• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

breeding...

PearlyGirl

Mama Doe
Hi all, can you tell me at what age a bun can get pregnant?
can scent glands be mistaken for early testicles???
I thought i had two boys but now it seems Stu could be girl afterall so i am getting worried!!!

Stu is supposedly 9 weeks although i have been told on here it's more likely 6 or seven weeks as he/she is tiny and dumpling is 10/11 weeks old.

Also what age can they be neutered from?!

Help!!!

I think it is 21 weeks for females and 12 weeks or when the testicles have dropped for males. I think the best option is to get the vets to correctly sex the bunnies.

Oh i am worried....hopefully if stu is a girl then she is too young, fingers crossed. Dumpling is at the vets saturday so i will take Stu as well i think!

My female rabbit was living with a male rabbit - I got them both when they were about 12 wks and the female was about 6 months before she became pregnant.

Best to get a vet to double check the sex of them both and seperate if they are boy/girl and re-bond once they are netured.

Phew, maybe i still have time then!!! i was dreaming last night about bunny babies lol....i even rang my hubby in the czech republic cos i had got myslef in a state last night when i realised!!! :oops:

My female rabbit was living with a male rabbit - I got them both when they were about 12 wks and the female was about 6 months before she became pregnant.

I think that was more luck than anything.

Males need separating from females by 10-12 weeks as soon as their plums drop, as females can get pregnant not long after

I think that was more luck than anything.

Males need separating from females by 10-12 weeks as soon as their plums drop, as females can get pregnant not long after

I was told it was about 16 wks for female but I suppose it is like humans, some can do it really quickly and for some it take a little longer. I am not taking any chances with my two 'baby' buns though, they have been seperated and are just waiting until they are old enough to be netured and re-bonded.

Have you looked at "sexing buns"? Its really useful, has pictures and info. As you have 2 rabbits to compare you should be able to tell if the opening is the same for each or one is more circular than the other.

Yeahi have looked but Stu is so tiny!! it does look more like a girl, bit on either side under the fur are too tiny little bumps. Could these be the scent glands???

I couldn't tell you I'm afraid! I was looking out for "bits" when we realised Fizzy was going to be a boy and I have to say I couldn't find them! When I had the vet look a second time she really had to part the fur and search around - easy when you know what to look for I'd say but not otherwise.

I was told varying things about when I needed to separate.

I separated at 15/16 weeks (it was winter) and had him done at 4months, the soonest our vet would do him I was told. She was done at 22 weeks I think but they are not yet back together - its a long job. It seems some vets will do the boys as soon as their bits drop so long as they are healthy and a good weight so I would get them checked by your vet and go from there.

Thank you! glad it's not just me who is frantically looking lol, i think stu thinks i am obsessed at the moment lol! I think my vet will do from 5 months but i am there saturday for dumpling's injection so will ask then, as hr def. has his plums!!! :)

I had my doe neutered at 16 weeks and the vet told me they neuter from 12 weeks (although the receptionist told me from 16 weeks). However, she was concerned about her size when I took her in. The vet told me that the younger they neuter, the fewer complications there are.

I got my neutered buck from a rescue centre. The lady who ran it said she'd found a vet who will neuter bucks as soon as the testicles drop, but don't stay down. Apparently, they drop and then go back-up again and it's a while after this before they descend permanently. So long as they have dropped once (and gone back up), this vet said she could ease them down herself to neuter the buck.

Back