• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Big scab on neck

Squizz

Alpha Buck
Hi,

At the weekend we spotted a big scab on the back of one our buns necks. I'd say it is close to 3cm long and it looks very thick.

I'd be surprised if this was an injury from a fight, as he lives with 3 other buns, but I've never seen him picked on. They chase and nip when they get excited about food, but certainly nothing to cause this type of injury.

He was neutured 2.5 weeks ago - could this be a reaction to an injection they gave him at the time of the op?

Thanks for reading x

I am going through exactly the same with Truffle at the minute. She has a scab in possibly the same place and exactly the same size. Could be a reaction to baytril injection given after neuter/spay. Truffle is never picked on either. Her scab is quite thick and very big - its grown infact.

I am quite worried about her - her partner (Bean) is in at the vets for a dental today and obviously she has to go along too so the vets are going to check it out for me as wounds/scabs can often get abscessed.

I think there is a good chance that both of us have a bun with the same problem! Baytril Burn.

There are a couple of threads about it in Health section.

Maybe ring up your vet and see if he had a baytril injection? Also, has he had a VHD injection in past three - four weeks?

Hi,

At the weekend we spotted a big scab on the back of one our buns necks. I'd say it is close to 3cm long and it looks very thick.

I'd be surprised if this was an injury from a fight, as he lives with 3 other buns, but I've never seen him picked on. They chase and nip when they get excited about food, but certainly nothing to cause this type of injury.

He was neutured 2.5 weeks ago - could this be a reaction to an injection they gave him at the time of the op?

Thanks for reading x

Yes, it may well be a reaction to the antibiotic injection he had when neutered.
As long as the area is clean and dry it should heal well. But it may take a couple of weeks to do so.
I would mention it to your Vet so as the details can be recorded on your Bun's records for future reference.
If the area starts to look weepy or very inflamed then you need to get the Vet to take a look at it.

My bun had that when I got him from a rescue. Couldn't pin down what it was as he was neutered, microchipped and vaccinated all around the same time. It healed nicely though so I wouldn't worry if I were you unless as Jack's-Jane has already suggested it looks infected or he seems bothered by it.

Hope it heals soon

My bun had that when I got him from a rescue. Couldn't pin down what it was as he was neutered, microchipped and vaccinated all around the same time. It healed nicely though so I wouldn't worry if I were you unless as Jack's-Jane has already suggested it looks infected or he seems bothered by it.

Hope it heals soon

Thanks!

Vet confirmed he did have Baytril, so I have had this noted on his records. he doesn't seem at all bothered so I will just keep an eye on it. Thanks all

Back