PDA

View Full Version : Myxomatosis Outbreaks 2010/2011

Leanne
27-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Hey all.

Can people please add CONFIRMED Myxomatosis outbreaks in their area with the date of first case.

This will help to warn people who have not vaccinated their rabbits and to consider minimising risks of contracting the disease.

Many thanks.

:wave:

lilbun
27-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Several wildies with myxi were seen by one of our vets, at Beacon Hill, Leicester in April.

Sooz
27-04-2009, 04:18 PM
A good friend has lost a rabbit to Myxomatosis today in Lincoln. :(

Starlight
27-04-2009, 04:25 PM
My vets have PTS at least 6 buns in the past few weeks, one was PTS last week :(

Leanne
27-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Thank you guys. :(

Kris where is your vet? So people know the area.

teresateddyb
27-04-2009, 05:12 PM

i think kris uses the same vet i used when i lived in london which is in goodmayes london

teresa

Snowberry
27-04-2009, 05:13 PM

The Lincoln P&H has a warning up saying there have been several reported cases in the area and are advising people to vaccinate their rabbits.

Jazzy B Bunny
27-04-2009, 05:40 PM
someone I know said he has seen two whilst out walking his dog...

Plympton Plymouth Area... :(

Michelleox
27-04-2009, 06:16 PM
My vet said last week that Oxfordshire is very bad for Myxi but VHD hasn't been heard of for a very long time.

Sooz
27-04-2009, 06:42 PM
The Lincoln P&H has a warning up saying there have been several reported cases in the area and are advising people to vaccinate their rabbits.

Yep, the area is rife with it apparently. She had another bun pull through nodular myxi but this ones vaccine immunity hadn't developed in time. It's heartbreaking, he was only a baby. :(

Starlight
27-04-2009, 06:45 PM

Goodmayes, Ilford. :(

louise and Gus
27-04-2009, 06:55 PM

:cry: :cry: :cry:

lelly34
27-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Myxi is definitely in COLCHESTER

Jack Bunn
27-04-2009, 08:57 PM
And ever present on the Isle of Sheppy.

*Spider*
27-04-2009, 08:59 PM
A lot of wildies have it around here in CHELMSFORD.

maisydaisystar
27-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Myxi is definitely in COLCHESTER

that means it will def be here in Ipswich too, (mine just had there boosters)

SisterMoonbeam
27-04-2009, 11:30 PM
I saw at least 4 wildies with myxi whilst staying with my grandparents over the easter weekend in Bucks fairly near to Milton Keynes

winnies angel
28-04-2009, 10:07 AM
The Gateshead area wild buns apparantly after talking to someone up that way

natandfluffs
28-04-2009, 02:02 PM
I've seen a couple of wildies that definitely had it recently- I'm just north of Swindon, so Swindon/ the Wiltshire- Gloucs border is probably a problem area :(

abbymarysmokey
29-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Myxi has been reported in NOTTINGHAM

My vet has seen and PTS many wildies from the West Bridgford / Gamston / Ruddington area.

Buuny_Friend
29-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Our vet PTS a wildie yestserday in Farnborough, Hampshire. I know it's only one but it is a very built up area and the bun was found sitting by the road.

Brinsley Bunnies
30-04-2009, 09:48 PM
I am treating a wildie from Nottingham area.

addicted to rabbits
30-04-2009, 09:51 PM
mine are booked in for next friday
cat xxx

mimi75
02-05-2009, 01:03 PM
hi.sorry i know you said CONFIRMED cases and this isn't confirmed,but,i work at The Great Yorkshire Show Ground in Harrogate and i have seen several bunnies in the last few weeks with very advanced stages of myxi.poor litte babies.

Santa
10-05-2009, 07:22 PM
A lot of wildies have it around here in CHELMSFORD.

So do a number of pets - my vet (in Chelmsford) said the season has started early and she has already seen several cases :cry: She's really trying to make sure people keep their buns vaccs well up to date especially at the moment.

I suspect it's so bad round here because of the bad flooding a couple of months ago - it left everything very wet and boggy, perfect breeding conditions for mozzies :(

SarahP
10-05-2009, 07:44 PM
I suspect it's so bad round here because of the bad flooding a couple of months ago - it left everything very wet and boggy, perfect breeding conditions for mozzies :(

I've seen huge numbers of biting insects round here, so I'm not surprised the myx season has started early. :(

Arabella ☆♥☆
22-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Sadly, there are many rabbits which have it in East Anglia :(
r.i.p ♥
I would advise anyone who has a rabbit to have it inoculated, as it is easy and doesnt actually cost that much;)

I have just had mine inoculated and I heard that it was at least two weeks before you can let them out and the thing starts to work properly? is this right?

I think it is so sad what the awful disease does to them, and I am so annoyed that HUMANS! caused this terrible disease:evil: I really, really hope that someone finds a cure which can help to save the poor wild rabbits ♥

Tamsin101
02-06-2009, 11:59 AM
I was told yesterday that the rabbits living in the grounds of the Hilton Hotel at J24 of the M1 have myxi. :cry:

tamsin x

Gemsy
15-06-2009, 10:38 AM
I live Wrexham North Wales and my vet has told me there has been that many cases of mixi that they have been advising people to inject their bunnies every 6 months not every 12. I lost 3 bunnies at the same time to mixi 2 years ago. Heartbreaking.:(:(:(:(

Angie65
15-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Barnsley South Yorkshire. Lost one to myxi last week - my vets DID say they haven't had many cases in this year.

Sooz
15-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Barnsley South Yorkshire. Lost one to myxi last week - my vets DID say they haven't had many cases in this year.

My vets havn't treated a Myxi bun yet this year in Sheffield but it is rife amongst the wildies, as per usual. :cry::cry:

clutterydrawer
20-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Only just saw this thread....can i add that I've seen wildies with myxi this year, i'm just south of Daventry.

cherryredcutie
23-06-2009, 10:27 AM
I have just come back from holiday in Cornwall and we saw a wild rabbit with myxi at Land's End.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g14/cherryredcutie/Myxi.jpg

christine knowles
05-07-2009, 09:58 PM
I have seen a rabbit today in whatstandwell Derbyshire with myxi, the local farmer said it is rife in the area at the moment.

Chrissy

p.s Missing my Little Thumper

Hanlou
05-07-2009, 10:01 PM
I have seen a rabbit today in whatstandwell Derbyshire with myxi, the local farmer said it is rife in the area at the moment.

Chrissy

p.s Missing my Little Thumper

I was going to post something similar - my husband has seen myxi' rabbits in Clay Cross near to Chesterfield in Derbyshire last week. :(

Loz
10-07-2009, 11:28 PM
we've had to put a few wild buns to sleep recently due to myxi...
bracknell/reading area.

GiantDwarf
12-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Loads of wild rabbits with myxi (loads dead) in Durham area, my rabbits have been confined to the shed for the last few months.

Leanne
26-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Myxi has hit Harlow and Roydon. I have wild rabbits with it on my reserve. Had to call in a marksman to put them out of their misery.
:(

blaisey
27-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Loads of wild rabbits with myxi (loads dead) in Durham area, my rabbits have been confined to the shed for the last few months.

Which part of the Durham area is that?

Lillian
27-07-2009, 08:33 PM
I have just come back from holiday in Cornwall and we saw a wild rabbit with myxi at Land's End.

Omg :cry: aw that poor thing!

kayj
28-07-2009, 11:41 PM
There was a confirmed case in Farnworth, Bolton last week:(

TeflonsShadow
29-07-2009, 12:31 AM
I'll check with my vet when I see him in a fortnight but the posters in my vets are saying that its in the area and to vaccinate every six months so Rimmi had his first ever jab today. Bless

Thats Cheltenham/ Gloucester (Gloucestershire) area

aliceechamberlain
30-07-2009, 06:58 AM
I'll check with my vet when I see him in a fortnight but the posters in my vets are saying that its in the area and to vaccinate every six months so Rimmi had his first ever jab today. Bless

Thats Cheltenham/ Gloucester (Gloucestershire) area

Yes, definately in Glos. A wild bunny found its way onto our front lawn at the weekend and the poor love had myxo. Rather frightening when I currently have 84 rabbits here though!

Alice

mousetarget
02-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi everyone

Myxi is in Cheshire at the moment, my brother lives not far from Manchester airport and tells me nearly all the wild rabbits in the nearby fields have Myxi.

carolynhancox
13-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Hey all.

Can people please add CONFIRMED Myxomatosis outbreaks in their area with the date of first case.

This will help to warn people who have not vaccinated their rabbits and to consider minimising risks of contracting the disease.

Many thanks.

