• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Rabbit's Myxo Side Effects

SheenaT

New Kit
I have just taken my rabbit Muffin for her 1st ever Myxomatosis jab, and when she got back, she seems really scared of me, hardly drinks any water and doesn't hardly move!
She's still eating, but now is afraid to eat from my hand, it has only been a couple of days since the jab, so I'm hoping it'l wear off, but shes going to have her VHD jab in a couple of weeks and I'm worried she'll react the same way, or even worse, why is she behaving so strangely??? she is usually really friendly and hyperactive.

It could be from the stress of being picked up, put in a carrier and taken to the vets: quite stressful for a little bun if you think about it. I would mention it to the vets though just in case it is a side-effect because if so they'll need to report it.

yeah, i guess it could be, because we put her in a proper carrier for the first time, she usually goes to the vets in the box she came in........until she weed through it, haha! yes, i will tell the vets, I'm going back there in a couple of weeks, thanks so much for your help! xxx

VHD side effects

Hello. Please ask they vets about side effects of the VHD vaccination. At the momment i have a very very sick bun from this injection. I wont be letting her have it again thats for sure. She is so poorly. I dont know if many buns have side effects from them but put it this way my bunny has been to the vets nearly 4 times in the past week
x
x

Not trying to scare you its just one of those things everyone need to know side effects do happen

Hello. Please ask they vets about side effects of the VHD vaccination. At the momment i have a very very sick bun from this injection. I wont be letting her have it again thats for sure. She is so poorly. I dont know if many buns have side effects from them but put it this way my bunny has been to the vets nearly 4 times in the past week
x
x

Not trying to scare you its just one of those things everyone need to know side effects do happen

That's Cylap though right? Lapinject shouldn't have any side affects. Just make sure you ask them (now, so they can order it in) for Lapinject.

As for her being scared of you, just spend lots and lots of time with her. Is she a house bun? Lie on the floor with her, and feed her her favourite treats from your hand. Keep the rest of her diet really boring (just hay and grass, with some bland veg like cucumber and celery) so when you offer her carrot, herbs and other treats she's more tempted. She WILL trust you again, it's just one of those things you have to work through. :)

Thank you for the info. I planning to have my bunny vaccinated with VHD. Now I'm aware to ask questions about the side effects of the vaccine.

Back