• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

heavy breathing?

shannon321

Alpha Buck
Bunny seems to be breathing quite heavy/fast and i dont know if im just being a worrier but do rabbits tend to breath quite fast normally? she's not changed activity wise what so ever and i dont know why im only noticing it now....
i looked for a topic on here but couldn't find anything that describes rabbits normal breathing.
I cant here her breathing its just her flanks going up and down

Rabbits tend to breath very fast if nervous or hot in my experience. Is your bunny housed outdoors or indoors? Is she wheezing or coughing?

It could be that she got hot today in the sun or that something has spooked her. If she's wheezing or coughing I would check other treads on here and phone the vets tomorrow just to get her checked over.

It maybe that all is fine and you're just noticing it for the first time but I'm the same and worry very easily.

If she has increased respiratory rate and effort that cannot be attributed to being hot or stressed then it is indicative of a health problem.
I would advise you to take her to your Vet tomorrow morning.

Is she spayed btw ?

no, not spayed yet but its something im gonna arrange for the end of next month.
shes indoor in the evenings outdoor at night, she has plenty of shade in therun and a big bowl of water that she likes to have a little dip in to cool herself down and its certainly not been warm down here today no sun and quite chilly so i dont thinks she's over heated.
she seems to do it 24hours a day wether resting or after a crazy spurt of running around, no weezing or coughing what so ever, my dad seems to think she's always done it but he's useless at noticing things (like most men)
Is it normal to be able to see there flanks going up and down?

Well its not normal to see the flanks going up and down very fast, but it's worse if the flanks are going in and out quite fast (if you get my meaning).
Is she eating and drinking fine? How about her weeing and pooping?

If it's something that has come on quite suddenly then she will need a vet :?

One of our many mottoes :oops::oops: "If in doubt, get to the vet":D

yes if that worries you, if you think her breathing is not normal, I would go to the vet... Rabbits' breath is quite fast after running or when very hot or when they are in pain, so it is difficult to explain in writing of course

dont worry im always at the vet for the most stupid things, im not one of those wait and see people its certainly not come on suddenly ive been watching it for a few days and just trying to remember if she's always been like that as nothing else has changed weeing and pooping fine drinking and eating although has eaten barely any hay for a week as she doesnt like this new one (excel ready grass or something?!?) i got, but ive got a sample pack from the hay experts arriving tomorrow morning so she can choose which one she likes! other than that she's fine the only thing thats changed thats just come to me that im now a little concerned about is usually when i bring her in from her run she runs from one end to the other till i finally trick her and manage to catch but she's not been putting up much of a fight when brought inside (she doesnt like to be picked up and needs firm handling but loves a cuddle and stroke) but that conicides exactly with me making her a much much bigger nic cage and i felt that she was happier coming back in now......maybe not think it may be a vet trip tomorrow

unknown unforetuneatly, from what i can put together from the limited info i got when she was dumped on me she's at least 2 and possibly as old as 4? maybe? i really couldn't say and i keep forgettin to ask my vet when i go!!

unknown unforetuneatly, from what i can put together from the limited info i got when she was dumped on me she's at least 2 and possibly as old as 4? maybe? i really couldn't say and i keep forgettin to ask my vet when i go!!

I would definately take her to the Vet tomorrow as an unspayed Doe aged 4 is at risk of Uterine problems which can spread to the lungs causing laboured breathing.

Hows your bunny? Did you go to the vets?

I would definately get her spayed, i had a bunny get cancer due to problems with spaying so would always advice it now.

Back