• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why are there so many buns in stasis?

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
What is going on? We all seem to be having so many problems with stasis at the moment, its almost like there is an epidemic:?

We have had another 4 in stasis in the past 2 days :shock: We had a similar number with it for the past couple of weeks, we have never known anything like it :roll: I know a lot of ours have problems and most of the time we know the reasons behind it and some of the others are moulting very badly. But it is becoming a really worry and very tiring :(

Is it just me or does there seem to be a real stasis problem moment?

Could it be anything to do with moulting Liz? I am keeping a close eye on a couple of mine who are moulting badly this year.

I have to agree it seems an awful problem at the moment....having lost Ziggy to stasis last week and the next day Indigo was having problems too...hers was fur related.

Mine are all having pineapple juice now and I'm on mega watch for any of them not eating ......its very tiring.

I suspect moulting, new lush growth of veg and grass and temperature fluctuations are all combining to trigger episodes. Possibly Spring hormone fluctuations trigger stress as well.

Holly had a funny turn last week and didnt want her dinner but Infacol and belly rubs and a chase up and down and a couple of hours later she was fine.

Lettice was poorly t'other night and we syringed her peppermint tea which she liked but next day she'd still only nibble herbs and didnt want her breakie so we took her vet and vet thought belly and guts fin, teeth too but she was definitely tender so she had anitibiotic and painkiller for suspected cystitis and happily, this morning she is back to her usual sprightly self. :D

I did say to Ben though that I feel the minute the weather gets warmer we have belly troubles with them. We've been really lucky the past few months and not had any poorly tums over winter.

I'm wondering if its a combination of moulting and rich spring grass where ours are concerned. :?

It certainly is a worry. I hope yours feel better soon. I'd be going round the bend with anxiety the way yours are up and down at mo! x

I know what you mean :( There does seem to be a bit of an epidemic going on.

I haven't told any of my family or friends that Sora’s been ill because they don't understand anything about it, no matter how many times I try and explain that it's not like Myxi, VHD or E.C. I'm not sure they even believe me that it's happening across the country at the moment either. They'd just tell me that I must be doing something wrong or I haven’t disinfected things properly after Luna and she's ‘caught it’ from her or something like that.

I'm convinced that my BB's latest episode was due to it being a really windy day - she hated it and acted strange all day, even though she had the choice to go inside.

Some of them only need a small change in their environment to set them off.

I swear by keeping Infacol in stock though - that, along with early detection has helped keep several episodes at bay recently.

Non-stasis vibes for all those buns!

I've been struggling with Archie for the last 2 weeks too - I'm blaming an exceptionally heavy moult. Has the weather changed really suddenly, or winter been less cold or something?

He is ok now though and has all his enthusiasm for food back!

It's not just owners/resuces who are noticing the large nummber of buns with stasis atm, my vet said they have seen over eight buns not including mine in the last week. She blamed moult and suggested that even when bunnies are eating fine to sprinkle pineapple juice on pellets if they are losing their coat.

Im posting a link to the Dana Krempel article on stasis for any new members.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

I would have thought your buns would be prone to bouts of it Liz, because of the nature of their other complaints. Stasis is often the secondary reason. It might be that you have had more taken in more frail buns than last year.

I know my bunnies are affected by veg (no more than a leaf of greens) and have easily got bloat by too much. I do worry about the amounts of veg I see some bunnies have from their photos on here. I once gave too much kale and nearly lost one bunny. We often discuss what veg to feed and not amounts.

I wondered if it was to do with moulting too. Bramble's been moulting & had stasis last week, before that it was September (winter coat coming through?) and she had stasis in the May before that (spring moult?). I try & give them a few dried pineapple & papaya chunks with their pellets at this time of year. Would there be any benefit to giving them a course of fibreplex as a preventative when they start to moult or would it not do any good?

Bramble (a nethie) has had stasis 3 times & Flop (a lionhead cross) has never had it *touch wood*, so it may just be a nervous bunny stress thingy.

*lots of anti stasis vibes to all the bunnies*

All 3 of mine went to the vets today for boosters and Ghostie was moulting so badly :? Please don't scare me :cry:

Milo had a bout a couple of weeks ago but this coincided with him chewing the lino in the shed:roll: Mine have fresh veg daily but not a large amount, a handful of pellets and a bucket full of hay. Also the dandelions are blooming so they are getting their daily dose of medicine.

To me it seems the crazy numbers of stasis episodes started before the moulting season Im blaming the dodgy greens that have been in the supermarkets for several months now!

Now Lola has gone into stasis so thats 5 in the past few days :( I think all except one are due to other health problems and poor Bundy is going through the most awful moult but he is fine now :)

Back