• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Heartbreaking Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellyrich

Warren Scout
I know im probably going to get lots of abuse for this but i am trying to do what is best for my buns and it is breaking my heart.

We have decided to try and rehome Dexie and Barney, we have had a few incidents where they have got hold of Stan and i cant risk having another situation like what happened to Dave again. We have tried to keep them apart but with nieces, nephews and other people coming round people they are forgetting to shut doors etc. Im very sad by this and wish i didnt have to do it as im gonna worry like mad about them but im hoping they will find a good home and be looked after very well. Im not going to advertise them just so anybody can come and pick them up, ive advertised them on rabbit rehome and a lady from a rescue near me is going to see if she can help at all but not sure if she can!

Does anybody know any other way i can make sure that they go to a good home together and will be given lots of space to run about, i dont want them to be locked up all the time. Or does anybody know sanybody who would give them a good home as i am going to be very picky about this.

Im sorry if anybody is annoyed at this but i have to keep locking them up and its not fair on them and if i can then i will find a better home for them, i didnt plan for this to happen, believe me im not happy about the whole situation

aw at least you want them to go to a good home. i'd make a post on here on the rehome part and see if someone on here would be interested. i hope everything works out for you.

Is Stan the bun you got just recently? How long have you had your pair?

Don't know if I've got someone else bun mixed up with yours.

Can either Stan or your pair not move outside?? Also it is still early days, they might well settle once they get used to each other's presence, especially once Stan is neutered.

If you HAVE to part with one of them, would it not make more sense to choose Stan as the others have been settled with you for longer?

Maybe someone on here could try a bonding for you once he is neutered?

Is Stan the bun you got just recently? How long have you had your pair?

Don't know if I've got someone else bun mixed up with yours.

Yes Stan is the bun we got recently, we have had Barney and Dexie since January about 2 weeks apart from each other.

The lady at the rescue home has just emailed me to say she has a lady who wants them but ive emailed her asking a few questions about the lady first. Its seems a bit sudden and my heart dropped when i raed the email it didnt seem real before but now it does :cry:

If you contact SOAD (Tree) with all the info on rehoming them she may be able to put them in the Rabbits in Need section. You can also put them on Rabbit Rehome. :wave:

Sorry to hear you have had to come to this decision.

Yes Stan is the bun we got recently, we have had Barney and Dexie since January about 2 weeks apart from each other.

The lady at the rescue home has just emailed me to say she has a lady who wants them but ive emailed her asking a few questions about the lady first. Its seems a bit sudden and my heart dropped when i raed the email it didnt seem real before but now it does :cry:

Could you not keep the pair and have Stan rehomed and bonded with a female bun? Or try the pair outside to save you having to let them go?

Can either Stan or your pair not move outside?? Also it is still early days, they might well settle once they get used to each other's presence, especially once Stan is neutered.

If you HAVE to part with one of them, would it not make more sense to choose Stan as the others have been settled with you for longer?

Maybe someone on here could try a bonding for you once he is neutered?

It is not safe enough for them to stay in my garden there are lots of foxes and cats and even rats pasisng through!! Dexie just turns really horrible whenever she sees him and she got hold of him a few times over the weekend and there was that horriblel screaming noise which i have never heard before and dont want to hear again!!

My OH wont get rid of Stan, they have bonded too well and we have always wanted giants i just wish i could keep them all but i cant risk another Dave situation, we thought they had bonded but it all went wrong!!

I would suggest stairgates with buzzers and training of the nieces and nephews. My 4 year old is the best one for opening the kitchen door carefully and making sure its shut again when the bunnies are in for a runabout.

Or could the pair live outside and keep your lone bunny as a housebunny?

It is not safe enough for them to stay in my garden there are lots of foxes and cats and even rats pasisng through!! Dexie just turns really horrible whenever she sees him and she got hold of him a few times over the weekend and there was that horriblel screaming noise which i have never heard before and dont want to hear again!!

My OH wont get rid of Stan, they have bonded too well and we have always wanted giants i just wish i could keep them all but i cant risk another Dave situation, we thought they had bonded but it all went wrong!!

So is it that the OH likes Giants and so the other two have to go ?
Sorry, but I find that really hard to comprehend given that the pair were with you first.

Did the pair come from a Rescue origionally? If so that is where they should be returned to.

Well, I hope Dexie and barney find a wonderful new forever home soon. It's just a shame because pairs are so much harder to rehome :(

So is it that the OH likes Giants and so the other two have to go ?
Sorry, but I find that really hard to comprehend given that the pair were with you first.

Did the pair come from a Rescue origionally? If so that is where they should be returned to.

No it isnt cos the OH likes giants that they have to go! We have made a decision so that we can stop them all from fighting and ending up having another dead rabbit on my hands that i had before as it is too upsetting and so that we dont have to lock up the rabbits in turns so they then arent getting enough attention that they need! Sometimes we have to make decisons that we dont like unfortunately and ive thought about this non stop and it is upsetting enough for me without people having a go. I want the best for the pair and that is what i am trying to do! I dont want them to be shut outside, Dexie hates it outside!!

Not they didnt come from a rescue otherwise i wouldl take them back there, but they are now being rehomed through a rescue.

Has Stan not been neutered yet? I'm assuming he hasn't because he's so young?

If he hasn't can you not wait until Stan's been neutered & got over the op - then consider trying to bond them again on completely neutral territory or ask an experienced bonder to try it for you? Dexie may be reacting in the way that she is because of Stan being unneutered :? Just a thought.

I know it's hard & you're trying to be fair to all bunnies you have, but to be honest I wouldn't consider rehoming any of my bunnies for these reasons, until you exhausted everything you possibly could at home.

Well, I hope Dexie and barney find a wonderful new forever home soon. It's just a shame because pairs are so much harder to rehome :(

Thank you, they have maybe found a home through a rescue centre i think, im just trying to find out more details about the lady who wants them and maybe go and vist her first but its quite upsetting now that its real!

My rabbits used to all be inside but actually the ones that are outside prefere it out there,There is no way id rehome mine if they could just be moved outside,If they had a nice shed/run im sure they would love it

No it isnt cos the OH likes giants that they have to go! We have made a decision so that we can stop them all from fighting and ending up having another dead rabbit on my hands that i had before as it is too upsetting and so that we dont have to lock up the rabbits in turns so they then arent getting enough attention that they need! Sometimes we have to make decisons that we dont like unfortunately and ive thought about this non stop and it is upsetting enough for me without people having a go. I want the best for the pair and that is what i am trying to do! I dont want them to be shut outside, Dexie hates it outside!!

Not they didnt come from a rescue otherwise i wouldl take them back there, but they are now being rehomed through a rescue.

It seems like such a shame to rehome the pair you've had for a while because you have a new bun.

Was the plan to add a giant to the existing pair (it sounds like you were never planning to keep them separate)? Have you looked into other options like finding a rescue or somebody on here who would bond the three together for you?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back