• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Star is in for her spray today ... another update 6.20pm

happypreso

Alpha Buck
I told the vet re the mix up over the weekend and they said that was fine - as it was so early (if she was pregnant) so I have left her at the vet. I have to ring between 1 - 2 to check (if they dont ring me first) and then see what time I can pick her up. Fingers crossed that all is/will go okay ... Bugs is missing her already x x

Just spoken to the vets, she is awake and seems fine :) I am allowed to pick her up at 5pm so it gives them a chance to see her eating and if more pain relief is needed etc. I asked re the pregnancy and they said her ovaries were 'enlarged' which is a sign that she could well have been pregnant.

2 rabbits sorted now, 2 more to go x x

Update: been checking on her throughout the night and it doesn't seem like she has eaten anything. She seems okay in herself (looking a bit sorry for herself but that is to be expected?) but when do I worry re the not eating? The vet said that she did eat yesterday after the op. She has an appointment later at the vet today (for a check up) would that be okay or should I ring them sooner?

Update: 28/04/09 12.26pm phew! feeling a bit better, just spent ages outside with Star trying to temp her with all sorts! Finally curly kale has done the trick! She still hasn't eaten loads but I have seen her eat something and drink some water (i put a bowl in right next to her). There is a few more poo's in the hutch but I can see any 'damp' patches?

Update 28/04/09 6.20pm Just got back from the vets and all is looking good! They said she is looking really bright, there was poo in the carrier and the guts felt good. They gave her pain releif and the 'gut moving' jab and I have to go back tomorrow if she doesn't eat 'normal' tomorrow .....

Last edited:
anyone got any advise please? I know you all have you fair share of problems too but I am worried about Star x

Is she pooing? Is she grinding her teeth at all, or can you hear gurgling sounds in her stomach?

Not having the best appetite after a spay is fairly normal for the first night or so, but definitely keep an eye out. Try tempting her with her favorite veggies and treats and see if she'll take a nibble.

Also make sure that she is still drinking water, as hydration is really important to maintain.

For some reason most buns don't fancy their normal food hay, pellets etc I managed to tempt Daisy with Basil leaves and Parsley I was constantly waving them under her nose! Some people swear by dandelion leaves! I also put a shallow water bowl very close to her and frequently put it right under her nose to get her to drink! Is she warm enough I used vet bed and a snugglesafe and I kept my heating on! It took about 3 days for Daisys appetite to return properly but she was eating loads of herbs. Did your vet give you some extra painkiller to give her? I think that made a huge difference I split the dose half in the morning the other half in the evening and each time Daisy picked up and ate! If she hasn't eaten by this morning I might give the vet a call, if they cant see her earlier and if she hasn't got any metacam painkiller Id ask if I could pick some up! I hope she feels better and starts eating soon!

Is she pooing? Is she grinding her teeth at all, or can you hear gurgling sounds in her stomach?

Not having the best appetite after a spay is fairly normal for the first night or so, but definitely keep an eye out. Try tempting her with her favorite veggies and treats and see if she'll take a nibble.

Also make sure that she is still drinking water, as hydration is really important to maintain.

I can only see one or two poo's in the hutch (which was cleaned out before Star went in) so def not 'normal' pooing. I can't hear her grinding her teeth or any other strange noises ... like I say she does seem kind of okay (just sitting around) but alert - ear are listening and if you go into the hutch, she will put her head forward for a little stroke. She has moved too - last night she was in the 'open' bit, this morning she is in the 'enclosed' bit. She has a fleece blanket and the hutch has been covered so she should be warm enough.
I have removed the food from last night and put in some fresh greens, cue, cauli & broc - all the things that normal wouldn't last a mo! But nothing has been nibbled at yet. I will get some herbs I think as normally she loves those too ... she has her normal drinking bottle but I will add a bowl by her side too.

