• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT-Advice needed re Wilson's headtilt please U/D Back from vets 9.35am

Bunnyaddict

Wise Old Thumper
As some of you know Wilson has headtilt as per my thread below.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=178735

I tried about 45 minutes ago to give Wilson his meds for his headtilt & sadly he has completely freaked on me. He started to roll around on my knee whilst I was sat on the floor with him wrapped in a towel - that was before I even managed to get any of his meds into him I honestly thought he was having some sort of fit or seizure & would pass away there & then in my arms, as he was thrashing about so much. It was so similar to when we lost our little Alfie last year whilst I was syringe feeding him :cry:

After a minute or so he came round & was laid in my arms with his head on one side licking me - then he got off my knee & went to lay at the side of Alice. I'm not going to try to give him his meds again tonight, as I am so worried the stress will kill him. I'm going to take him to see our vet first thing in the morning to see where we go from here.

At the moment he is now laid out in his bed & although he's very quiet he seems no different to how he was before I tried to give him his meds.

Am I doing the right thing not giving him his meds tonight?

Does anyone know of an alternative way to get the meds into him - panacur he's fine normally taking it off some food, but baytril & metacam he won't touch unless I syringe him with it.

To be honest I have a horrible feeling that Wilson is just not going to recover from this to have any sort of quality of life. If I can't get him to take his meds where do we go from here?

Any advice anyone has got would be really appreciated. Thanks a lot guys, I'm just so stressed & upset by what's happened.

Last edited:
Oh Denise how horrid for you and Wilson

Baytril and Metacam can be given by injection. Hopefully your Vet might agree to this

I know that steroids are generally not a good idea for Buns due to them being immunosuppresent. But in severe cases of headtilt and other CNS problems my Vet will prescribe Dexamethasone. Its long acting and has excellent anti-inflammatory properties. It only needs to be given once every few days. I have had Buns on it once a week and towards the end of her life Sarah was on it every 3 days. Infact Sarah was on Dexamethasone and Penicillin for a year. Both 'high risk' drugs for Bunnies yet she had no bad side-effects at all. The two drugs bought her an extra year of good quality life

ETA- If giving oral meds is that stressful for Wilson I'd omit them tonight.

I agree with Jane - the drugs may be better being injected at the moment. Oh poor Wilson, it's so hard for them :(

I know it's early days yet, but when Wilson is calm could you try rubbing the tip of his ear and see what he does. We have found that head tilt buns usually like this and will forget for a minute that they actually have head tilt. They start to wash their bib :love: and sometimes you can get the medicines into them that way. It's also a good way to stop any muscles atrophying :D

Can you get some stemitil into him some way as well as that would help his disorientation.

Thank you so much Jane, I really appreciate your thoughts & advice.

Wilson has always been a stress bunny & the last thing I want to do is stress him more, but also know that he needs his meds if he's any chance of getting over this or at least living with it.

I will mention to our vet in the morning everything you've talked about & hope we can find something more suitable for Wilson. I'm giving Poppy penicillin injections every 3 days at the moment, so hope she might consider letting me try with baytril & metacam at the very least.

As you know all too well yourself, it's heartbreaking when they are poorly but also so stressed at the same.

Thanks for adding your comment to my other thread as well, I thought I'd better post another just about Wilson in case it got missed.

Thanks Jay too for your advice, I will try everything you've suggested - I really appreciate your help :)

Sorry if this sounds ignorant but what is stemitil? I've just never heard of it & don't what it is or what it does/

Thanks Jay too for your advice, I will try everything you've suggested - I really appreciate your help :)

Sorry if this sounds ignorant but what is stemitil? I've just never heard of it & don't what it is or what it does/

Stemetil (PROCHLOPERAZINE) is a med used in humans to treat motion sickness. Whilst Bunnies cant vomit the 'dizziness' they can experience with headtilt can make them 'feel' sick and disorientated.

ETA
Useful link http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...gKG0Dw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

Last edited:
Stemetil is a med used in humans to treat motion sickness. Whilst Bunnies cant vomit the 'dizziness' they can experience with headtilt can make them 'feel' sick and disorientated.