:wave:

my rescue rabbit buttercup has just been diagnosed.we live in southend.she has been vaccinated but still got it.we are treating her and hope she"ll pull through.she has a horribly swollen nose and a lump on her eye.hope my other rabbit doesnt get it too.

halfpenny
13-08-2009, 07:04 PM
We have myxi in Kintore, Aberdeenshire.

*Spider*
13-08-2009, 07:05 PM
my rescue rabbit buttercup has just been diagnosed.we live in southend.she has been vaccinated but still got it.we are treating her and hope she"ll pull through.she has a horribly swollen nose and a lump on her eye.hope my other rabbit doesnt get it too.

Oh God :shock: You're close to me :shock:
Is it Nodular Myxi?

XMissySJx
13-08-2009, 07:33 PM
myxi is everywhere around here at the moment hetty :(:(

carolynhancox
13-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Oh God :shock: You're close to me :shock:
Is it Nodular Myxi?

yes it is.she seems ok in herself and is still eating loads but her nose looks so sore.poor thing.

honeybunny
15-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Sad to report saw a wildie today at Donnington Services obviously suffering from mxyi:cry:

Also confirmed report of two pet buns with it in Leicester:cry:

MedicatedFluffball
15-08-2009, 04:57 PM
My vet has had 2 cases in the last week, one wild, one pet
It's everywhere around here, about a month ago, we saw 3 wildies with myxi where my OH's dad keeps his horses, which is Chacewater, near Truro, Cornwall :(

Tuckerbunnies
15-08-2009, 05:33 PM

Poor poor rabbit, how sad :cry:

Snowberry
15-08-2009, 05:39 PM
My vet has had 2 cases in the last week, one wild, one pet
It's everywhere around here, about a month ago, we saw 3 wildies with myxi where my OH's dad keeps his horses, which is Chacewater, near Truro, Cornwall :(

This is near where we stay on holiday in our Caravan! You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the country!

Wuezybun
16-08-2009, 08:24 AM
I saw two myxi rabbits on separate occasions at exactly the same spot last week about 1 mile north of Wotton-under-Edge in Gloucestershire.

So difficult to know what to do as both approached my car. It's a slow single track lane so I stopped and they both came towards the drivers side of the car and looked at me in such pain. The first time the rabbit disappeared into the hedge but the second time the rabbit just stood there for ages like he was waiting for me to do something. I had my rabbits in the back of the car as I was taking them to my mums for their holiday so really couldn't pick him up.

On both occasions when I drove back home later there was a dead rabbit on the road so somebody had put them out of their misery :cry:

Does anybody have any experience of picking up myxi rabbits and taking them to the vets even if it's to be PTS? Or maybe it's less stressful to leave them to be run over?

Bugsy4ever
17-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Just got back from holiday in sheldon devon,there were a couple of wild rabbits in the holiday park grounds ,which looked like the photo above.

Angie65
17-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Does anybody have any experience of picking up myxi rabbits and taking them to the vets even if it's to be PTS? Or maybe it's less stressful to leave them to be run over?

Way before I was into rabbits - approx 2004, I hit a rabbit with my car. It was slow & lethargic. I drove 40 miles to an all-night vets, - it was pts cos of myxi. I was charged - but my current vet will treat wildies for free.

lisabunnie
17-08-2009, 12:54 PM
a friends Baby bun has just been confirmed today with Nodular myxi..............The bun is un-vaccinated (only collected from the breeder a few days ago, was booked in for jabs today):cry:

She is in Harlow Essex

willow09
25-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Sadly i have lost my lovely giant french willow and my cute little lilly one of two 6 month old belgum hares to mixyi , still treating rosie lillys sister who is now in her tenth day since the signs and fighting with all her might she was the runt of her litter too when i brought her and she isnt giving up but very poorly ,but still munching and drinking !!!, willow was jabbed , its a strong strain and we are riddled with it in cambridgeshire , every where you look , sadly we back onto grafham water nature reserve and the wildies have it bad now , the biteing flys thrive in this area due to the water!! so advise any one local to grafham or in the huntingdonshire area to keep an eye on your bunny although willow was jabbed it does still give them a much better chance and would advise it straight away . can i also say please bring bunny in as i lernt the flys attack so bad with mixyi and then they suffer fly strike to not the way to go luckly mine didnt but would have if left out side and treated ,
R.I.P WILLOW AND LILLY , ROSIE IS MISSING YOU!!!:(

Rhian33
25-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Sadly i have lost my lovely giant french willow and my cute little lilly one of two 6 month old belgum hares to mixyi , still treating rosie lillys sister who is now in her tenth day since the signs and fighting with all her might she was the runt of her litter too when i brought her and she isnt giving up but very poorly ,but still munching and drinking !!!, willow was jabbed , its a strong strain and we are riddled with it in cambridgeshire , every where you look , sadly we back onto grafham water nature reserve and the wildies have it bad now , the biteing flys thrive in this area due to the water!! so advise any one local to grafham or in the huntingdonshire area to keep an eye on your bunny although willow was jabbed it does still give them a much better chance and would advise it straight away . can i also say please bring bunny in as i lernt the flys attack so bad with mixyi and then they suffer fly strike to not the way to go luckly mine didnt but would have if left out side and treated ,
R.I.P WILLOW AND LILLY , ROSIE IS MISSING YOU!!!:(

Really sorry for your loss but unfortunately you are absolutely spot on. I see wildies in this area with myxi regularly and know of a vaccinated domestic bun that has myxi at the moment here in Cambs.

jewaller
28-08-2009, 08:40 AM
after its discovery in 1896 in imported rabbits in uruguay,a relatively harmless strain spread quickly throughout the wild populations in south america. in australia the virus was first field tested for population control in 1938. a full scale release was performed in 1950. it was devastatingly effective reducing the estimated rabbit population from 600 million down to 100 millionin a period of 2 years..the disease kills 50% of infected rabbits,in an attempt to increase the fatalities,a second virus(rabbit-calicivirus)-was introduced into the rabbit population in 1996....in 1952 dr.paul armand delille used the virus in france,by 1954 90%of the wild rabbits in france were dead..and spread throughout europe..it reached the uk in 1953,.where it was intentionally spread using the dead bodies,by 1955- 95%of rabbits in the uk were dead--today we are seeing rabbits suffering the final stages of the disease and rabbits being shot on sight(mercy killing)/insects-mosquitoes,fleas-carry the disease to ensure its lethal range to other animals..//.this dreadful disease was intentionally spread-by man to kill,and kill it did,but it is now coming full circle,,makes me wonder if we have the potential to evolve as a spiecies,,sincerely james waller:oops:

Carol X
28-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Went to my vets on the 20th August 09 for my rabbits myxi jabs (6 monthly) Was told by my vet that there had been a few cases of myxi in this week.(poor things) Buckingham area.

haffyj
28-08-2009, 11:01 AM
a friends Baby bun has just been confirmed today with Nodular myxi..............The bun is un-vaccinated (only collected from the breeder a few days ago, was booked in for jabs today):cry:

She is in Harlow Essex

Thats up the road from me :shock: mine are due for there jabs in september,

melly
29-08-2009, 12:36 AM
can i just say ty for this thread i have had 2 of my buns done but then ppl said dont worry dont bother with the other 2 they will be fine but after seein it is in lincoln i will ring the vet in the morn for the other 2, and if i keep the new 4 will deffo get them done to

Nicolaj36
29-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Have read alot of this post, but not all of it :oops:

Many outbreaks in Scotland?

Nicola x

melly
29-08-2009, 12:44 AM
can i ask, sorry im fairly new as some of you no, if you have rabbits that are not near others and wot not how do they get it, even though im askin this i will still get my other two done and the new four if i keep then but if i dont i will make sure i tell the new ppl to get them done, so how does it carry

the bunny girl
29-08-2009, 12:52 AM
It is spread by biting insects mosquitoes,fleas

melly
29-08-2009, 12:58 AM
ty for gettin back to me as i say i will ring the vet in the morn, will i be able to take flopsy as she only gave birth a day ago or will i wait a couple of days ?

jewaller
30-08-2009, 05:33 AM
:evil:
Sadly, there are many rabbits which have it in East Anglia :(
r.i.p ♥
I would advise anyone who has a rabbit to have it inoculated, as it is easy and doesnt actually cost that much;)

I have just had mine inoculated and I heard that it was at least two weeks before you can let them out and the thing starts to work properly? is this right?

