before being examined by a Vet and Vet telling care-giver to do so.

Syringe feeding should not be attempted unless you are certain that the Rabbit does not already have very full guts, is not bloated and there is no sign of an obstruction.

Syringing water is OK but to immediately start syringe feeding an anorexic Rabbit might do alot more harm than good. There is a Care Reference about Syringe feeding here :

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=116738

I'll butt out now and mind my own business........:oops:

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Jane; I hadn't read that before and it was very useful. :)

even on vets advice im very wary of syringe feeding food... id rather do the water and let the bun eat on its own, after i read Elves post that once that her bunny died as a result of being force fed after being to a vets for examination and told to force feed :shock:

Alvin was not force fed once when he was admitted for stasis (i think), i understood that they pumped him full of drugs and waited for him to get over the pain and start eating himself..

I completely agree with you Jane - I think it's a very helpful post & link :)

We also had the trauma of losing our beloved little Alfie last year whilst I was syringe feeding him :cry: We'd been told by the emergency vets to do so after they'd seen, as he wasn't eating on his own, but it stressed him so much whilst being poorly that he had a stroke & passed away in my arms :cry:

Looking back IMO the vet should never have discharged him, he might still be here if they hadn't :cry: I have to say after losing Alfie, syringe feeding is something I dread :cry:

I know some bunnies do need syringe feeding, but as you say this should always be done under vet instruction after the bunny has been examined first.

I hope my post is not read as me thinking I know it all. I dont !!
But I am aware of how it can be very dangerous to syringe feed a Bun.
Sometimes syringe feeds are essential and done correctly they can help save a Buns life. But to go straight in with what is effectively force feeding without knowing what is going on in the Bun's GI tract is really not a good idea and could have tragic consequences :cry:

Last edited:
Sometimes syringe feeds are essential and done correctly they can help save a Buns life. But to go straight in with what is effectively force feeding without knowing what is going on in the Bun's GI tract is really not a good idea and could have tragic consequences :cry:

Jane I can assure you it doesn't :) - it is very useful & knowledgable advice that we should all be aware of - thank you for sharing this with us xx

It doesn't come across like that at all:D
Glad you wrote it as I was thinking it

Good advice - I think we sometimes panic people into thinking - not eaten OMT:shock:, but really it should be vets, vets, vets:D

I like to think I would trust my vet in such a situation.

I had to syringe feed Arnie during his stasis, all I can remember about his belly was that it felt like an empty sack.

From an owners point of view, how can you personally double check there is no obstruction/bloat?

I'm guessing with bloat it would feel like a bloated human belly but what do you feel/listen for when checking for an obstruction?

I'd hate to take vets advice and for it to be wrong, when I can double check at home :?

I like to think I would trust my vet in such a situation.

I had to syringe feed Arnie during his stasis, all I can remember about his belly was that it felt like an empty sack.

From an owners point of view, how can you personally double check there is no obstruction/bloat?

I'm guessing with bloat it would feel like a bloated human belly but what do you feel/listen for when checking for an obstruction?

I'd hate to take vets advice and for it to be wrong, when I can double check at home :?

No way am I suggesting people ignore a trusted Vets advice.
What I am trying to highlight is that attempting to syringe feed a Rabbit before knowing what may be going on in the GI tract is not a good idea. IE using syringe feeding as a 'first aid' treatment before the Bun has been assessed by a Vet may potentially do more harm than good

Put simply if Bun isnt eating reach for the phone not the syringe, get Bun assessed by a Vet ASAP :)

xx

No way am I suggesting people ignore a trusted Vets advice.
What I am trying to highlight is that attempting to syringe feed a Rabbit before knowing what may be going on in the GI tract is not a good idea. IE using syringe feeding as a 'first aid' treatment before the Bun has been assessed by a Vet may potentially do more harm than good

Put simply if Bun isnt eating reach for the phone not the syringe, get Bun assessed by a Vet ASAP :)

xx

But saying a trusted vet has told us to syringe feed and god forbid it turns out the bun had a blockage, is there any way for us to search for a blockage ourselves, after the rabbit has already received a vet check?

But saying a trusted vet has told us to syringe feed and god forbid it turns out the bun had a blockage, is there any way for us to search for a blockage ourselves, after the rabbit has already received a vet check?

Well being familiar with what palpating a 'normal' abdomen feels like- ie stomach, small intestines, caecum etc. Listening for gut sounds, but lack of gut sounds does NOT always mean there is an obstruction.
There are certain places where blockages/impactations are more likely, eg the outlet from the stomach to the small intestines (the pylorus). Impactation can occur in the caecum.

I am not trying to imply that every Vet gets it wrong !!
I am trying to suggest that if a Bun stops eating it is maybe best not to immediately start syringe feeding before the Rabbit is examined by a Vet. The posts that were concerning me were those where people were saying 'My Rabbit has not eaten overnight so I have started syringe feeds and if he doesn't pick up I'll take him to the Vet this afternoon'. As said before, using syringe feeding as a 'First Aid' treatment without knowing why Rabbit is not eating.

Blimey, I sort of regret posting this thread now as the last thing I want to do is make anyone feel that their Vet will no doubt get it wrong :cry:

Last edited:
Jane, I don't think it was your original post that suggested we shouldn't trust our vet if they tell us to syringe feed; I read it as you intended - that syringe feeding should only be undertaken after the vet has seen the bunny and recommended it NOT as a substitute for seeing the vet, or while waiting to see the vet.

Donna mentioned in her reply that Elve lost a rabbit after wrongly being told to syringe feed by her vet. It's very sad :( but I don't think it's wise to ignore your own vet's advice purely because somebody else has had a bad experience with their own vet.

Jane, I don't think it was your original post that suggested we shouldn't trust our vet if they tell us to syringe feed; I read it as you intended - that syringe feeding should only be undertaken after the vet has seen the bunny and recommended it NOT as a substitute for seeing the vet, or while waiting to see the vet.

Donna mentioned in her reply that Elve lost a rabbit after wrongly being told to syringe feed by her vet. It's very sad :( but I don't think it's wise to ignore your own vet's advice purely because somebody else has had a bad experience with their own vet.

Thanks Karen.
I was only trying to help but all I seem to have done is make some people anxious :cry:

Back