• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Problems,problems...

Daisylop

Mama Doe
one of my parents foster buns has recently been diagnosed with head tilt ,thought to be caused by E.C. When they first took it to the vets it was given baytril and metoclopramide by injection and they were sent home with baytril and panacur.The baytril is now finished and yesterday dad said that the head tilt seemed worse slightly.At no point were any anti-inflammatories given.I'm wondering if the head tilt is maybe due to an inner ear infection as now the baytril is finished it appears worse.They are continuing with panacur.Should the baytril start again?I'm concerned as whatever the cause I feel the bunny needs metacam,however this has never been mentioned by the vet and mum and dad feel they dont want to be telling the vet her job.They live not far from Aberdeen and I'm in Warwickshire-so too far away for me to take to vets.How can they persuade the vet to give anti-inflammatories [and make her think its her idea]? Failing that does anyone know of a rabbit savvy vet in the north east of Scotland?

no idea abouot a rabbit savvy vet but make sure the course of pannacur was 28days minimum to activly fight ec as 9days is only for worming purposes,
also i would suggest metacam for its antiinflammatry uses to the vet, most vets are open to new ideas but possibly giving your vet the telephone number of a more rabbit savvyvet to discuss this with would help?

Back