I think it is so sad what the awful disease does to them, and I am so annoyed that HUMANS! caused this terrible disease:evil: I really, really hope that someone finds a cure which can help to save the poor wild rabbits ♥

60 years of killing//biological warfare against rabbits//,mankind using their own-rabbit- disease against them,,their immune systems started signs of resistance in 1970s,,so a second virus(rabbit calicivirus)was introduced in 1996,--there is a vaccine(atc vet code:Q108AD02(2)-but it is illegal in australlia,..:evil:

cat_c
30-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks Leanne for bringing this to our attention. If anyone has not had their bunnies vaccinated, even though they have never been in contact with wild rabbits or showing any signs, it is impertative that they are vaccinated. Myxo is carried by fleas. The larvae (eggs) can stick to your footware or dog when walking through a park for example and be passed to your rabbit.
It only costs about £15.00 per rabbit. If money is tight then speak to your vet or local S.P.C.A. Sometimes you can get help with costs, but please don't leave it. I have seen many wild rabbits with myxso and it is not nice.

Angie65
09-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Saw some wild buns with myxi at Woolley Edge this week - Junction 38 of M1, West Yorks

Woody
09-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Can i ask does myxi always have lumps? I know it affects the eyes but my poorly girl has bad eyes but skin is peeling away rather than any lumps & no signs of sweeling.
Also vet said he'd never seen anything like the peeling- & surely if it was myxi then he would know?
And can it be carried in hay? I'm sure i've read that somewhere.

~If she pulls through this i promise to get her vaccinated!!:oops:

parsnipbun
09-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Cambridge - several cases at my vets including my Viola Rose (fighting it at present). Also saw someone in my vets who had come down from 'just north of Peterborough' (not sure quite where) whose rabbit had it.

Vets say the wild population around here is rife with it at present.

poppymoon
09-09-2009, 04:24 PM
trysull village, south staffordshire -

several wild rabbits have been found recently - 2 caught by dogs as they were really poorly. i saw one today at the park behind the village hall sitting way too still whilst after school children were very near to it.:(

Luckykohai
26-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Badly infected rabbit seen today at Bishop's Castle Shropshire.

xxkimmixx
27-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Chelmsford- Essex
one of my bunnies was diagnosed with nodular myxi 10days ago despite being vaccinated. quite a lot of wild rabbits have been seen sufferin with myxi in the past few weeks too around here.

parsnipbun
27-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Near Raines in Essex - friends rabbit

Buggerlugs
28-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Wansford, nr Peterborough-saw a wild rabbit trying to run away from a railway worker but it just kept bumping into the tracks and was getting no where
now looks like my Magic has it :cry: (Spalding)

bionicrabbit
30-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Confirmed cases in the wild population whitchurch shropshire. Today on my lawn a sick wild rabbit with massively swollen red eyes which I assume is myxymatosis - I am in prees green whitchurch - unfortunately my two rabbits are also housed on the lawn - I will be getting them to the vets asap for a check over.

lulu33098
30-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Confirmed cases - Wilds - Whipsnade, Kensworth, Studham - Bedfordshire

Very sad walking round whipsnade zoo last week and we saw several wild buns with advance stages. Reported it to staff and they said that all their buns are covered but that they had been picking up buns round the park on a daily basis.

Collielover
30-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Confirmed cases in Falkirk scotland .....was at the vets tonight with jack my 4 month old dwarf lop ..Vet was telling us they have had cases the past week with myx ...glad all mine are vacanated but still worried when found my wee ones testicals swollen this morning he is booked in next week to be neautered but vet thinks its because he had a fight at the weekend with his brother who is now in separte cage just glad I have a great OH who will build a hutch when I need one .....shhh dont tell him I am looking for wifes for my 4 boys now after there all over there ops

the bunny girl
04-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Confirmed cases in Falkirk scotland .....was at the vets tonight with jack my 4 month old dwarf lop ..Vet was telling us they have had cases the past week with myx ...glad all mine are vacanated but still worried when found my wee ones testicals swollen this morning he is booked in next week to be neautered but vet thinks its because he had a fight at the weekend with his brother who is now in separte cage just glad I have a great OH who will build a hutch when I need one .....shhh dont tell him I am looking for wifes for my 4 boys now after there all over there ops

First time i have heard any cases in Scotland thanks for letting us know

teresateddyb
08-10-2009, 11:51 AM
at vets last night getting 2 of my buns jabbed and vet said she has p.t.s 3 rabbits this week with myxi im basildon essex

teresa

caralion
08-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Hi everyone - i'm in kettering my bunny has it and the vet says shes the 4th one this week that he's seen - so watch out terrible disease. !!

Sara0099
10-10-2009, 02:37 AM
My little cutie has a mild case of it. But luckily she's been vaccinated. Vet said my little one is the second case in a few weeks, vet also suggested she and her sister get vaccinated 6 monthly instaed of yearly from now on. We're in the Borehamwood/St.Albans area

rachylou
10-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Hi I am so sorry to hear about all the cases on here.
Just a quick question really, Jimby is an indoor bun and he is vaccinated 6 monthly, due next Jan.
Can indoor vaccinated buns still get mxyo?
Also this is going to sound really stupid but what exactly does myxo do?

Sara0099
11-10-2009, 03:19 AM
Not a stupid question at all! I'll do my best to explain it! Myxomatosis is a disease which affects rabbits. It is caused by the Myxoma virus. First observed in Uruguay in the late 1800s, it was deliberately introduced into Australia in 1950 in an attempt to control rabbit infestation and population. It was introduced illegally to France in 1952 and as a result spread to the rest of Europe. House rabbits living permanently indoors are at less risk than outdoor rabbits, but can and do get myxomatosis. Be careful if you have a dog or cat that hunts wild rabbits, as they could bring rabbit fleas home on their noses! Myxi is usually spread by biting insects (fleas, mosquitoes) carrying the Myxoma virus. The classic form of myxomatosis is seen in rabbits that haven't been vaccinated. It is a dreadful disease that causes immense suffering: affected rabbits can take a fortnight to die and treatment is usually futile, which is why euthanasia is usually recommended. Classic myxomatosis starts with runny eyes and in the very early stages can be confused with other causes of conjunctivitis. However, myxomatosis differs as the genitals are also swollen. It rapidly progresses to a severe conjunctivitis which causes blindness and is accompanied by lumpy (nodular) swellings on the head, plus lumps on the body. Excessive amounts of thick pus discharges from the nose and swollen eyes (which are often sealed shut). There are also two atypical forms of myxomatosis: one causes pneumonia and a snuffles-like illness; the other ("Nodular myxomatosis") mainly affects skin and carries a better prognosis. If a vaccinated rabbit develops myxomatosis, the disease is usually much less severe. The exact pattern of disease seen in vaccinated animals is very variable, and impossible to predict: it depends upon how much immunity the rabbit has. Some rabbits develop just a few odd skin lesions and remain otherwise well (like mine did); others become quite poorly and suffer from swellings and conjunctivitis more like classical myxomatosis. The difference is that vaccination turns a fatal illness into one that is treatable.

rachylou
11-10-2009, 11:17 AM
OMG that is awful, the poor buns!
What a horrible disease! I can not believe it was created by man on purpose!
I am definatly making sure I am well within date with Jims jabs! Can he have it every 5 months or is that too often?

Sara0099
11-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Vets recommened 12 or 6 monthly. Depending on your buns situation. Has Jimby been vaccinated against VHD?

parsnipbun
11-10-2009, 01:56 PM
OMG that is awful, the poor buns!
What a horrible disease! I can not believe it was created by man on purpose!
I am definatly making sure I am well within date with Jims jabs! Can he have it every 5 months or is that too often?

In the present situation (with a frightening high number affected in the eastern areas) i am going to ask my vet if I can have a new jab for the two buns I have who were done 5 months ago.

rachylou
11-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Yep he has been vaccinated against VHD is due March.
Can it be done 2-3 weeks earlier than every 6 months? so that it is active in time so not going 2 weeks without cover.

Sara0099
12-10-2009, 02:47 AM
Can it be done 2-3 weeks earlier than every 6 months? so that it is active in time so not going 2 weeks without cover.

I'm unsure to be honest, double check with your vet. I do know that 2 weeks needs to be left between the Myxi & VHD jabs though

Jack's-Jane
12-10-2009, 06:53 AM

Yes, as long as the Rabbit is healthy and has not had a VHD Vac within the previous 2 weeks.

rachylou
12-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Thats great thank you. I wil.l book him in when he has his check up in November.

purplebumble
14-10-2009, 01:19 AM
:cry: so sorry for all the bunsx

when i was with my mum coming back from the vet hospital in shedfield in hampshire.....the taxi driver braked for me yelling and we saw this poor sick wildie lumbering into the road and sat there. it took one look for me to cry..oh gods it got myxi....poor thing.
we had mums bun in the taxi who had just been released home from the hospital with a nasty dose of stasis. i had bif back home whod had only just had her myxibooster. i had no choice but to leaveit there..knowing another car coming round that end wouldnt be bale to avoid it at that speed.:cry::cry:

i still can see..just like the piccy ealrier...broke my heart and i felt so guilty but i didnt know for sure it woildnt spread to mums bun or my bif..or the taxi driver would take someone lese with a bun.

my daughter says was cruel....was i..oh gods i was wasnt i.

the coutryside area was in between shedfield and wickham area to clanfield in hampshire.

my mum had never seen a bun with it and was upset too. that ..i said...is why we vacinate every 6 months and even then its no guarantee.

myxi created by man..isnt vhd too? :evil::evil:

CRBevis
14-10-2009, 01:28 PM
In was in the news paper the other night that Mxyi is rife on Hayling Island at the moment, they found approx 12 rabbits dead on the golf course all had mxyi:cry:

Leni_09
15-10-2009, 10:54 AM
my bucks have had the myxo jab a few months back, but after reading this board, and seeing my local vet it seems like its quite bad in the lincolnshire area at the moment. My bucks are the first rabbits i've had so is there any other vacines i need to be aware of, that perhaps the vet hasnt mentioned?

