• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

left without a friend?!

clarke

Young Bun
as you are all probably aware, our boy bunny died yesterday from pasturella, and now our girl bunny who we only got two months ago from a rescue centre is very lonely. She is just sitting round doing nothing and I know its early days but will she be ok on her own after losing her bonded mate.

what is the situation of getting another bunny to bond her with?

I would look for a new friend for her, she must be lonely. As long as she is eating and acting okay it isnt a "straight away" thing, however if she does, i would look straight away as some buns can pine awfully for their partner.

We have around 16 single males looking for a new home.

It's heartbreaking to see them looking so lost and alone isn't it? :cry:
There's not really a right or wrong time, so long as the bun isn't still looking around for it's lost mate, just whenever you are both ready.
When my bun was left alone after losing his brother and sister, about a week later I brought home 3, 9 week old buns from a rescue, mixed sexes, and he did a happy flop as soon as he saw them and bonded immediately (it wasn't even neutrl territory as I didn't know about such things then) Of course, I was lucky and sometimes it takes a little longer but it wil be worth it in the end :)

well she does seem awfully lost without him. not really looking for him just not upto her usual antics. been giving her lots of cuddles but she is so quiet. still eating and drinking but we will have to get her another male to bond with sooner rather than later. just didn't know whether she would take to another mate or whether she would reject cos she knew its not her friend. :love:

I've heard that bunnies often bond more easily when they have been bonded before. That certainly seemed to be the case with mine. If you're worried about the bonding, many rescues will help. It also helps to let the bun choose her own mate, rather than choosing one for her.

Good luck finding the right bunny friend xx

There are a number of rescues on here who would help you with bonding your rabbits, also offering your support when you get home.

If you let us know which area you live in we may be able to find a rescue able to assist you.

My gorgeous bunny Barney died nearly 2 weeks ago now, and his girlfriend Rosie, who I got a year ago from a rescue for Barney was so sad. She just sat in one place all the time, it was heart breaking! So we went to the RSPCA and found a nice single boy, a little older and a little smaller then her.

She is now on holiday being bonded with him, hopefully if all goes well they can come home at the weekend or soon after. As soon as we took her and put her in a run next to him, she was a different rabbit, running round excitedly. It was only 3 days after she was left alone that we took her for bonding, which felt horrible, as if we were replacing Barney, but it was the right thing for Rosie and Barney wouldn't have wanted her to be lonely!

Good luck finding a friend! x

we have a friend!

we have purchased a male dwarf lop only 12 weeks old but very cute and although we are still in the early stages of bonding them our lonely girl seems happier already. it has helped her a lot and we are glad we got her another friend, although we feel bad about replacing floppy who couldn't recover from pasturella. :)

Rabbits are social creature and can get emotional stress from losing a companion.

here's a list of rescue center in UK

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

or go to the Rabbit In NEED section and see who's available

Or post in the rabbit in need section, many members w/ rescue centers will response to you

If you can't find a rescue center in your area, some members here wiil do a bunny run and deliver to your place.

When we put our bunny "Fixed" down, his brother "Broken" went into depression. He didn't eat or drink. It broke my heart so 3 days later we found his new brother, Reeses. It amazed me how much Broken loved the campionship.

Back