• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Terrible decision to make - what should I do?

Ragtag

New Kit
Hi
I am in a terrible situation. My bunny was not well at the beginning of April and after intensive vet treatment (staying in over night and all day and a bill of nearly £300), they thought he had EC. However, after baytril and panacur, he seemed to pull round and was back to "normal". I thought we were out of the woods, even though the vets told me it could come back anytime and that his quality of life would need to be assessed, I wasn't expecting it to happen only a few weeks later.

On friday, he started to wobble again, and has gone off food, I've only seen him eat small amounts and his droppings are very small and hard. It is easy to see there is a problem. Thinking that he was all ok from last time I have booked to go away tomorrow until friday. I am thinking that after all the pulling around for him and the money I have spent (not that I mind spending money, but how many times can I keep spending £300), would it be kinder to put my poor little fellow to sleep tomorrow before I go, or should I explain to the carer that I will review him on friday when I get home. It seems unfair to both of them to leave it this way. God help me, I don't know what to do for the best and I am crying my eyes out worrying about this. Are there any other options that I can think of. I would cancel my holiday, but that's not fair on my partner and we have others relying on us to go to. I can't see any way, my little bunny will ever have a good life if he keeps getting struck with EC - what am I to do? :cry:

A wobble doesn't mean he's going to have problems forever, or that this is even related. i would get him to the vets for treatment and see what they think. If your friend is unable or unwilling to give him the treatment he needs while you are away i would either cancel or see if the vets are able to keep him in until you get back, although this may be expensive so get a quote first

These things always happen at the worst possible times, don't they? You must be so stressed.

Did you use bleach to thoroughly clean the environment during and after Panacur treatment? It's the only disinfectant that kills the spores. (10% solution and leave for half an hour - I used to use it in a spray gun).

OMG! I was not told to disinfect anything!! Ooohh noo. My vet only advised me to panacur for 3 days on the first occasion and he had 6 days of Baytril with a steroid drug too. I had some panacur left over so I have been giving it to him since friday, but he still seems to be deteriorating. Is there any way back from this? Starlights, I am pming you.

Uuggghhh!!

Did your Rabbit have an anti-inflammatory aswell as the Baytril/Panacur?
Anti-inflammatories are an essential part of the treatment of EC as it is the inflammation caused by the EC spores that leads to cell damage and clinical symptoms.

No way would I personally consider PTS at this stage but I would want Bun back on treatment (Panacur/Baytril/Metacam and possibly gut motility meds in the short term)

I am sorry you are in this situation but I am affraid if push came to shove I would have to cancel my holiday if it were one of my Rabbits who was sick.

Yes but he needs 4-6 weeks of panacur, an antibiotic such as septrin, and an anti-inflammatory. A full recovery is possible. You need to treat any other rabbits with 28 days of panacur. I hope you can get him sorted, but you might need to see a different vet to get the right treatment.
Edit: He probably needs fluids as well.

OMG! I was not told to disinfect anything!! Ooohh noo. My vet only advised me to panacur for 3 days on the first occasion and he had 6 days of Baytril with a steroid drug too. I had some panacur left over so I have been giving it to him since friday, but he still seems to be deteriorating. Is there any way back from this? Starlights, I am pming you.

Uuggghhh!!

The Panacur course needs to be a minimum of 28 days.
I would maybe suggest seeking a second opinion from a Vet more up-to-date on their knowledge about Rabbits.

Whereabouts in Essex are you? Maybe somebody could recommend a good vet if your carer would be willing to take the bun there while you are away?

The bunny did have the anti inflammatory as well as panacur/baytril. The vet I took him to at first was an emergency vet and they kept him all night until the morning and then my usual vet took over. The bunny seemed to recover after a few days, but I initially took him to the vet with a weepy eye, maybe the stress of this bought on the EC.

I will have no choice but to cancel my break unless I can get a suitable resolution and started on txs again. Ohhh dear, work has been so stressful, I was looking forward to getting away, but animals have to come first don't they??

I am near Chelmsford so don't know if anyone knows of any fantastic bunny vets?

The bunny did have the anti inflammatory as well as panacur/baytril. The vet I took him to at first was an emergency vet and they kept him all night until the morning and then my usual vet took over. The bunny seemed to recover after a few days, but I initially took him to the vet with a weepy eye, maybe the stress of this bought on the EC.

I will have no choice but to cancel my break unless I can get a suitable resolution and started on txs again. Ohhh dear, work has been so stressful, I was looking forward to getting away, but animals have to come first don't they??

If you PM Santa she may be able to help re recommending a good Vet.

I am so sorry for your little rabbit.. I hope you find a solution to get him treated.. I am also surprised, (it is the same overhere) that vets do not always think of telling the owners to desinfect the place after a disease, or which is necessary to instaure quaranteens for other pets or when introducing new pets..

Hi
I am in a terrible situation. My bunny was not well at the beginning of April and after intensive vet treatment (staying in over night and all day and a bill of nearly £300), they thought he had EC. However, after baytril and panacur, he seemed to pull round and was back to "normal". I thought we were out of the woods, even though the vets told me it could come back anytime and that his quality of life would need to be assessed, I wasn't expecting it to happen only a few weeks later.

OMG how strange my bunny had the exact same thing at the beggining of April and our vets thought it was E.c. he had to stay 2 nights at the vets for treatment to. Thankfully he has been fine since, sorry to hear hes unwell again:( Im not sure what to suggest really, talk to your vet about the options? Hope he gets well x x x

you could pm starlights rabbit rescue.. kris, she may know a good vet enar you also try pming sarah jane..xmissysjx as she is near theere i believe. yes a 28day of pannacur is a minimum to activly treat it the 3 or 6 day courses will not do anything to be fair. he will need metacam anitiinflammtry and possibly baytril or stronger to fight any infection (it could be a middle ear infection if his balence is infected) tho i suspect ec. dont consider pts i can give you the telephone number of a very rabbit savvy vet nowhere near you but one who could prehaps offer advice adn speak to a vet more locally to you if this would help.. best of luck sorry you are cancelling your holiday but i probebly would to in your shoes x

I have sent you a pm too. I am in Rettendon and will care for your bunny while you're away if you'd like. I use Your Vets in Rayleigh who seem pretty bunny savvy - I'm very pleased with them. Let me know if you need to drop off your bun - I have a spare indoor cage.

sorry to hear your bunny isn't well. personally, i too would cancel a holiday if my buns needed me and weren't well, like other people have said. sending vibes for your bunny. :)

Everyone seems to be giving good advice, so all I can say is that I'll be praying for you. I really do hope your bun pulls through. :(

Back