• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My buns are starving - help please!

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.!

Who ever said looking after bunnys was easy? :shock:

My two girls Lola and Lucy seem to be constantly starving. I feed them the following.

9am. Eggcupful of SS with some greens and a few little slices of carrot.

Unlimited Timothy hay all day long.

5pm. Eggcupful of SS with small amount of greens. (Cabbage/dandelions/grass etc).

9pm Few pellets (about 3) with a mini Shredded Wheat.

I make their food as interesting as possible, with loo rolls etc and they have been wormed with Panacur.

Are they just greedy or am I doing something wrong??

Thanks folks!

If there a healthy weight Cat don't worry, my lot always rush to there food bowls and eat huge amouts and still want more. they would eat pellets all day if they could but they don't need them.

Lucy is at the top end of her weight ranger, she is rather plump and is food mad. Lola is a great weight.

Lola nipped me last night because I wasnt fast enough at putting her food in:shock: Little sod! :censored: Her supper was on top of the dog crate alst night and she was desperate to get up there for it.

I know, i swear my lot eat like horses and everything is always gone in seconds. :shock: I wouldn't worry either, what your feeding seems absolutly fine. :)

Strawberry is exactly the same! He has pellets at 6.30am, hay all day, veggies at 5.30pm and then more pellets at 11pm. He is always nipping me for more food, will take it straight off my plate and has his nose in the bowl before ive even put the pellets in. He has now taken to stealing food out of Snowdrops mouth!!!

So they are just greedy pigs by the sound of it!:lol::lol:

I was eating a choc ice last night and Lola was periscoping constantly to see what I had!

Strawbs does that. He can hear you open the fridge from the other side of the house! And if I rustle a packet of anything then he comes running up to me and leaps onto my chest to see if he can get his head in the bag before I kick him off!

Andrea ALL my bunnies are like this, be strong.

Miss Lucy needs to loose a few pounds, it wont do her anyharm.

Lola is her perfect weight, so carry on as normal

:D :D

I feel so mean! Mean Mummy - Lucy has the most gorgeous brown eyes that make me feel so bad! Malteser Eyes we call her!

Glad to know its just not mine! Phew!:lol:

I must admit I give my two more pellets. They get a handfull in the morning and night each. The SS pellets I have are large I cant imagine very many get in an egg cup?

I must admit I give my two more pellets. They get a handfull in the morning and night each. The SS pellets I have are large I cant imagine very many get in an egg cup?

I know - I do make it a heaped egg cup full! :)

Lucy is being made to work for hers via a treat ball, bless her :lol:

be strong ... coco bozo will litrally beg at my leg paws up scratting at me for food... he will polish off a bowl of food immediatly and lick it clean yes lick it clean... he looks at you like you are so cruel but i know in the past he ahs had umpteen bowls of food and still given me the look so he isnt really hungry just greedy... he has hay and grass to eat all day so he will never be hungry and has pellets around the sme times as yours on the contrary dora and arhtur eat the same amounts as him but will ocasionally leave some in thier bowl .. they arent so bothered i guess. be strong they are just greedy guts!!!

Tyson and Bruno (who live outside) are sensible eaters - eat a little then go back for more later - but greedy Miss Sparkle just eats it all at once. She dances round me while I'm preparing it and I have to literally drop the bowl on the floor as she runs as it with such a speed. She too nips me sometimes if I have my fingers near the floor as she thinks I might have food. She's a bit of a fatty so I'm trying to put her on a diet but it's very hard as she loves food so much. She has fewer pellets than the boys, plays out with them for exercise, yet is still much heavier than they are (she's a bigger breed though as they are lionheads and she is a dwarf lop but I think she's a bit big even for a dwarf lop. The vet very kindly said he thought perhaps she could lose a little weight he's so sweet our vet)

Mine are the same!!! Merry bangs on the hutch door when you're approaching at tea/breakfast time, then gobbles all the excel, stopping occasionally to chase her sister Pippin away, then has been known to overturn the bowl and roll it downstairs in disgust that it's empty!!:lol:

Mine do the little dance around me if they think I have food! It involves a routine of periscoping, circling, nudging and chasing each other!:lol:

I wouldnt worry either!
Especially Pringle of my lot would eat ANYTHING i mean anything :lol:. Hes good as he doesnt chew anythigng he shouldnt, but food wise, he would eat everything, i have a teenage brother who's room is a tip, just like a typical teenage boy and pringle tries his hardest to get in their as their is little bits of food everywhere, we make sure his room is closed at all times :roll:. He even tried eating dog food once!!

Back