• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes U/D 1/6 Wilson - enjoying time with Alice in the sunshine

Bunnyaddict

Wise Old Thumper
At this moment in time, I'm worried at 3 of our bunnies & just wondered if anyone could spare any vibes for them all please?

We've got Ollie & Arthur both recovering from having absecesses removed - they both had their ops last Wednesday.

Arthur's was on his bottom & touchwood appears to have been successful - however, after his op Betsy now won't accept him back & keeps attacking him :cry: Poor little lad doesn't know what he's done to deserve this - I feel so sorry for him. I've split their pen in half so they can still see each other, but at the moment I daren't try to re-bond them as Betsy has tried to bite his wound :cry:

Ollie had an abscess removed from his groin - unfortunately Harry had bitten him the weekend before & it resulted in an abscess. I've now removed Ollie from the group & got him recovering on his own. He seemed to be doing fine & was eating & pooing fine. However, last night I got back from a weekend away whilst Mark looked after them - Ollie had developed a limp on one of his back legs closest to where the abscess was. He was fine when Mark checked on him at lunchtime. This morning he seemed better & I've booked him into see Jane who did the op tomorrow morning, as Jane is on leave today, however, I've checked on him again & he now can't put his weight at all on this leg & his wound is very red & seems inflamed :cry: I'm now taking him in for the evening surgery & I've got a horrible feeling they might want to operate again on him :cry: I'm worried sick about him, I just want him to be ok again :cry:

Then finally Wilson has developed headtilt :cry: It never rains but it pours :? He started with his head on one side a couple of weeks ago & we took him straight to the vets - he's been on baytril, metacam & panacur since & still is. We seemed to be going in the right direction with him, as his head was nearly back to his normal position. Then for some reason over the weekend it has now moved to the other side :? Jane has said this can happen & to keep going with his meds - he's still eating fine & pooing, but it does seem more pronouced than it did a couple of days ago. I'm just hoping that he can pull himself round with the meds etc & not deteriote further.

I just feel like crying at the moment, because of what's happening with them - thank god I'm on leave this week, otherwise I think I'd be tearing my hair out.

Last edited:
Oh Denise!....what is it with bunnies at the moment....its mad......sending loads of vibes for all of them and for you.x

Oh no Denise :shock: :cry:

I really empathise with you. It is so so stressful when lots of Buns are poorly at the same time :cry:

Sending mega vibes for them

xx

Sending lots of 'get well soon' vibes to all 3, and some 'behave & be nice to your man' vibes to Betsy :wave:

Thanks everyone, me & the bunnies really appreciate it - I know what is with lots of bunnies being poorly at the moment, especially several at once :roll:

Will let you know what happens with Ollie, I feel so awful for him as he seemed to be going in the right direction & then this happens :cry:

Awww, Denise I cant even imagine how stressed you must be - I'm a nervous wreck when I have just one poorly bunny. Sending lots of vibes for all 3 boys and a huge hug for you. xxx

Thanks guys I really appreciate your vibes & kind words - they do really help.

Well have got back from the vets with Ollie & they've said at this moment in time that they don't think they will have to re-operate thank goodness. Ollie's got an infection in his wound & they want to try him on baytril for the time being. They want me to monitor him & see how things go over the next day or two, if needs be then to take him back again. Fingers crossed baytril starts to help pretty soon - he's also on metacam for pain relief, which he'd been prescribed last week after his op anyway. They're pretty sure that the infection is making his wound so sore, it's stoping him from using his back leg properly.

Just about to give Wilson his meds, which really stresses me - he is the one bunny that kicks off everytime he has meds - no matter what I try :cry:

I tell you our bunnies know how to worry us don't they? :roll:

Advice needed re Wilson's headtilt & meds

Well guys I tried about 45 minutes ago to give Wilson his meds for his headtilt & sadly he has completely freaked on me :cry: He started to roll around on my knee whilst I was sat on the floor with him wrapped in a towel - that was before I even managed to get any of his meds into him :cry: I honestly thought he was having some sort of fit or seizure & would pass away there & then in my arms.

After a minute or so he came round & was laid in my arms with his head on one side licking me - then he got off my knee & went to lay at the side of Alice. I'm not going to try to give him his meds again tonight, as I am so worried the stress will kill him. I'm going to take him to see our vet first thing in the morning to see where we go from here.

Am I doing the right thing not giving him his meds tonight?

Does anyone know of an alternative way to get the meds into him - panacur he's fine normally taking it off some food, but baytril & metacam he won't touch unless I syringe him with it.

To be honest I have a horrible feeling that Wilson is just not going to recover from this to have any sort of quality of life. If I can't get him to take his meds where do we go from here?

Any advice anyone has got would be really appreciated. Thanks a lot guys, just so stressed & upset by what's happened.

Well guys I tried about 45 minutes ago to give Wilson his meds for his headtilt & sadly he has completely freaked on me :cry: He started to roll around on my knee whilst I was sat on the floor with him wrapped in a towel - that was before I even managed to get any of his meds into him :cry: I honestly thought he was having some sort of fit or seizure & would pass away there & then in my arms.

After a minute or so he came round & was laid in my arms with his head on one side licking me - then he got off my knee & went to lay at the side of Alice. I'm not going to try to give him his meds again tonight, as I am so worried the stress will kill him. I'm going to take him to see our vet first thing in the morning to see where we go from here.

Am I doing the right thing not giving him his meds tonight?

Does anyone know of an alternative way to get the meds into him - panacur he's fine normally taking it off some food, but baytril & metacam he won't touch unless I syringe him with it.

To be honest I have a horrible feeling that Wilson is just not going to recover from this to have any sort of quality of life. If I can't get him to take his meds where do we go from here?

Any advice anyone has got would be really appreciated. Thanks a lot guys, just so stressed & upset by what's happened.

Oh Denise how horrid for you and Wilson :cry:

Baytril and Metacam can be given by injection. Hopefully your Vet might agree to this :?

I know that steroids are generally not a good idea for Buns due to them being immunosuppresent. But in severe cases of headtilt and other CNS problems my Vet will prescribe Dexamethasone. Its long acting and has excellent anti-inflammatory properties. It only needs to be given once every few days. I have had Buns on it once a week and towards the end of her life Sarah was on it every 3 days. Infact Sarah was on Dexamethasone and Penicillin for a year. Both 'high risk' drugs for Bunnies yet she had no bad side-effects at all. The two drugs bought her an extra year of good quality life :)

ETA- If giving oral meds is that stressful for Wilson I'd omit them tonight.

Last edited:
On noooo! Sending you mega vibes for all three buns especially the little one Wilson! Goodness. You must be quite stressed. Everyone over here will say their little prayers. Sneding you mega vibes. :love:

Back