Thanks Jane, will mention that too at the vets tomorrow - will let you know what happens.

One week, I hope we'll all on RU manage a week without poorly bunnies :?:roll:

ETA - thank you for the link as well Jane :)

Last edited:
Stemitil is an anti sickness drug - also used for dizziness and vertigo - you can get it from the chemist - or any child travel sickness tablet - and this will help Wilson to stop the dizzyness he will feel while his world is the wrong way for him.

I have to confess that I have been put on the Stemitil and some antibiotics today as I have an inner ear infection - the human head tilt :oops: - and I can really sympathise with any bun who has it :(

Stemitil is an anti sickness drug - also used for dizziness and vertigo - you can get it from the chemist - or any child travel sickness tablet - and this will help Wilson to stop the dizzyness he will feel while his world is the wrong way for him.

I have to confess that I have been put on the Stemitil and some antibiotics today as I have an inner ear infection - the human head tilt :oops: - and I can really sympathise with any bun who has it :(

Thanks Jay, I will talk to our vet tomorrow & mention this to them - I will try everything we need to help our little guy cope with this the best he can.

It breaks my heart to see him like this :cry::cry::cry:

Hope you'll feel better soon Jay from your ear infection - they're horrible & I totally know how you feel :cry:

Back from the vets

Hi guys we're back from the vets with Wilson - he has been fine overnight since his episode last night where he appeared to be fitting on me. He's eaten, been drinking & poo'd, as well as been grooming himself & Alice.

However when I got to vets with Wilson & Alice - he started to appear to fit again in the box. Jane our vet saw him immediately - when we took the lid of the carry box, he was laid on his side crunched up with his head curled under him :cry: It was horrible to see him like this. Jane assured me it wasn't a fit that he was having, but that he'd lost his balance & was trying to get himself the right way again. Jane has given him an injection of baytril, metacam & steroid - she wants to see him again first thing in the morning. She has prepared me that if Wilson doesn't start to improve, we might have to consider letting him go.

By the time I'd got back home 15 minutes later, he had righted himself & was stood up in the carry box as if nothing had happened. I took them upstairs to their room & as I was doing this, the same thing happened again with Wilson :cry: I took the lid off the carry box & after another few minutes he was back on his feet looking at me as if to say 'what's all the fuss about? I'm fine!' I picked him up to hold him & he proceeded to wash me, then nip me as if to say he was feeling better. He's now scampering about their room & keeps coming up to me whilst I'm on RU.

I'm going to get him some stemitil asap & try to get him to take it from me - somehow I think the little monkey might have other ideas :roll:

It is so distressing to see him rolling about trying to right himself & the last thing I want to do is stress him more. After tomorrow, if he's going int he right direction, we'll hopefully be able to inject him at home with his meds. I just want my old Wilson back & so does Alice :cry:

Sorry only just seen this :cry: What a terribly stressful time for you :(

Wilson is such a beautiful bunny, I hope the meds work for him and he starts to feel better soon :):wave:

Thank you Liz, me & Wilson really appreciate it :)

I'm just glad I'm off this week to be able to be with him - I just don't to leave him at the moment.

Wilson & Alice are the most loved up bunny couple we have & if we lose him, I don't Alice will get over it :cry:

I'm just praying he continues to improve.

Thank you Liz, me & Wilson really appreciate it :)

I'm just glad I'm off this week to be able to be with him - I just don't to leave him at the moment.

Wilson & Alice are the most loved up bunny couple we have & if we lose him, I don't Alice will get over it :cry:

I'm just praying he continues to improve.

All fingers and paws are crossed here for him. Sending you a hug xx

Thanks so much guys - I'm convinced all these positive vibes & hugs work, as Wilson at the moment has just been tucking into his pellets & is now laid with Alice demanding to be groomed - but Alice being Alice is having none of it at the moment :roll: She's too busy grooming herself :?

Will keep you posted on how things go for our little man.

Back