Patchrabbit
15-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Myxi and VHD are the big ones that you should have done. My vet never mentioned any others to me.

Glad I got my bun vaccinated as soon as I got her!

spider
16-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Outbreak in Flintshire: http://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/79940/flintshire-pet-owners-on-guard-after-myxomatosis-outbreak.aspx

"PET owners in Flintshire are being warned to be on the alert against an outbreak of a virus that is fatal to rabbits.

Vets have reported record numbers of rabbits being brought in with the deadly myxomatosis virus.

Staff at Daleside Veterinary Surgery, in Shotton, have dealt with 11 cases in the past two weeks, including five in just one day.

Vet Rowena Siddorn says it is uncommon to see more than a dozen cases within a six month period.

“We normally see cases from about August or September through to January or February,” she said.

“We usually see about half a dozen cases during that time, but we have seen a lot more this year than any other year.”

The virus, which can cause blindness, is spread by fleas and mosquitoes and a pet rabbit does not have to come into contact with an infected wild rabbit in order to contract it.

Ms Siddorn added: “Unfortunately it can’t be treated. I have only ever had one rabbit survive in the last 10 to 15 years.

"If an animal has got it then we would advise euthanasia.

“It is a very distressing virus for rabbits, particularly the ones in the wild because they can’t see to eat.

"It is very pitiful because they either starve to death or eaten by predators.”

Ms Siddorn believes the recent warm spell could be the cause of the virus taking hold.

She added: “We have had quite a dry period and it’s been warm for the last month, which might explain why there are more mosquitoes about.”

Symptoms include swelling to the eyelids, nose, inner ear and genitals and the animal may become lethargic and lose its appetite.

Pet owners are now being urged to vaccinate their rabbits against the disease and to use a special flea treatment.

Owners who are concerned are advised to telephone their nearest vet."

bunniemum
16-10-2009, 12:23 PM
My vet mentioned yesterday she had been treating two bunnies, one seems be doing ok, but sadly the other didn't make it. :(

weecab
18-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Can confirm 3 wild bunnies with full blown Myxi in Pilton, Somerset :cry:

youngbunny2
18-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Yateley Hampshire 17.10.09:cry:

poppymoon
21-10-2009, 12:36 PM
himley, south staffordshire and several confirmed cases in the wolverhampton area as confirmed by my vet today:(

becciwales
26-10-2009, 10:28 AM
The vet in P@H Bridgend informed me they had 6 Bunnies PTS last week. :cry: But my vets (also in Bridgend) hasnt had any for a while!!:?

areia
26-10-2009, 09:21 PM
an increase this year in the st marys bay new romney folkestone hythe and dymchurch area according to my vet

4evame
28-10-2009, 05:11 PM
I live Wrexham North Wales and my vet has told me there has been that many cases of mixi that they have been advising people to inject their bunnies every 6 months not every 12. I lost 3 bunnies at the same time to mixi 2 years ago. Heartbreaking.:(:(:(:(

I live in Buckley and just took my rabbit to the vet as he has a runny eye.

Hope he's going to be okay

Kaysbunnies
06-11-2009, 08:47 PM
i havnt seen any but my rabbit just been put down with it-started wed to thurs since week.

between perth and tayside in scotland

please answer my question in the care under big problems

My other bunnies need your help

Kingswood Bunnies
02-12-2009, 08:09 PM
I live in Cambridgeshire - two of my vaccinated bunnies diagnosed with myxi in October 2009. One has thankfully survived but despite our best efforts and ongoing treatment we had to have our beautiful girl pts as she just could not fight it any more. :cry:

Wuezybun
13-12-2009, 11:02 AM
I saw a wild bunnie with myxi yesterday in North Nibley in Gloucestershire

I wanted to stop and take it to the vets but I was worried about spreading the fleas to my bunnies so didn't :cry:

Coineanach
16-12-2009, 06:00 PM
I've seen several wild rabbits with Myxy around the Aberdeen City area over the last year and a half. There seems to be an ongoing problem with it up here, right in the city. There's a green patch outside my house in which I have seen wild rabbits, I wouldn't recommend anyone here to let their rabbits out without vaccinations. Some rabbits seem to cope with it okay but others don't move when you approach and I've taken a few to the vets. :(

kirstyg
15-01-2010, 02:48 PM
my sister's rabbit had myxo injection but died two weeks after having the injection which was about four years ago

Hoppit!
30-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Just seen this thread or I would have posted earlier. I live in South Cornwall, and unfortunately myxi is really rife here at the moment, after nearly 2 years of not seeing a single bun with it. The poor wildies are dropping like flies. Please, please vaccinate your buns guys, even if you live in the town and you think you're buns are safe from it, it's just not worth the risk.

Williamsmummy
31-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Ive seen quite a few wildies in whitchurch, bristol

lauraocal
19-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Wild bunnies in clipstone, mansfield in nottinghamshire. Mixi outbreak :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Rykat
29-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Wild bunnies in Thurstaston/Irby area of The Wirral.

Have contacted local vets and RSPCA

tiger1
14-07-2010, 07:03 AM
july 2010 East harling,Quidenham,Eccles area of norfolk :(:(:(:(

jucky68
24-07-2010, 07:56 AM
I am treating a wildie

Coineanach
27-07-2010, 03:31 AM
I am treating a wildie

Hi there, would you mind telling us where you are? :wave:

JLG
02-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Hi all, I'm new to the forum so not sure if this is the right place to put this but I've just had a message throught the RWA that there is a notification of myxi outbreak in the Sunderland/Northumberland area.
To be honest, there is always myxi around in Northumberland where I live and where I have my horse but I wouldn't want anyone to be unaware of it.
if this is not the right place to post this, pelase can someone make sure it goes to the right place?
Surely everyone gets their buns vaccinated?????

Carole
10-08-2010, 08:50 PM
A work colleague's rabbit had to be put to sleep this week after catching Myxomatosis.

His local Vet said he had seen about 8 cases in the last couple of weeks.

He lives in the Newton Le Willows area of Merseyside.

loulabell
01-09-2010, 05:49 PM
just been to vets this afternoon and vet said she'd seen her first case of myxomatosis this year today, sadly bunny had to be put to sleep. :cry:
this is in clacton on sea essex.

Babsie
07-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Have seen dead wildie in grounds of where I work (nr Winchester, Hampshire). Very red eyes, so assume myxi? If one has got it there, will be dozens of others.

parsnipbun
20-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Cambridge - Hawthorn has myxi :cry::cry:

Fleas
24-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Lost all 5 of mine over the past week to myxi :(

parsnipbun
24-09-2010, 07:07 PM

Thats awful! Where are you? and were they vaccd?

BattleKat
24-09-2010, 07:11 PM
*hug* how terrible. I assume from the fact that's your first post that you hadn't heard of the vaccine before? :(

willowflower27
24-09-2010, 10:29 PM
East lothian has myxi especially dunbar area

bunny babe
24-09-2010, 10:34 PM
A work colleague's rabbit had to be put to sleep this week after catching Myxomatosis.

His local Vet said he had seen about 8 cases in the last couple of weeks.

He lives in the Newton Le Willows area of Merseyside.

:cry: Is that St Helens area?

Rosie Rabbit
27-09-2010, 04:51 PM
I've just received the following RWAF First Alert message -

"Further to the recent alert about the spread of myxi in the county of Kent - There have been two more messages received today that Grays, Pitsea and Benfleet in Essex have seen several outbreaks".

stephb66
29-09-2010, 06:42 PM
I lost one rabbit last week and I am battling with my second to try and keep him alive. The vet knew straight away when I rang that it was likely to be Mixxi as it is apparantly rife in this area. I am in Ashington, Northumberland.

mreeyore
30-09-2010, 10:29 AM
my mum has seen some wild bunnies in the wood near her wix mixi, she live in pocklington, near york,

mimi g
30-09-2010, 10:34 AM
So sad...any news of any reports in Leeds?

