• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training help, and your experiences? :)

chloway

New Kit
Bubba, my young male (8 weeks) has settled in extremely well and is a house rabbit (although he has access to a run during part of the day.)

So far i've moved the litter tray into the corner of his cage which he tends to urinate in most, it has carefresh in it with a layer of hay over the top as i've read it encourages them to use it more?

He leaves pills all over his cage, and i'm wondering...Do I put those into his tray or leave them around his cage? Also, when he is out of the cage indoors he has a large litter tray which he does sit in all the time, but he still pees outside of it on the blanket I put down for him as he doesn't like to walk on the wood floor. So far i've been putting him straight into the tray the minute I see his tail lift or as soon as he begins to pee, but I never seem to get there fast enough! Is this the right thing to do? I know he is only young so it will take him some time to learn, but i'm just looking for some feedback on your own litter training experiences :)

thanks! :D

Last edited:
Ours became litter trained on their own as soon as they were on vinyl flooring because they didn't like to pee on it :lol: Maybe just give your lad the option of the litter tray and no blanket for a while until he gets the idea.

Ours had a little soft cat bed for awhile but it kept becoming a litter tray so in the end I had to take it off them the silly buns :roll: :lol:

Thanks :) is there any way you got your buns used to the hard flooring? Bubba grunts when i've tried to set him down onto it, I think he hates it because he slips around a bit. After he's had some practice walking on it, do you think he will get used to it?

Thanks :) is there any way you got your buns used to the hard flooring? Bubba grunts when i've tried to set him down onto it, I think he hates it because he slips around a bit. After he's had some practice walking on it, do you think he will get used to it?

Dylan was like this, he would only walk on carpet. We moved house recently and his room has a wood floor, i basically didn't give him a choice, if he wanted to get out of his box he had to walk on the floor. It took him about 10 min to get used to it and now he loves it, he likes to run and skid down our corridor :lol:. I felt awful doing this to him but it was our only option. Litter training was a long messy process for us. I used to do what you are doing now, as soon as i seen his tail lift, i was there in a flash putting him in his tray. I eventually got Dylan to pee in his tray by treating him with his favorite treats and giving him lost of praise and attention every time he went in his tray. I found that he was easier to litter train when he had been neutered. He is such a good boy now, he has full run of the house but he always goes back to his room and uses his litter tray. All of the hard work and persistence over 6 months really has paid off, so don't give up :D :wave:

Last edited:
I simply put Boris in his cage,shut him in and waited..then gave him a treat every time he used the litter tray. He definately got the message :lol: and I have never had a problem since.

Back