• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nermal getting Neutered on Friday!!

SuzieBlue

Young Bun
Hi, my wee 5 1/2 month old mini lop is getting neutered on Friday - he's become a total nightmare recently, always biting and scratching as he tries to mate with my leg or arm!! I thought it best to have him neutered to calm him down.

I just want to find out if there are any particular after-care things I should know, or if there are any possible complications that I would be able to spot after I bring him home? (or how to make him not hate me any more!) I've done some reading up, but there's nothing like personal experience!

I've to drop him off in the morning and pick him up after 4pm in the afternoon, so at least he'll not be away over night, so I'll be able to let him recover fully at home.

Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks
x

Males usually recover very quickly from neutering. Just make sure he is eating and pooing and drinking and he should be fine x Oh and it takes up to 8 weeks for there hormones to go away :D

I had Peter neutered a week ago and he's all back to normal now. Was after 2 days really!

I just made sure he had nice soft bedding, an old fleece baby blanket, and kept him in a quiet place for the first 24 hours. He was eating, drinking and pooing b4 he came home from the vets.

Thanks for advice guys - I dropped Nermal off this morning and the vet I saw this time was much nicer than the one that did his check-up last week, so I think he's in good hands! (he even got a head-scratch which he looooves)
Can't wait to get him home though. Paws crossed!

when we had buttons nutered last week when we got him home he was quiet and mainly slept, the next day he was back to his normal self, he still gets a bit horney now and then and still can be agressive but i've notice it gets better by the day, he is alot less agressive than before he was nuteared

Back