I always have my buns vaccinated but out of interest how does it spread from wild rabbits to pet rabbits kept in the garden/house?? xx

GrahamL
30-09-2010, 11:10 AM

I always have my buns vaccinated but out of interest how does it spread from wild rabbits to pet rabbits kept in the garden/house?? xx

Via mosquitos that have bitten infected bunnies that then bit un-infected bunnies, hence infecting them :(

mimi g
30-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Via mosquitos that have bitten infected bunnies that then bit un-infected bunnies, hence infecting them :(

We have mosquitos in this country? Like Midges? Poor buns...x

Rosie Rabbit
30-09-2010, 02:24 PM

Sadly, yes - another RWAF First Alert message came in today:

The help line has received calls from members in The Little Neston area of Cheshire , Hawthorne, Cambs and Harrogate and Leeds in West Yorkshire of more outbreaks of myxomatosis that have been reported this morning.

mimi g
30-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Sadly, yes - another RWAF First Alert message came in today:

The help line has received calls from members in The Little Neston area of Cheshire , Hawthorne, Cambs and Harrogate and Leeds in West Yorkshire of more outbreaks of myxomatosis that have been reported this morning.

:@ ( Not good!!

My buns are vaccinated but they have not long been outdoor buns which worries me more. I never thought about it much when they were in the house. x

biscandmatt1
01-10-2010, 01:47 AM
i asked my vet if he has treated any cases of myxi this year, he said two, one came to whalley range where the vets is, from warrington, and the other was more local i think. he didn't hear back from one owner so thinks the bun passed away. :( the other is still undergoing treatment and care.

Raven Rexs
01-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Braintree Essex Breeder has lost some to Mxyi.
Bedfont Lakes in Bedfont Middx is rife with Mxyi to.

helgalush
08-10-2010, 11:43 AM
I think I have seen a wild bunny with myxi this morning in the Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire area. I was driving so did not get a close look, but it had very swollen eyes :cry:

I have tried to ring the RWA to report it but there is no answer, as they are closed now til Monday.

Tiabrac
08-10-2010, 12:12 PM

Oh that's heartbreaking. Poor poor bun! Hope you are OK after seeing that. :cry:

EllieHelps
16-10-2010, 01:46 PM
I had my bunny put down a few weeks ago with Myxi and my other bunny got it 2 weeks ago, im in Rochester Kent

The Vet said there had been a lot of Myxi this year

hannah.mc
17-10-2010, 10:18 PM
I had my bunny put down a few weeks ago with Myxi and my other bunny got it 2 weeks ago, im in Rochester Kent

The Vet said there had been a lot of Myxi this year

pretty sure my boy has it altho both of mine have been vaccinated. Only developed big skin lesion today so off to vet tomorrow. Little Neston in Cheshire.......

mattlostatsea
19-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Sad day last Sunday, lost our Lovely friendly Dutch to Mixy! We live in Snodland in Kent, our Vet said it had been a very bad month for this!:cry:

BaileyBunn
28-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Rabbits up at Tremough campus in penryn, cornwall confirmed with myxi

*lily*
28-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Rabbits up at Tremough campus in penryn, cornwall confirmed with myxi

Blimey, how sad, my son is at the Tremough campus but he's never mentioned the rabbits :(

deanne
02-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Have just lost my 2 bunnies to this awful disease in Widnes Cheshire.
One of our local vets claim their is no epidemic, yet in some local papers there are people saying otherwise.
Ive written and complained to the vet...no reply to date :roll:
I would like to get 2 more bunnies but have been told to wait at least 12 months in case the virus is still in my garden?
Can anyone advise me please.
Thx Dee

chelle
02-11-2010, 10:39 PM
:cry::cry::cry::cry: So sorry for your loss....

Hopefully someone with myxi experience will be able to advise about the time scale...

so sorry...xx

The Duchess
02-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Have just lost my 2 bunnies to this awful disease in Widnes Cheshire.
One of our local vets claim their is no epidemic, yet in some local papers there are people saying otherwise.
Ive written and complained to the vet...no reply to date :roll:
I would like to get 2 more bunnies but have been told to wait at least 12 months in case the virus is still in my garden?
Can anyone advise me please.
Thx Dee

I'm am sorry that the bunnies have passed away.

Were your buns vaccinated against Myxo? If they were did you and your vet manage to treat them at all or was it just too bad an outbreak?

I don't think that there has to be an 'epidemic' for rabbits to die; it's seen all year round locally to me (our wild rabbit population has had it for years) but to date I have heard very few stories of buns that are vaccinated dying from the disease, but have heard of some having nodular and treatable symptoms. Some vets who see vaccinated rabbits with myxo may well recommend PTS if they don't think that the rabbit is likely to do well.

I am not sure about 12 months without rabbits - that does seem quite a long time. Myxo is spread in various ways, predominently by biting insects, so even if you did wait 12 months and your buns are vaccinated, they would still be at some minor risk from the disease if there is even one rabbit locally who has it if flies/fleas happen to spread it.

There are a number of members on here who are currently or have recently treated Myxo buns so hopefully one of them will be able to give you more specific advice.

deanne
02-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Many thanks for the fast replies. Sadly,neither my bunnies were vaccinated.
Splodge was rescued from RSPCA 3 years ago and Gizzy was bought from a pet shop 2 years ago.
I wasnt informed about the vaccine until it was too late.
Now sadder but wiser.
Still have 2 cats and 3 guinea pigs :)
Hoping to get 2 more bunnies as soon as its safe :D
Thx again, Dee

The Duchess
02-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Many thanks for the fast replies. Sadly,neither my bunnies were vaccinated.
Splodge was rescued from RSPCA 3 years ago and Gizzy was bought from a pet shop 2 years ago.
I wasnt informed about the vaccine until it was too late.
Now sadder but wiser.
Still have 2 cats and 3 guinea pigs :)
Hoping to get 2 more bunnies as soon as its safe :D
Thx again, Dee

Hi Dee.

I am sorry about your bunnies.

I am surprised that the RSPCA didn't tell you about Myxo when you adopted; when I rehome buns I make it a condition of adoption that the new home keeps up both VHD and Myxomatosis vaccines.

When you are ready for some more buns. I'm sure you will be able to find a good vet in your area that is up to date on current thinking on rabbit care/health precutions - quite a number of RU members are in Cheshire so could point you in the right direction.

Helen

deanne
02-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Hi Dee.

I am sorry about your bunnies.

When you are ready for some more buns. I'm sure you will be able to find a good vet in your area that is up to date on current thinking on rabbit care/health precutions - quite a number of RU members are in Cheshire so could point you in the right direction.

Helen

many thanks for that :bunny:

deanne
03-11-2010, 08:53 PM
:censored:http://www.runcornandwidnesweeklynews.co.uk/runcorn-widnes-news/runcorn-widnes-local-news/2010/10/21/widnes-vets-play-down-myxomatosis-outbreak-fear-55368-27511495/

How can a vet "play down" such an awful disease

Amy104
05-11-2010, 03:57 PM
My Vet in Nailsea, Bristol had the first case of myxi they have seen in several years. The vet advised it has brought it home to him and he is now advising 6 monthly vaccines - seems I was one of his few clients that does 6 month vaccs.

GrahamL
05-11-2010, 03:58 PM
My Vet in Nailsea, Bristol had the first case of myxi they have seen in several years. The vet advised it has brought it home to him and he is now advising 6 monthly vaccines - seems I was one of his few clients that does 6 month vaccs.

:( thats not far from here! Glad both of mine are up to date!

Amy104
05-11-2010, 04:03 PM
thats not far from here! Glad both of mine are up to date!

I'm glad the two new bunnies were well enough for their vaccs otherwise I would be freaking out.

I did wonder why I didn't get reminders from my vet re boosters but I guess thats because I vaccinate every six months snd up till now they've only insisted on yearly. Vet was a bit upset as he's not seen it in years so he was a bit surprised.

Double Trouble
11-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Hi!

Wiral has had an outbreak of Myxomatosis and it is close to were we live!!!!

It was reported at the begining of Janurary!

All replies welcome

Me and my sister. :?:

mousetarget
28-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Report of Myxi in local population in Longstanton Cambridge.

MichG
02-02-2011, 09:49 PM
I know there were confirmed cases in Norfolk in around November time as 2 of my friends had buns that were affected, thank goodness all were vaccinated so survived.

missFloppyears
05-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Hi!

Wiral has had an outbreak of Myxomatosis and it is close to were we live!!!!

It was reported at the begining of Janurary!

