• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i feel sick with worryU?D all is well

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
I've just adopted Ralph who has pastruella. but i read a thread there in helath section. jack jane posted loads of info. but now i'm all flustered and worried. will my other buns get this? Ralph doesn't have runny eyes nor head tilt. but will he evetually get this, he's also so thin. feeling a bit stressed :( need a bit of reassurence.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I can really be of any reassurance but just wanted to say that I've got a pasturella bunny too....shes got a very blocked nose and has had bad eyes too but theyre looking a bit better.

We're off to the vet this morning and will probably be changing treatment to penecillin injections ....I will just say that Ive been advised to keep her away from other bunnies in case she passes it on to them.

I know how you're feeling ,hopefully the antibiotics your bunny is on will sort it out for him.x

Thinking of you.

thanks biscuitblossom. he really isn't too bad compared. but he's right beside my teddy. will know more on wednesday. thank for your post.

Two of my buns archie and fudge have pasteurella, they live in the same room as mowgli who has never shown any signs of it and he used to live with fudge. Both rabbits were treated with baytril which helped but as soon as they come off it their symptoms return :( Think we're also going to try them both with penecillin, just trying to find information about it first.

Archies had pasteurella for a long time that he wasn't treated for by his previous owners, he has dental problems and is now recovering from an abscess removal which the vet thinks was caused by him having pasteurella but it could also be caused by his teeth. Fudges symptoms are not as bad as archies, he has a runny nose and is slightly chesty sometimes.

I hope ralph will be okay xx

:wave: Hi Ted an Petal

Sorry I don't have anything to add about pasteurella as I haven't had a bun with it, I just wanted to ask how Ralph's doing now you've got him home and how you're finding it having a third bun? (apart from worrying, obviously!)

hey bunshine
Thankyou, ralph is settling in really well, seems to be really enjoying his space and is loving the attention. finding it hard juggling my time between them so can't wait to get him bonded, hopefully with petal as Ted is jealous of him. have been a bit stressed as all new to giving meds etc. but glad to have him and hope to help him recover and let a very happy life as he deserves it. :love:

Glad to hear he's settling in well! Looking at Ted's pic in your siggy I can imagine her getting jealous for some reason:lol:

:lol: she's a right wee madam. she def belongs to me. i think maybe cos she's my first and i spent so much time with her. was wondering why she was annoyed with me and i realised i was missing her and she must have been missing all my attention. cheeky thing. :lol: yeah wee ralph is getting on grea tand is loving things at the moment, just would like to see him fatter and healthier :)

lol i know i'll post some this evening. get some more of him. he's so noisy and keeps poking his nose at the camera lol :lol:

Aww bless him, glad he's setteling in well. I have had a few buns with snuffles before and they have lived in pairs/groups and the other rabbits ahve never got it. I have a pair now, Bootz and Max, Bootz has developed snuffles in her chest yet Max and the oethr buns in the shed are all fine. Bootz has a course of baytril every two weeks, as nothing else seems to help and as soon as she comes off ab's her chest gets all girgly again. Just keep an eye on Ted and Petal and see what your vet suggests about keeping Ralphs infection under crontol xxx

I'm expecting lots of pics of up his nose now
:lol::lol:

Aww bless him, glad he's setteling in well. I have had a few buns with snuffles before and they have lived in pairs/groups and the other rabbits ahve never got it. I have a pair now, Bootz and Max, Bootz has developed snuffles in her chest yet Max and the oethr buns in the shed are all fine. Bootz has a course of baytril every two weeks, as nothing else seems to help and as soon as she comes off ab's her chest gets all girgly again. Just keep an eye on Ted and Petal and see what your vet suggests about keeping Ralphs infection under crontol xxx
thats great thanks phill. yeah will be seeing the vet on wendesday. well petal is outside at the moment poor thing but ted is beside him. my girls are very healthy so hoping that stands to them. he doesn't seem to bad from what i've read about the syptoms so hopefully he'll be fine. thanks for the advice. very much appreciated.

I've got several bunnies with pasturella and they are partenered up with other bunnies who don't have it and have never shown any signs of having it, try not to worry too much, I am sure they will be fine, good luck and keep us updated

There are, I think, about 20 different strains of snuffles.
Some buns will have immunity to some strains, so depending which strain your new bun has, your already resident bun may never suffer from it.

I would definately request a course of depocillin to try to knock the past. on the head..there is a risk with penicillin drugs but I've found baytril doesn't touch snuffles:?

Apart from that have his teeth checked, don't change him from a warm room indoors to outside too often as this can aggrevate it and giving him pro and pre biotics in his drinking water will help to boost his immune system

There are, I think, about 20 different strains of snuffles.
Some buns will have immunity to some strains, so depending which strain your new bun has, your already resident bun may never suffer from it.

I would definately request a course of depocillin to try to knock the past. on the head..there is a risk with penicillin drugs but I've found baytril doesn't touch snuffles

Apart from that have his teeth checked, don't change him from a warm room indoors to outside too often as this can aggrevate it and giving him pro and pre biotics in his drinking water will help to boost his immune system

thats great thankyou honeybunny.well speak to the vet about depocillin, thing is i was reading through his notes and it didn't say anything about pastruella (i'm assuming the vet forgot to write this down) or that he had a culture done so i will request that this is done. yeah the girl gave me pro biotic to put in his water. his poos are better since i've stopped giving him veg. his teeth where checked and are fine. he's eating like a trooper and eating loads of hay too.

Hey there beautiful bunnies Ted and Petel. Poor little Ralph. aww.

Oh where do I start with snuffles :cry:

I am at my wits end with Kirk. He was on bayril and that cleared it then after a few days his discharge and squeeky popping sounds returned :( I've been back to the vets and now he's on Metacam and Septrin.

But it is a MARE getting him to take his meds - he just wants to be left in peace poor little mite - I really don't like stressing him out like this. It's so EASY the vet telling me to put drops of it on his favourite treats or down dandylion stalks. He's knows what we're up to and he isn't interested. We have to hold him and I have to syringe feed the meds. Twice a day and he doesn't like it one bit :roll:

He lives with Daisy and she is very fit and healthy. If it was her that had snuffles at least she would take her meds. :lol:

Good luck!

aw thankyou bridget i hope your kirk gets better, i am lucky that ralph doesn't seem to reject the meds, but he's getting better now and is starting to show his cheeky side :lol: which i'm very pleased about.

well took Ralph to the vets tonight there, vet thought he was okay and has given him and anitbotic injection instead, which also saves me feeding his meds to him. he weighs 1.4kg :(. however the vet advised me not to put him with other rabbits, not ever :shock: so ofcourse i came out all annoyed for a number of reasons, but phoned the girl from the rescue and she reassured me and i'm gonna go ahead and chance bonding him with petal. my girls are really healthy and ralph isn't that bad with it only a snoty noise. so thumbs up guys. want to get some more weight on him for his next vet visit. might bring him into the house at the weekend and slowly increase his run around time cos i think this will help him get rid of stuff and the space seems to be helping already. thanks guys for all your support and advice, very much appreciated. :):love:

Back