• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you store your hay?

applebed

Alpha Buck
I have been getting big bags of hay from the dust free hay company, but I worry that my house is a bit damp for it and am considering storing outside in a bin or bins. Does anyone else do this, and does it help? :?

You can buy mini weather stations, which monitor both temperature and humidity - they are great. :) I used to keep my hay in the shed, but realised that the humidity was way higher in there than inside the house, so I now keep it indoors. I used to also have one of those outdoor storage bins, but it only takes a little moisture to get in every time it rains to ruin the hay.

We took a trip to Normans at the DFH company the other day and picked up a van full of large bales. Ours is stored in an outside metal shed and we've never had a problem with it being stored this way. We do keep it at least 2 inches off the ground though so air can circulate.

i have one of these large plastic containers that keeps a bale of hay plus all the other bun stuff in it. it's very useful!

I keep mine in my cupboard upstairs beside the boiler.....dunno if thats good or bad, but kermit eats it fine.

I keep a bale ontop of my hutch, perfect fit. And a huge sack of redi grass in my cupboard, it makes all my clothes smell like fresh cut grass, who needs purfume!

I store mine in a big wheelie bin. It doesn't quite all fit in, so I put the rest in a plastic bin and use that first.

I get a bale of hay, and then split the bale into slices, and store it in open plastic bags. Portable and gets rid of some of the dust that is in there.

Thanks for all the replies - am thinking of a storage box so the council don't remove it by accident! :)

Back