• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worrying about Spey

Peanut-Toffee

Warren Veteran
Hi,
I have an approimately 10month old female bun and am planning on getting her speyed next payday, so in about 1 months time. Shes still very friendly but does run round my feet grunting and occasionally nips gently at my leg! So I definitely think its time!
Im worried though as back in January she ha a bout of stasis, she was straight to the vets and had injections and stuff to take home, she was ok within 24hours luckily! Last night she had a little set back again, she didnt eat and wasnt pooing, I gave her 1 lot of the medicine from last time along with tummy rubs, and within half an hour she'd done some very small poos and was back to running around!
Now, the point in this post is, will she be ok with a spey after suffering from stasis twice? How soon should she eat after it?
Her poos have never been 'right', they're always quite dark and not normally THAT big really. She does eat a fair bit of hay, but maybe not as much as she should do. And shes on Excel Pellets, 1 handful twice a day. What am I doing wrong?

If you reduce her pellets to just one handful a day, she may eat more hay.

Some buns are more prone to stasis though:D. You seem to be catching it early though. I had a bill ill for a week with it

Would that make her poos better too?

Could do. When one of my buns kindly opened the excel bag & the group spent all day munching on pellets:oops::roll:, all their poos were tiny, soft & a bit darker. They firmed up after a couple of days of just hay:oops:

Since reading all the advice from bunny savvy people on here we've totally change how we feed Gwen and its def made a difference. She was on museli type food and I kept her bowl full all the time!!:oops: She must have thought she was in all you can eat heaven!
She now has hay all day and a handful of science selective pellets at night when she goes to bed (with a few greens thrown in ) I ve noticed that not only does she now eat hay with enthusiasm (before she didnt really bother) but her poos have become much rounder, bigger and more golden in colour and touch wood in the year we've ha her she hasnt had a single problem!

Back