• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxomatosis Again..................

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Were there so many confirmed cases on here this time last year ?
Is it me, or is it really bad at the moment :? :cry:

I really am getting totally paranoid about Myxo now. I cant seem to stop thinking about the 'what if'..... and my house is now adorned with numerous flypaper strips. All vaccinatable Buns are vaccinated but still I am feeling sick with worry. Much worse than ever before :cry:

Am I just having a neurotic episode :?

Aww Jane try not to worry, remember you vacinate all your buns and are taking every precaution possible, have there been any cases nearby?

Any biting insect and we have mozzies here :cry:

Okay, they were quite a few flies about at the weekend, they weren't really hovering near the buns, just the left out cat food :roll:
Just got me a bit panicky there.

Last edited:
I am ultra paranoid too. We have so many new buns coming in and I always neuter first and then vaccinate 2 weeks later so there is always a period of risk. I have tried to encourage more birds e.g blue **** that will eat hundreds of midges and gnats in 1 day. Nest boxes are my solution!

I am ultra paranoid too. We have so many new buns coming in and I always neuter first and then vaccinate 2 weeks later so there is always a period of risk. I have tried to encourage more birds e.g blue **** that will eat hundreds of midges and gnats in 1 day. Nest boxes are my solution!

I have seen the first few Blue **** around here in years. I will invest in some feeding thingies and nest boxes.
I just hope that I wont be providing easy pickings for the local moggies though :?

I've got fly papers in the sheds, (and my hair:roll:) and I've always encouraged the birds with a variety of feeders. We had a wood pecker last year, and we have 2 resident wood pigeons who have nested in one of our conifers.

Its not all biting insects which carry the disease only ones which have sucked blood from a rabbit who already has the disease, so if you have a lot of wild bunnies near you this is what you need to watch out!! I have loads near me!:? Ill be taking precautions!

we have loads of wild rabbits around here and they are quite brave about coming very near to the house. i'm also quite alarmed about the seemingly high myxo cases already this year (no def cases yet nearby but will ask gardeners as they seem to know before vets) so although eric had his jab in feb, should i be concerned about open windows (he's a house rabbit with pretty free run downstairs)? or am i being hyper paranoid?:roll:

x

I am also getting really paranoid about this. We live in Isleworth near Twickenham - its more Twickers than Isleworth actually but hey. RIght near a sewage treatment plant and as you can imagine we get quite a few mosquitos and the like. We have mosquitos plugs in every room in the house at the minute just because we end up bitten and also Bean and Truffle are house bunnies. Both are up to date with their jabs but still! Its a bit of a worry!

I have two that havn't been vax'd for medical reasons and it's scaring the :censored: out of me. I am thinking about risking one to be honest, but the other is a definate no-no. :(

I don't think there were so many cases around this time last year - I thought the peak season had been more late summer for the last couple of years (due to wet summers). :?

I remember how scared I used to be when I had my 2 unvaccinated bunnies (health reasons). I used to constantly be on mozzie-watch.

I don't think I've worried about myxi before because until I found the forum I didn't know the vaccine wasn't 100% (another thing the vets didn't mention).

I'm worrying about Esme especially because the vet that vaccinated her (who didn't health check her before the jab) seemed to do the jab really quickly, I don't think she could have put 10% under the skin :? Then of cause when my new vet did Artie recently she was saying the 10% under the skin is the really important part :cry::cry: I can't ask the previous vet how she did it because I'm not going to get an admission if it wasn't done properly (I've refused to see her a couple of times since). I don't know if it would be okay to ask my new vet to do just 10% if I explain but I'm really worried about the implications for her.

Back