All replies welcome

Me and my sister. :?:

oh bum cakes not good not far from me either :/

Jenniec19
09-02-2011, 07:15 PM

I grew up in Nailsea! Which vets has seen cases of myxi?
:p

LoopyLouie
04-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Myxomatosis in West Yorkshire, just seen an infected wildie :(

louiseb1000
02-04-2011, 01:33 PM
told by vet today in andover hampshire/wiltshire mixi outbreak

Jack's-Jane
02-04-2011, 01:37 PM
told by vet today in andover hampshire/wiltshire mixi outbreak

:cry:

chloemurray
02-04-2011, 01:49 PM

Oh god mine really need their boosters done:(

Hoppit!
18-04-2011, 08:50 PM
I haven't noticed any myxi buns here yet, but I found one the other day (near Truro in Cornwall). It was definately Myxi.

Rach&Phoebe
21-04-2011, 05:32 PM
We found a wild bun in the garden with myxi right at the beginning of March :( Took her to lincvet and they put her down for me free of charge, vet said it was the first case of the year she had seen. We live just outside Lincoln in North Scarle.

karendorman13
01-05-2011, 03:50 PM
would it be ok to get my bunny vaccine done a couple of weeks early as we are moving soon to a semi rural location and i want him to have built up a good immunity as he is not due his booster till the beginning of June and i have read about outbreaks in the merseyside area

Jack's-Jane
01-05-2011, 03:51 PM
would it be ok to get my bunny vaccine done a couple of weeks early as we are moving soon to a semi rural location and i want him to have built up a good immunity as he is not due his booster till the beginning of June and i have read about outbreaks in the merseyside area

Yes :)

karendorman13
01-05-2011, 04:00 PM
thank you he is getting booked in for the 18th of May when my usual vet comes back :)

ankyferdi
03-05-2011, 11:50 PM
I've seen a couple of wildies with myxi recently in the Charnwood (North West Leicestershire region)

scarlett
04-05-2011, 12:01 AM
My daughters boyfriend saw one( a wildie ) where he works near manchester airport:cry:

Amy104
06-05-2011, 08:32 AM
I grew up in Nailsea! Which vets has seen cases of myxi?

Sorry just seen this. :oops: It was David at Golden Valley Vets.

shay
10-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Myxi outbreak in Lound, near Great Yarmouth / Lowestoft border. Wildie bun seen yesterday, early stages.

Ambience
14-06-2011, 10:32 PM
West yorkshire- Leeds/Bradford- my neighbour has seen alot of mixi rabbits where we are and also i saw a dead one at the end of the road :(

Hoppit!
28-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Major Myxi outbreak down here in South Cornwall. :( Please, please vaccinate your babies guys.

GrahamL
28-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Major Myxi outbreak down here in South Cornwall. :( Please, please vaccinate your babies guys.

Hope it doesnt come up as far as Somerset.

Joanne Jenkinson
11-07-2011, 06:47 PM
I had a myxi wild rabbit on my drive yesterday, confirmed by vet today. Lots of dead rabbits in the field at back of our estate. I live in Bromsgrove in worcestershire.

*lily*
22-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Several rabbits with Myxomatosis at Aston Wood golf course in Sutton Coldfield :(

RosRWAF
27-07-2011, 05:47 PM
A member has reported that there are a number of wild rabbits in the Leybourne area of Kent showing signs of myxomatosis.

No doubt our members are very much aware of the dangers of this dreadful disease, and the need to vaccinate on a six monthly basis. However , each month new rabbit owners join the association and the first alert service, so we would like to advise them to ensure that their bunnies vaccinations are up to date. The annual vaccination for Viral Haemorrhagic disease is just as important.

I post these Alerts to several other Yahoo groups and about 20 forums to ensure the warnings are spread as far as possible.

A member of one of the forums PMd me with this message just a few minutes ago.

>>Just had a message on Twitter to say there is also more - Between Ashford and Folkestone, Kent Junction 10-12 on M20, also on A20 same area<<

Elena
28-07-2011, 12:18 AM
:( Wonder how long until it reaches our part of Kent. Lots of wildies round near Brands :(

funnybunnyabc
28-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Dad said there's been lots of wildies with myxi at Caldwell Golf Club in Renfrewshire. :(

Rabbit123
28-07-2011, 06:50 PM
:shock:
Has there been any outbrecks in manchester or near manchester??

Living_a_lie
30-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Think it might be in Milton Keynes

Hucklebunny
10-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Hi i am in Blackpool, i have lost one of my buns to myxi this week, pts confirmed 6 days into illness. She was over due her jabs.... i will have to live with this now, and i am absolutely devastated. PLEASE VACCINATE YOUR RABBITS!!!!

R.I.P Fiver!

We love you very much, hope your playing with all the buns at rainbow bridge!

XXXXXXXXXXXX

sammichann
15-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Seen several wild buns with myxi on our road this week in St Briavels (Forest of Dean, Glos), although early stages.

Also a friend has told me she's seen a few down the road in Symonds Yat as well.

jomaxbear
15-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Basically it appears to be nationwide, yet again!!!

Its rife here in Cheshire too

Ozzy'sMummy
15-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire
Tamworth, Staffordshire
Rugby, Warwickshire
Nuneaton, Warwickshire

xx

BB Mommy
15-08-2011, 07:04 PM
We had one bought to the rescue two weeks ago with myxo:cry:

Redditch, Worcs

*lily*
15-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Tamworth, Staffordshire
Rugby, Warwickshire
Nuneaton, Warwickshire

xx

Hubby saw another baby with Myxo at the golf club last week, Aston Wood, Sutton Coldfield.

FarplaceRescue
15-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Myxi in Weardale, Co Durham, and parts of Cumbria..... Saw a near-dead wildie today on my way to vets. I would have normally stopped and caught it, asking vet to PTS, but I had a car-full of bunnies, including one that hasnt yet had her myxi vacc. bunny had been hit and killed by a car on return journey. probably a blessing.

medge
24-08-2011, 12:37 AM
There is myxomatosis in Bodicote, Banbury, Oxfordshire. I know this as my three domestic rabbits have it despite being vaccinated against it. They are in week two & surviving so far with medical support.

nataliepb
09-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Peanut (vaccinated) is hanging on in there. It looks like he has modular myxi, he doesnt have runny eyes or nose and is happily eating lots. I think he's missing his lady friend pixie too. It looks like the first lumps on his nose are starting to scab over, which I think might be a good sign. I hate this horrible disease. It's so distressing. It's so humid and warm today, there are mosquitos everywhere which is strange for mid-October. Be strong peanut.

Raven Rexs
10-10-2011, 12:05 AM
Breeders have had Myxi cases in Thamesmead, Basildon, Leyton and Sheerness this week.:(

sierra*323
10-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Wild rabbits in Oxfordshire with myxi :(

Tracy
10-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Myxi also in north Notts. My vets have had two cases in, both buns were unvaccinated.

DemiS
10-10-2011, 05:55 PM
How awful :( Could we set up a map or something with the outbreaks pinpointed on? I'd do it but I'm terrible with google maps

ETA: I've worked out how to do it, will set one up this week unless someone else wants to? It could help us see patterns in outbreaks too

Tracy
10-10-2011, 06:04 PM
How awful :( Could we set up a map or something with the outbreaks pinpointed on? I'd do it but I'm terrible with google maps

ETA: I've worked out how to do it, will set one up this week unless someone else wants to? It could help us see patterns in outbreaks too

That's a great idea. :wave:

sierra*323
10-10-2011, 06:59 PM

Brilliant idea :)

DemiS
10-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Don't give me the credit I'm pretty sure it was someone else mentioned it a while ago but never got round to it :lol: Will look in to it now :)

DemiS
10-10-2011, 09:37 PM
How many months should I start from? (Outbreaks reported from less than 3 months ago for example)

DemiS
10-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Ok the public should be free to edit - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202857776505874808290.0004aef79e9a03aff19f 0&msa=0&ll=54.622978,-1.186523&spn=10.46765,28.256836

Use the blue bubble thing on the map to add location, and please can you write the place name in the title so I know which are proper 'markers' and which have accidently been put somewhere

I've added most from this page but a few I haven't been able to find

sierra*323
10-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Ok the public should be free to edit - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202857776505874808290.0004aef79e9a03aff19f 0&msa=0&ll=54.622978,-1.186523&spn=10.46765,28.256836

Use the blue bubble thing on the map to add location, and please can you write the place name in the title so I know which are proper 'markers' and which have accidently been put somewhere

I've added most from this page but a few I haven't been able to find

Looks good, although a bit depressing! The wild ones in Oxfordshire were more specifically seen in Grendon Underwood, near Aylesbury, if that's more helpful.

DemiS
10-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Looks good, although a bit depressing! The wild ones in Oxfordshire were more specifically seen in Grendon Underwood, near Aylesbury, if that's more helpful.

I'll move it about tommorow :)

Can anyone else edit the map? It was set to public viewing and editing?

