• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help me understand EC

TeddyPatches

Warren Scout
Teddy has been diagnosed with EC and is on a long course of panacur. I'm not seeing the vet until next week but no-one has actually explained to me what EC is and what it could/has done to Teddy, will it be completely cured? Will he have any lasting side effects? Any info will be gratefully received

It's a condition that is caused by a parasite getting into the rabbit's blood stream and making it's way to organs. It could be liver, kidneys, or brain for example, and depending on where it becomes active, that will determine what the symptoms might be.

Most rabbits in the UK are thought to be carriers but not all will suffer from an active spell where they are symptomatic.

In a bunny with an active parasite, in the brain for example, it can effect nerves which in turn can affect how it moves, or can cause head tilt. If the parasites are caught and treated with Panacur, they can lessen or eradicate the symptoms, but they may reoccur at any time (most likely following a 'stress' like an illness or injury or similar - even bonding).

EC is transmitted by wee and poo and so thorough cleaning of hands/feet and all the bunny equipment needs to be carried out to ensure no transmission to other rabbits in the household.

That's kind of a lay persons way of explaining it.

Awww hun I really feel for you, as we're currently treating our bun Wilson who's got headtilt - thought to be caused by EC :cry:

At the moment he's on baytril & metacam, as well as panacur for 28 days - he started being poorly a couple of weeks ago. Wilson also had a steroid injection this morning at the vets & is back tomorrow for more meds. Our Wilson is such a stress bunny that he won't accept his meds orally - so injections are best for him at the moment.

Is Teddy Patches on any other meds other than panacur? Bunnies really need antibiotics as well as pain relief to help them fight this, so if he isn't I'd talk to your vet about this to find out why they've not prescribed it.

Jacks-Jane sent me this link last night, as I was getting really stressed about Wilson - I found it really useful, so I hope it helps you too.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...gKG0Dw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

Also Bunny Mad Lisa has sent me this link which has been really helpful too

http://www.onthewonk.co.uk/

Give your little bun lots of cuddles & nose rubs from me xx

My bunny kermit had EC almost exactly a year ago now, he still has head tilt.....apart from that and a dodgy eye on his 'down' side he is fine.
Some buns recover 100%, some partly recover, some are left with head tilt etc.
Thing with EC is that there is no set rule for what will happen, which doesnt make it great for us bunny parents!

Thanks everyone, and thank you for the links bunnyaddict. Teddy had two blood tests done last week. The result of the first was that his kidneys aren't functioning as well as they should be, which the vet thinks is why he's got a wet bum and is leaking everywhere. The second was the EC test to determine the cause of the kidney problems.

He seems mainly fine in himself, a little more docile and wanting cuddles and attention all of the time but he's eating well and drinking more than he should be (which is why the vet thought it could be his kidneys).

He's on a 28 day course of panacur, i'm seeing the vet soon anyway so i'll ask about antibiotics for him.

I really hope Wilson gets better Bunnyaddict, give him some love from Teddy and I.

Back