For some reason most buns don't fancy their normal food hay, pellets etc I managed to tempt Daisy with Basil leaves and Parsley I was constantly waving them under her nose! Some people swear by dandelion leaves! I also put a shallow water bowl very close to her and frequently put it right under her nose to get her to drink! Is she warm enough I used vet bed and a snugglesafe and I kept my heating on! It took about 3 days for Daisys appetite to return properly but she was eating loads of herbs. Did your vet give you some extra painkiller to give her? I think that made a huge difference I split the dose half in the morning the other half in the evening and each time Daisy picked up and ate! If she hasn't eaten by this morning I might give the vet a call, if they cant see her earlier and if she hasn't got any metacam painkiller Id ask if I could pick some up! I hope she feels better and starts eating soon!

Thanks! I can understand her not fancing the food after what she has been through! I am going to buy some herbs and see if that will tempt her. I haven't got any extra painkiller and I know when we were booking the appointment yesterday the vet had a busy day with op's .... I will see how see goes this morning I think and if she still hasn't eaten then I will phone the vets at lunchtime and see what they say ...

A lot of people bring their bunnies inside for a few days to recover not only so they can keep a close watch on them but because they also find it difficult to regulate their temperatures, if you have one I would give her a snugglesafe as well! I have my fingers crossed that basil will tempt her!

A lot of people bring their bunnies inside for a few days to recover not only so they can keep a close watch on them but because they also find it difficult to regulate their temperatures, if you have one I would give her a snugglesafe as well! I have my fingers crossed that basil will tempt her!

It isn't really an option for me to bring her indoors, I dont have a snugglesafe but we do have a petshop in town so will pop down there in a mo to see if they have one. The vet did say she should be okay outside as long as she was out of the cold/wet etc.

Good news about the Kale :D I think its a case of persevering with wafting things under their noses as often as possible, even lots of treats as long as they eat. I felt so awful watching my little Daisy thinking it was all my fault she was hurting :(

Good news about the Kale :D I think its a case of persevering with wafting things under their noses as often as possible, even lots of treats as long as they eat. I felt so awful watching my little Daisy thinking it was all my fault she was hurting :(

I am feeling the same today!! I am looking at her and thinking 'i am so, so very sorry!' I have two more rabbits to go through this too, I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it all go away.

I was going to ask re the lots of treats bit as it only seems to be the kale that she is eating at the mo ....

I had to keep telling myself this is better than her having cancer later, but I still felt bad! Daisy mainly ate basil and parsley for 2 days and gradually started eating bits of her normal food, she didn't want all her fav treats mainly the pineapple & papaya chunks from HE! I let her have quite a lot to keep her eating and coz I was feeling guilty! As I said before it did make a difference giving her metacam for 3 days, it's such a big op and must be very painful for them :( If she's eating the kale Id just keep giving her what she wants but still tempt her with other things!

I had to keep telling myself this is better than her having cancer later, but I still felt bad! Daisy mainly ate basil and parsley for 2 days and gradually started eating bits of her normal food, she didn't want all her fav treats mainly the pineapple & papaya chunks from HE! I let her have quite a lot to keep her eating and coz I was feeling guilty! As I said before it did make a difference giving her metacam for 3 days, it's such a big op and must be very painful for them :( If she's eating the kale Id just keep giving her what she wants but still tempt her with other things!

thank you. I am off to the vets in a mo for her first check up (they get 3 post-op checks) so I will mention it to the vet and maybe see if I can get some for her. She hasn't touched the last lot of kale I put in :( but hopefully if the vet will give her some more pain relief that might help too.

As others have said, mine won't eat their normal food for up to 2 days after a spay, I find that hand-picked grass, raspberry leaves and dandelions are taken with relish though, although not always until the night time after a spay.

Dandelion leaves worked with all of mine although a couple of them did have to go back for an additional pain killer jab.

Sending lots of healing vibes.

Rabswood

It all sounds like good news hopefully the extra painkiller will help her feel a bit better and she'll eat some more!

It all sounds like good news hopefully the extra painkiller will help her feel a bit better and she'll eat some more!

Thanks and yes she has! Since we got back from the vets, I have seen her eat some hay, dandelion leaves, thyme and some more kale! yippee x

Back