I know it's depressing but let's hope the public see and are encouraged to vaccinate. I'm also interested in looking at patterns, if it seems to be reported randomly through the country or starts off in one area and expands

sierra*323
10-10-2011, 10:32 PM

I know it's depressing but let's hope the public see and are encouraged to vaccinate. I'm also interested in looking at patterns, if it seems to be reported randomly through the country or starts off in one area and expands

I couldn't edit it, but I've never used google maps before... :oops:

Elena
10-10-2011, 10:36 PM

It says only collaborators can edit it. Once it's going a bit I will twitter it, try and get the word out.

KarenM
10-10-2011, 10:43 PM
I didn't try to edit but I managed to move one of the markers by mistake when I was zooming in and dragging the map across; I didn't expect them to be movable. :oops::oops: I think I've put it back in the right place but you might want to check - it was the Beverley one. Sowwy! :oops:

*Spider*
10-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Where can I find this map?

DemiS
10-10-2011, 10:46 PM
I didn't try to edit but I managed to move one of the markers by mistake when I was zooming in and dragging the map across; I didn't expect them to be movable. :oops::oops: I think I've put it back in the right place but you might want to check - it was the Beverley one. Sowwy! :oops:

Oh dear, so people can move them but not add new ones, I'll have to work on it when I've finished my masses of homework :lol:

DemiS
10-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Where can I find this map?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202857776505874808290.0004aef79e9a03aff19f 0&msa=0&ll=54.622978,-1.186523&spn=10.46765,28.256836

(It's taking a few minutes to show the markers at the moment)

KarenM
10-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Oh dear, so people can move them but not add new ones, I'll have to work on it when I've finished my masses of homework :lol:

I'm not looking at the map again in case I do something else stoopid. :lol::lol:

Elena
10-10-2011, 10:58 PM
It won't let me move them!! :lol:

Oh wait, it just did :oops:

Elena
10-10-2011, 11:00 PM
:lol: Karen did you move one into the sea? :lol::lol::lol:

KarenM
11-10-2011, 08:04 AM
:lol: Karen did you move one into the sea? :lol::lol::lol:

I did :oops::lol: but I managed to find which marker it was from the list on the left and put it back in roughly the right place. I just looked and there's a marker in the sea again - was that one you? :shock::lol:

Elena
11-10-2011, 08:08 AM
I did :oops::lol: but I managed to find which marker it was from the list on the left and put it back in roughly the right place. I just looked and there's a marker in the sea again - was that one you? :shock::lol:

Nooooooooooo, that wasnt me. :lol: i moved one a tiny distance and then pressed undo to put it back.

luvabun
11-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Definite sightings of rabbits with myxi in Bagshot. The wild rabbit population has all but dissappeared :cry:

aalur
11-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Saw a wild rabbit with myxi in Findon, just outside worthing, west Sussex

KarenM
11-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Nooooooooooo, that wasnt me. :lol: i moved one a tiny distance and then pressed undo to put it back.

Aaaah. :lol: I tried the undo but I must have originally moved it in 2 stages as it just moved the marker to a different spot in the sea. :oops:

BorisnHannibal
11-10-2011, 11:00 AM
A friend in Galashiels says both his pet bunnies have been diagnosed with myxi :(

nataliepb
11-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Peanut is now looking really bad. I thought he would have some immunity as he is vaccinated. Seems like the vaccinations are a waste of time??? What shall I do? He's still eating, but not moving around much now. The question is, how long do I let him go on for. If he wasnt vaccinated I would have have him peacefully put to sleep and not let him suffer. But he is vaccinated, so why is he getting worse?
Its very upsetting.

GrahamL
11-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Peanut is now looking really bad. I thought he would have some immunity as he is vaccinated. Seems like the vaccinations are a waste of time??? What shall I do? He's still eating, but not moving around much now. The question is, how long do I let him go on for. If he wasnt vaccinated I would have have him peacefully put to sleep and not let him suffer. But he is vaccinated, so why is he getting worse?
Its very upsetting.

Can i suggest you make a thread in 'health' to ask for additional help.

Unfortunately, not many people will necessarily see this.
I assume you've been to see a vet etc, so put all information in the thread you create in 'Health'.

RosRWAF
11-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Its very upsetting.

It's not impossible to nurse rabbits through Myxi, but you very much need the support of your vet.

Here's the story of one rabbit's successful fight against the disease http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/pdfs/Malcolm'sdiary-updatedSummer2011.pdf

JayUK
12-10-2011, 09:02 AM
I was speaking to an expert about this last night, who said that there has been a huge influx of insects from the continent over the past 2 weeks, carried by the heatwave. They believe it is possible that some have carried a new variant strain. Just a theory, but one that makes sense, esp. as this has all happened so rapidly, after the hot weather.

parsnipbun
12-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Can EVERYONE who posts here who has a bun that has been vaccinated and has now got myxi PLEASE check that your vet reported the case to the vaccine makers please?

There is a huge problem this year with vaccinated buns getting the disease and the manufacturers of the vaccine need to know this to try and do something about it and make the vaccines more reliable- but they rely on the vets telling them about cases.

PLEASE check with your vet that your cases were reported.

Greenleaf Animal Rescue
12-10-2011, 11:43 AM
There were three in Wakefield that were pts because of mixi - fully vaccinated bunnies. This is from someone who wanted to foster for us. The fourth survived.

parsnipbun
12-10-2011, 12:10 PM
can you prompt them to make sure the vet informed the vaccine company? I know it seems like a lot of 'bother' but it is SO important if we are to get any better vaccine cover researched and implemented.

Sparkhall
12-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi all

My buns are regularly vaccinated every six months and I am saddened to report that both have contracted Myxi. They are not in contact with wild rabbits and we do not have any 'standing' water around to attract mozzies, so I am a bit perplexed. They were vaccinated in mid August.

Late September I noticed Mavis had a lesion on her nose. I took her to the vet who had not seen anything like this, she removed the scab and applied some anti-biotic solution. I searched the symptom on the web and found that it could be Atypical Myxomatosis and told her the next time I saw the vet. She said that it wasn't the case and she had seen Myxi before in other rabbits and this was not one of the symptoms. I spoke with Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund and they kindly sent me a diary that someone had kept of Atypical, and this described it perfectly.

Three days later I noticed a swelling on Marjorie's right eye - again I took her back to the vet - she was still convinced it was not Myxi as there was no discharge - she said it looked like some kind of 'stye'. She gave me some anti-biotic eye-cream.

During the next few days the swelling got worse and a lesion formed on her eye-lid - yesterday I took her again to the vet with my suspicions and she finally agreed and said it was a form of Myxi - by this time Marjorie had developed lumps all over her body, lesions on the back of her ears and genitalia (ouch!). She was quite well in herself though and eating. The vet showed me her book which advised that this is called 'lumpy bunny syndrome'. The vet also discovered that Mavis has an ulcer on her cornea and advised me to treat this with the anti-biotic eye-cream. Prognosis is good though as they have been regularly vaccinated.

I have had to bring the buns inside for the next few weeks - the Myxamo virus survives below 22 degrees - keeping them warm (not too warm) is the key to getting rid of this nasty virus. I also have to wait until all the lumps on Marjorie's body have turned to lesions. I was given some anti-biotics to treat any secondary infection and some solution to apply to the lesions so they don't get infected.

It is day two today of the treatment - buns are fine. They are eating, playing, drinking and pooing. To be honest and matter of factly, if I had not had them vaccinated, they would be dead by now.

I will let the vet know to contact the makers of this vaccine. I am in North Suffolk and I have seen loads and loads of wild buns with Myxi around.

Will let you know how the treatment goes.

AlternativeUserName
13-10-2011, 07:29 PM
For anyone who didn't see this article - here it is:
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/blondie-x-/snapshot.png

Excuse my terrible nail polish :oops:

halfpenny
16-10-2011, 02:51 PM
There are wild rabbits with Myxo in Kintore, Aberdeenshire.

RosRWAF
21-10-2011, 06:59 PM
As you know, in the last few weeks, the RWAF has received many reports from members of the public who are seeing more and more wild rabbits suffering from myxi. First alert messages are continually being sent out from the RWAF It is widespread, not confined to any area. We are always aware that myxi is not going to go away, myxi is rife and if we have a wet period followed by heat, then mosquitoes are going to breed . Biting insects are the main carriers of the virus. However, during the last few weeks, there have been more reports coming in to advise that domestic rabbits are suffering. Forums are suggesting that there is a new strain. After consultation with our Veterinary Expert Advisor Richard Saunders, Richard has issued the following statement

"I honestly do not know if there is a new strain, but they do vary massively in virulence.

