• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Bunnies fighting, large chunk of ear gone! *Pics added*

LoopyLouie

Wise Old Thumper
Title says it all! I got home today, put my bags down and put the kettle on and heard a massive commotion in the bunnies room. Went in, fur all over the place, mostly from one bun and a massive chunk of his left ear completely gone! My buns are a up to now happy, laid back trio and I've no idea what could have started this off! Any ideas! Help!!

Last edited:
The hurt bun has been to the vets, I called them straight away, had the wound disinfected, had a baytril injection, got metacam and baytril oral for the next few days.

I know this does happen but I'm just shocked as they're so laid back!

It's spring; throw the rule book out of the window. It seems that everybody's bunnies (including mine:roll:) are misbehaving right now.

Do you think I will be able to put them back together after the wound has healed? Will it be a complete rebond?

I'm sorry, I don't know. I hope somebody who has more experience with bonding than I do comes along soon.

Personally I would not attempt rebonding after a serious injury has occured.
I know some people do, but I think its just too much of a risk

I hope your Buns injuries heal well :)

Personally I would not attempt rebonding after a serious injury has occured.
I know some people do, but I think its just too much of a risk

I hope your Buns injuries heal well :)

Me too! I'm going to be in a bit of a predicament if they have to be separated though and may have to look at rehoming. I would hate to have to do this. It was all going so well :(

Gosh, your poor bunny :cry: how awful to come back to that.
I had a group of 5 that fell out about 3 months ago, there was fur everywhere and upon closer inspection one of them had a gash under his jaw that was going to require stitching but they didnt as it appeared slightly infected.
I was advised by my vet not to return the injured bun to the rest of the group. In her opinion it wasnt fair to him after that experience and also she doubted that they would ever get on again now blood had been drawn. :cry:
So I went along with my vets advise. I'm not sure if that is everyone's opinion though.

My boy Violet has a piece missing out of his ear, his brother Bugs did it. He was treated with baytril etc and left to heal.

bugsvi004.jpg

bugsvi005.jpg

bugsvi006.jpg

108_1412.jpg

:wave: Hope your buns ok xx

Last edited:
Lillian did you manage to rebond your buns?

The cut is surgically precise and there is about a 1.5 x 3 cm chunk completely gone!

My boys had a fairly major falling out before Christmas. We had to have a trip to the vet but didn't need stitches. I do think the only reason it was a major injury was because one of them got trapped, although they had been scrapping before. I ended up seperating them for about two months. They were in the shed together but with it halved. They could still see each other. I was letting them out seperately into the garden when we had one chased and frightened by a cat. I took this opportunity to put them together and they washed each other and have been fine since. We do get the odd chasing in the garden but this time of year that is inevitable.

:shock: oooh gosh poor bunny. I personally could not even bring myself to rebond after that! :shock: but obviously it's up to you.
I hope it heals up with no bother.
Blimey I would have completely had kittens if I came home to that! :shock:

Oh my goodness! Is one of your other bunnies a cannible??? That is some bit!

I hope bunny is feeling better soon!!!

Poor Bun, that must be very sore :cry:

I know, bless him. He doesn't seem too troubled though, poor Wilm, he was very shocked at first but he's back to being his usual self at the moment. He's dosed up on painkillers so I'm hoping it's not too bad and the vet said it's about as neat as if it had been surgically removed! :shock:

Back