• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Clipping Nails?

I do them as and when they look long, for the house buns every 6 weeks or so and very rarely for the outdoor ones as the tend to ware them down on the patio

Smokey's need doing very rarely, she does a lot of digging etc!

Inky broke one of his toes when he was younger, so it never wears the same. I get his done about every 3 months, I daren't cut it myself.

Wispa is a house bunny, for the life of me cannot remember when I last got his done, I think it was about 1.5 - 2 months ago. I think they actually might need doing again. Does anyone write down on a calender when they get them done.

I just look at mine to tell. If you can see them poking out when the foot is flat I take a little off.

Molly's grow at an incredible rate, and cos she can't file them down herself on any surface, they get clipped about every 3-4 weeks. Milly's grow slower, and get clipped about every 6-7 weeks.

every 3 months here... but i think i may have to make it more often as pearl are already starting to show thro her fur... the vet said every 3 months was just right last time i went tho :?

Mine get theres done as often as needed, or as often as i get rope ali into holding the more dificult ones for me. This reminds me they need doing!

I stopped using nail clipper, because I always afraid of over cutting into the quick and causes blood. But the consequence that I face is that my bun snap
her nail and her finger due to the excessive length of the nail.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=165483

In the end, I bought the above.

If the nail got too long and you don't cut it, 2 bad things can happen, as they had BOTH happened to my buns:

1) the nail will snap, blood will arise at the snap point, and bacteria can get in from the opening

2) The nail can trap by some sort of hole, and snap the finger joint, then the finger is loose and look like it's broken

Molly's grow at an incredible rate, and cos she can't file them down herself on any surface, they get clipped about every 3-4 weeks. Milly's grow slower, and get clipped about every 6-7 weeks.

Same as me, I do them myself. Two different vets and our rehomer had to show me how to do it before I was brave enough but now it is no problem, even with Huppie who has black nails.

I file my bunnies names every 2 weeks. The longer you leave nail clipping, the longer the quick (Vein) grows so if you don't do it often, your bunnies are going to have very long nails, that can't even be clipped down much. Every week, check your bunnies nails and just see if they look ok.

As soon as they feel long, I check them over a lot. I think it's about once every two months that Charlies get long :)
I've done Mables onces just so she gets used to it being done at the same time, but they weren't too long and they're still okay now so no sure how often she'll need doing.

Ours get done as and when. Its normally completely random, one day ill be holding one and notice theyre getting a bit long so I'll quickly do them. We normally have some kind of team effort, one holds one clips. Our buns are very gd but there little toes are fiddly hehe:lol:

Back