• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tapeworms or pinworms? Or could it be a maggot?

The cat at work had tape worm it comes out the behind in small strips but its wriggling:shock: its gross sometimes its been hanging from his bum:oops:

It vanished into the droppings..maybe died? :mrgreen:

The vet said the ivermectin (sp) will have killed any parasites, hence he passed it....(Hedgehog, not the vet... :oops:)

This seems to be a single one and it's only 0.5cm long/semi transparent/white...

OK - two of mine kept passing something sounding exactly like this. I wormed them and wormed them and the white strips kept coming out - generally laying on the surface of a fresh poo. Off-white in colour, about 0.5cm long and probably about 1-2mm wide. One day, one of them passed a whole strip of them. I can only describe it as looking like staples that you've just got out of the box ie. all joined together along their width.

I immediately took them (the 'worms') to my vet who in turn sent them to the lab. The lab confirmed that there were no internal organs or anything which resembled a parasite, even though they 'looked' like worms. Therefore the lab confirmed that they were vegetable matter.

My buns are regularly wormed and they STILL occasionally pass one of these things. They look like worms to me but if the vet and the lab say it's vegetable matter, I have to accept that. I don't have any pictures unfortunately as I don't have a camera capable of taking such a close-up.

Last edited:
OK - two of mine kept passing something sounding exactly like this. I wormed them and wormed them and the white strips kept coming out - generally laying on the surface of a fresh poo. Off-white in colour, about 0.5cm long and probably about 1-2mm wide. One day, one of them passed a whole strip of them. I can only describe it as looking like staples that you've just got out of the box ie. all joined together along their width.

I immediately took them (the 'worms') to my vet who in turn sent them to the lab. The lab confirmed that there were no internal organs or anything which resembled a parasite, even though they 'looked' like worms. Therefore the lab confirmed that they were vegetable matter.

My buns are regularly wormed and they STILL occasionally pass one of these things. They look like worms to me but if the vet and the lab say it's vegetable matter, I have to accept that. I don't have any pictures unfortunately as I don't have a camera capable of taking such a close-up.

Thank you for this. Description sounds very similar except this one was alive and had a tiny head/tail to it. Plus you could see fresh blood in its stomach. Hopefully the ivermectin is taking care of it. Ewgh!

Oh yuck:shock: The things I've seen have no obvious head or tail and I've never seen anything inside them. Yours do sound like worms (well not yours personally:lol::lol:) Hope your buns are OK.

Back