• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What have your bunnies taught you?

bunnylover177

Alpha Buck
What can you do now that you couldn't do before you had bunnies? I was thinking about that as I expertly wired a new plug on to my lamp AGAIN this morning. Don't need to explain why to you lot! :lol:

I have also learnt how to use a drill, how to make wire panels which don't wobble, lots of medical stuff I never knew before e.g someone was talking about their spondyliktis and I was able to tell them I knew all about it cause my rabbit has it (they looked at me 'funny' :roll:). I can also give injections!

I know how to grow cabbage and brocoli and this year I am going to learn how to stop the caterpillars eating them!:lol:

Not to mention all the stuff I could really do with learning e.g. how to get orange rabbit pee off my carpets and the fabric repair skills I really need although at least my friends are now all used to the holes in my furniture and curtains...

I have learned how to remove wall paper (well, what's left of it) and redecorate.:roll::roll:

I have learned how to effectively use zip ties in securing a rabbit condo.

I have learned that my boyfriend actually does like rabbits! :) And that he enjoys a good binky with the two cuddle monsters. :lol:

I have learned not to leave anything lying around in the house, not even for 10 seconds, or I will have to buy a new one. I have an extremely tidy house thanks to Dylan:D:love:

What can you do now that you couldn't do before you had bunnies? I was thinking about that as I expertly wired a new plug on to my lamp AGAIN this morning. Don't need to explain why to you lot! :lol:

I have also learnt how to use a drill, how to make wire panels which don't wobble, lots of medical stuff I never knew before e.g someone was talking about their spondyliktis and I was able to tell them I knew all about it cause my rabbit has it (they looked at me 'funny' :roll:). I can also give injections!

I know how to grow cabbage and brocoli and this year I am going to learn how to stop the caterpillars eating them!:lol:

Not to mention all the stuff I could really do with learning e.g. how to get orange rabbit pee off my carpets and the fabric repair skills I really need although at least my friends are now all used to the holes in my furniture and curtains...

How are the fluffballs :D:D

Seriously, I think the most important thing I have learned is to trust my instrincts and to act promptly on them. Sometimes I just get a "feeling" that somethings not right when I look at one of the pets, nothing to put your finger on but just a subtle difference, the rest of the family will go "looks ok to me" but I am usually right and have learnt only to listen to myself.

In the past we hav learned how to "splice in" a new piece of wallpaper so it looks like it has never been chewed, to be inventive with cardboard boxes and how to scrounge for things on freecycle - like lino to line the hutches.

Learned how to negotiate with Sky when rabbit chewed all the outside cables. :shock:

Learned how to negotiate with the neighbours over escaped rabbits. :oops:

Learned how to negotiate with husband over rabbit wee on the sofa (and his inability to watch the football on Sky due to the aforementioned chewed cables). :lol:

But they're worth it! :D

they have taught me that if i dont put them abed by 8pm then they come out and make it harder :lol::lol::lol::roll:

They've taught me to be less houseproud & not give a stuff if there is hay & poop on the floor! I used to be a nightmare & would spend hours cleaning each week, now I don't care about housework - I don't have time to anymore with so many buns to care for & clean out! :shock::lol:

They've also taught me how good they are at relieving stress just by being close to them:love:

I have learnt that you cant have OCD and have a rabbit!

I have also learnt to accept the fact that hay is everywhere!

my rabbits have been my first adult experiance with death. through them i learnt love and the pain of loss. i know now how intelligant and capable of emotions only previously contributed to humanity a 'mere animal' can be. they have opened my eyes to the knowledge that all life is sacred, the value of each is equal and each should be treasued.
i am aware that the above makes me sound a bit of a religous nut but i believe that my buns have made me a better human being. because of them i have a greater respect for myself, for the earth and for all life.
....and shavings on my carpet.

my rabbits have been my first adult experiance with death. through them i learnt love and the pain of loss. i know now how intelligant and capable of emotions only previously contributed to humanity a 'mere animal' can be. they have opened my eyes to the knowledge that all life is sacred, the value of each is equal and each should be treasued.
i am aware that the above makes me sound a bit of a religous nut but i believe that my buns have made me a better human being. because of them i have a greater respect for myself, for the earth and for all life.
....and shavings on my carpet.

Too right! I can't put it as well, but it is though I can see animals including rabbits as rabbity little personalities with their own interests and type of intelligence different from me but as important in their own way. Trying to understand bunnies and see the world through their eyes and noses somehow enlargens me. Beats me why so many others don't get it :(

Mine have taught me that a mouthful of panacur paste can ruin a sweater and that rabbit claws hurt :lol::lol:

I have learnt

CONSTANT VIGILANCE!

but also

101 ways to adapt a 8ft or a 3ft hutch
How to design and build a rabbit run/hutch
How to bunny proof a garden
baytril tastes very bitter
panacur can be hidden in barley rings
panacur gets everywhere
how to administer metacam in a tiny bunny
how to syring a bunny

I have also learnt lots of bunny language e.g.

snort - stop trying to pick me up or I will bite you
nudge nudge - move your leg it is in my way or I will bite you
curious sniffing of fingers - Is this a carrot, I will bite it to make sure
curious sniffing of foot - I don't like this smell I will bite it off for the protection of all rabbits with sensitive noses.

and the panda special kung fu stance which means "Surrender broom or prepare to meet you doom"

Last edited:
I have learned to appreciate bales of hay and that it's okay for your neighbours to give you funny looks when you can be heard enthusing about the aroma and colour etc in the same way you would talk about a bottle of wine:shock::lol:

Back