At the moment it is unclear why myxomatosis is proving more virulent than usual in vaccinated rabbits. The disease is more virulent, and rabbits are more susceptible, in colder weather. Alternatively, there may be strains of greater than usual virulence or which are less protected against by the vaccine. We would suggest combining vaccination with good protection against biting insects and fleas, and not letting vaccination lapse at the end of the summer. Please report any apparent vaccine ineffectiveness via your vet."

Richard Saunders

fruitandnutcake
22-10-2011, 08:43 AM
There are pet rabbits contracting myxi in the Sandwich area, though I am not sure whether they were vaccinated or not. I was in my vets with 3 of my buns when someone came in with a bun whose partner was confirmed myxi. The rabbit being brought in was in to have a myxi jab but not showing any signs of having the disease already. I was panicking a bit as it has been nearly 8 months since mine were vaccinated for myxi and was worried it might be spread through the air. Luckily mine are all indoors, and have been for a couple of weeks now, so hopefully low risk.

MissKitty
03-11-2011, 02:08 AM
Hi, does anybody know if there are confirmed cases of wild buns with myxi near ellesmere port in cheshire, or around liverpool (knowsley end)?

I didn't realise it could be passed via hay! Is there any way to effectively "treat" hay to be sure it is safe?! We use a horse bale every 2 weeks with our buns, it'd be infeasable for us to buy pre-packed rabbit hay bags with the amount we go through, and they must have some method of treating those to make them safe? I'm really worried now, the bales are this seasons fresh cut hay, the fact we've never had a probem with it before doesn't nessecerily mean they don't get myxi rabbits in their fields - we may have just been lucky to not have an infected bale?!

Besides fine screens over all mesh, and hopefully sorting out the hay situation, are there any other precautions that can be implemented to avoid rabbits being exposed to myxi to begin with? There are so many vaccinated rabbits contracting it! :(

Thanks for any help
Becky, Bernie & the buns.

RosRWAF
03-11-2011, 02:31 AM
You could try steaming each day's hay before giving it to your rabbits. The heat of the steam would kill any mites or fleas that might be in it.

You need a steamer with high pressure to penetrate the hay fully, and only treat what you'll use for that day, then discard what's been left uneaten by the next day.

MissKitty
03-11-2011, 03:07 AM
You could try steaming each day's hay before giving it to your rabbits. The heat of the steam would kill any mites or fleas that might be in it.

You need a steamer with high pressure to penetrate the hay fully, and only treat what you'll use for that day, then discard what's been left uneaten by the next day.

Thank you so much for the suggestion! Is the risk with hay only from mites & fleas? Is there any risk from urine etc in the field from infected wild rabbits, before it was cut & stored?
Can you think of any way to treat much more hay at once? What temperatures are needed to make it safe?

Sorry for the questions & thank you for your help.

RosRWAF
03-11-2011, 09:38 AM
I'll try to find out more for you.

RosRWAF
03-11-2011, 02:47 PM
We have asked our Veterinary Expert Advisor Richard Saunders for advice on this. He says that you have less to worry about from mites (which may be in the hay) than from biting insects and fleas. The other route of infection is from direct inhallation of respiratory secretions from an infected rabbit.

Richard thinks that the risk from hay is very small but that if you're very worried, then a product such as Readigrass would be a good option.

Vegan_Bunny
03-11-2011, 03:20 PM
I think steaming hay is being a little paranoid. I buy bails of hay which I store in my garage and I've never had a thought about transferring myxi to my buns via hay.
No vaccine is 100% guaranteed and myxi seems to be destroying wild populations of rabbits everywhere. I used to see 5-10 wildies on my drive to my friends house (I go there practically every day) and I now see none. There's not even any bunnies being killed on the roads. There was a huge warren which spread over about 2 miles (maybe more) so must have been hundreds of rabbits in the area. It seems all the wildies have been killed by something. Just before they disappeared I nearly hit a bunny which was showing severe signs of myxi and was wandering about in the middle of the road due to it's eyes being totally glued shut with mucus. That was the third one I'd seen in that state and that rabbit was the last one I had seen in the area. Clearly this strain of myxi must be worse as it has wiped out a whole warren. I've seen myxi severely reduce numbers but never have I seen it completely decimate such a large population like this.
If myxi is as widespread and prolific as it seems then I fear there is nothing really anybody can do apart from vaccinate there buns regularly and cross your fingers. Even taking every precaution may not help.

MissKitty
07-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Thank you for your replies, it makes me feel somewhat less worried about the hay. I got so worried & paranoid because with the amount of bunnies we care for, there is no way I could cope with the amount of care they'd need if they caught it via the hay, it would be an enourmous task every day.

We use a horse bale every 2 weeks, one of the large ones that only just fits into the boot of a good sized car, so unfortunately it'd be extremely expensive to buy the equivalent in Readigrass or another prepacked hay. I am slightly less worried, I've never known their hay to have mites, and the hay that has been stored for weeks would surely lead to dead mites anyway?

Thank you again for your replies, and thank you RosRWAF for getting the information from the vet.

Becky

RosRWAF
07-11-2011, 05:13 PM
The heat of the fermentation during hay making would kill off any mites that were in the grass at cutting.

vickiemily
18-11-2011, 12:31 AM
i have heard from one of my "friends" on facebook that there has been a bad outbreak in a wild rabbit population in the Sevenoaks area of Kent :(:cry:

RosRWAF
20-11-2011, 01:37 AM
This email was sent to our HQ on 19/11/11

Dear Rabbit Welfare,
I wanted to inform you that I had a rabbit boarding at my facility in Southampton go down with Myxomatosis.
The rabbit came from Lyndhurst near the New Forest and was an outdoor rabbit.
I took the rabbit to Pet Vet in Thornhill Southampton as I noticed a lump on his nose and he was diagnosed with myxi.
The rabbit was vaccinated (I only board vaccinated rabbits) and was given antibiotics to prevent any secondary infections.
The rabbit was eating well and did'nt show any signs of being poorly apart from the lump on his nose.
The owner and I have kept in touch and the rabbit is doing well apart from some loss of skin on his nose.
I had other rabbits boarding here including my own, but no other rabbit has come down with the virus. (again kept in touch with owners)
I made the decision to close for two weeks and have steam cleaned my Boarding facility from top to bottom with a cleaning solution reccomended by ministry of agriculture. And took advise from my vet.
It does seem that the poor rabbit was probably infected before he came but obviously no one can be certain.
I am up and running now and I have had terrific support from my boarding owners who have said they have been reassured by my vigilence and honesty. I have also been taking bookings from those owners!
The welfare of the rabbits in my care is my first priority and any losses I made disposing of equipment and boarders are erelevent.
I am up and running now and although confident in the fact that I have done all I can to protect my boarding bunnies it remains a worry for me.
I am so thankful that I insist on vaccinated rabbits as it could have been a lot worse.
Keep reminding people how important vaccination is and to check their bunnies for flea's.
My kindest Regards

Melanie (www.rabbitboardingatlucycottages.co.uk)

Tombo
23-11-2011, 09:06 PM
I have a rabbit with myxi at the moment. I live in Bury St Edmunds Suffolk and she contracted it last Saturday. I have two buns, the first one came down with nodular myxi the weekend before, both have been given inoculation. The first one pulled through with little fuss but the other is really ill and has today gone off her food. I am worried sick and want to keep her eating any ideas please.

Thanks

Kerry

Jack's-Jane
23-11-2011, 10:09 PM
I have a rabbit with myxi at the moment. I live in Bury St Edmunds Suffolk and she contracted it last Saturday. I have two buns, the first one came down with nodular myxi the weekend before, both have been given inoculation. The first one pulled through with little fuss but the other is really ill and has today gone off her food. I am worried sick and want to keep her eating any ideas please.

Thanks

Kerry

I suggest you start a new thread seeking advice

Is the Rabbit on treatment- antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, topical eye treatment ?

When was she last examined by a Vet ?

louiseb1000
24-11-2011, 06:26 AM
myxi out breaks and quite a few from what i can gather !!!

cherylfox07
20-12-2011, 10:03 AM
It has been really bad in norfolk the last few months, seems to be slowing now the cold has arrived !!

Leanne
29-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Thank you for updating these threads for outbreaks.

I haven't seen any in my area this year, yet the last 3 or 4 years it has been pretty rife with it. Fingers crossed it will stay this way for a while longer.

I will start new threads for 2012 next week.

Noodle
30-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Wild rabbit found today, confirmed Myxomatosis by a vet in Todmorden/Hebden Bridge area.

ebony-the-great!
19-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Tamworth, Staffordshire
Rugby, Warwickshire
Nuneaton, Warwickshire

xx

Im in tamworth and lost 2 of mine last week to myxi :(

lucy24
19-10-2012, 03:40 PM
:( im sorry- hate this disease! im so paranoid about my bunnies getting it but at least i dont get wildies too nearby